air pressure on street tires

NukeGM/Ford

Reaction score
how low do you go with the air pressure on street tires when at the track??
I went from 50 PSI to 30 PSI and didnt really notice a difference, still lots of wheel spin.
times range from 14.1 to 14.3
at 95-99 MPH
2300 ft altitude, Las Vegas

thanks, back to the track tomorrow

how low do you go with the air pressure on street tires when at the track??
I went from 50 PSI to 30 PSI and didnt really notice a difference, still lots of wheel spin.
times range from 14.1 to 14.3
at 95-99 MPH
2300 ft altitude, Las Vegas

thanks, back to the track tomorrow

What was your 60'?

Stock street tires will work best at OEM pressure of 38 psi.

This allows the tire to maintain shape and not become concave in the center. Also, performing a "burnout" will overheat the tire and make it "greasy". Do NOT drive through the waterbox. Front tire will carry water onto your rear tires line. Drive around waterbox and do a very short wheelspin to clean / scuff the tires surface and then stage.

ARRESTmeRed04 is correct, there is a fine line at low RPM launch where you will either hook and go or spin. 1000 RPM above idle is a good place to start.

Good Luck and let us know how it goes.:)

yeah i got the no water box and no burn out thing, never did either of those

tried the launch from idle and from about 2 grand drop, doesnt seem to make a difference when i try to peddle it to stop the wheel hop/spinning, seems to run better when i just keep my foot in it and let it hook on its on. I guess i'm just to slow at peddling it to compensate

r/t 60' 330 1/8 MPH 1000 ET MPH
.162 2.251 6.178 9.346 78.54 12.031 14.298 99.85
idle start, peddled, 65 F temp, 2300 ft altitude, tire 50 PSI

.216 2.158 6.091 9.275 78.14 11.975 14.26 98.80
idle start, peddled, 75 F temp, 2300 ft altitude, tire 50 PSI

.201 2.237 6.176 9.352 78.23 12.043 14.315 99.53
2K drop, foot to floor, 80 F temp, 2300 ft altitude, tire 30 PSI

.027 2.173 6.035 9.202 78.23 11.892 14.170 99.20
2K drop, foot to floor, 85F temp, 2300 ft altitude, tire 30 PSI

i know it will get better when i get some traction helpers but that didnt happen in time for Mopars at the Strip this year so i'm trying to do the best that i can right now

so now i've got someone saying 20# and someone saying 38#, anyone else??

well the site took all the spaces out so i hope you can read those times.............

So your tires started off at 50 psi before removing air? Wayyy too much air.
Try 20psi and up to 30. See if there's a difference. Don't smoke tires in burnout box. Just clean them off with a quick spin and get to the line.

Yeah, didn't think of tire pressure till I got beat by another 10, MA pressure on those pirellis is 50 so I always run that way, never know when you have to go to home Depot. ....
The guys at the M&H tire trailer said that I can get away with 20-22, seems REALLY low to me

Taking forever to run 2day, lots of track cleaning.
Rt
/t .045, 60 ft 2.32, 1/4 14.030 100.92 mph , 26 psi tires

Best mph and ET so far. Drop em to 20 and kinda let em bite of the line then mash it. I'm gonna say slip the clutch around 2300 then get into it after she bites. You want the fine line between bogging and spinning. Easier to start on bogging side and gradually increase rpms

I run my fronts at 50 (reduces rolling resistance) and my rears at 22-25. I have cut consistent 1.9x 60 ft. times with that combination.

only got 3 runs yesterday, the single i posted last and a redlight/missed 3rd combination and then THE PERSONAL BEST SO FAR FOR ME AND ZILLA (the truck)

r/t -.001 (killing myself i guess, the tires are biting so much better that i have to change my light timing)

60ft,,, 2.181
330,,, 5.921
1/8,,,, 8.993
MPH,,, 80.78
1000,,, 11.631
ET,,,, 13.852
MPH,,,, 101.90
26 PSI, 2K drop (i think), 2300 ft altitude, some spin then slight bog then gone, 88F temp
hottest part of the day and the best run, go figure. i missed the 1st run fri and sat morning so i have know idea what she will do with the cooler air.
i've got to figure out a dial-in that will keep me in the hunt or i'm out the first round, maybe i can buy back in once i see what Zilla wants to do today.

running the Truck and the Stick class so i at least double my chances, of running more than once or breaking something, whichever comes first.......

maybe drop the air pressure a little more today and try slightly lower RPM or slipping clutch more. the staging area isnt quite level so Zilla rolls waiting for the lights so thats distracting me from everything else trying to keep her staged

thanks to everyone here for the help. I've run a slow automatic several times (16.00 +) but never a stick or this power before i got Zilla so today will be the start of our 11th run together (2 in Feb, 5 on Fri, 3 Sat)

I know some of you have had your truck for years and maybe the thrill wears off after buying tires, clutches, driveshafts, etc but

DAMN I LOVE THIS TRUCK!!!!!!:elefant::beer:

oh yeah i forgot the mods:

MagnaFlow cat back and Volant CAI

Friday nite i talked to Torrie about the SCT - I had originally asked him to set the tune for future mods (headers and throttle body) so it was running rich on the 91 tune. I added some VP racing octane booster (supposed to raise it up to 8 points and all i needed was 5 points). switched to the 96 tune and did some test hits on a remote road to check for detonation. Didnt hear any marbles running around in a coffee can so we went to the track, thats why we missed the 1st trial yesterday.

i'm hoping with the headers and throttle body it will really run

well, its all over, i didnt really think i was going to win my 1st time out........... well, maybe i secretly hoped........... anyway.............

Truck class went 5 rounds overall, i missed the 2-3 shift on round 3 so that one got pissed away

Stick class went 5 rounds overall, since i was still pissed at the 2-3 shift i ended up redlighting, -.025, and gave that one away also on round 3 :bawling:

still, didn't break any parts and still have some tread on tires, consistently in the 13.8-13.9 range now so i have to shove my fat head into a helmet (which makes my head look even bigger, if thats possible..........)

As a bonus, Zilla now has a NEW best on everything from just this weekend (although they were all on different runs, have to work on getting more consistent) all done at 24 PSI tire and 2K drop, 91 octane plus booster running 96 tune

13.831 ET - improvement of .50 seconds
101.90 MPH - improvement of 3.1 MPH
2.140 60ft - improvement of .66

now to work on some mods to help next time, thanks to everyone

Last edited:
That's a big change in your 60'! Good work, you will keep getting better. Go buy yourself some DR's and you should be able to trim off another couple tenths. :burnout::burnout:

Latest posts

Support Us

Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Back