Am I Crazy For Selling This? Or Am I Crazy For Asking So Much?

fun2xlr8

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hey folks. It has been tough to think about, but I have decided to put my Road Runner up on ebay. Tell me what you think, am I crazy for doing this, or am I crazy for asking so much for it? To me, it is not worth it to sell it for anything less, but I may be way off the ball. I guess I'll know in about ten days if I'm asking too much. If not, then I guess I'll have to get rid of her. Am I crazy for getting rid of something that could be worth so damn much if I just sunk 60 or 70 thousand into a quality restoration? The real issue is, I haven't got a clue where to send this thing to get a quality, reliable restoration.

Here's the link: http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/e...RK:MESE:IT&viewitem=&item=120078792203&rd=1,1

Greg

Man, that is a serious project hehe. I really have no idea what it is worth. I think the fact that the vin plate was removed really hurts the value though. BTW I think the Plymouth color was Sassy Grass Green.

I think the Nat's is the place to sell....but with e-bay you can cover a wider range. There are some top notch resto places with samples @ the Nats as well.

OCBob said:
Man, that is a serious project hehe. I really have no idea what it is worth. I think the fact that the vin plate was removed really hurts the value though. BTW I think the Plymouth color was Sassy Grass Green.

Yes, it is a serious project not for the faint of heart. The vin tag and fender tag being removed hurt a lot. I could probably ask $50k if those were still there. Big difference for such a tiny little piece of tin.

Greg

WAZZSUP said:
I think the Nat's is the place to sell....but with e-bay you can cover a wider range. There are some top notch resto places with samples @ the Nats as well.

Cool, that would give me an excuse to visit the nats!!:D If she doesn't sell, I'll keep that in mind. Thanks.

Greg

That car looks familiar, have you had it very long. I thought I saw that on Ebay within the last 2 years. Is the color Sublime or Sassy Grass green.

You must remember, that the vin tag is not just gone, but being used to fake another car. If the vin is still stamped on the radiator frame, and still on the upper right truck seal area, that helps but your car is still not worth as much because the vin will be disputed. Last year a real 68 Hemi Roadrunner that was totally complete but needed to be resored sold for $60,000. It would take a lot of legal (read expensive) court battles to ever get your car regestered the way it should be. I wish you all the best.

Bill.

There should be other noticeable differences that point out if it is a true Hemi car..... There should be additional unibody stiffening in the torque box area also.....

There is a fellow that specializes in decoding mysterious mopars even with out fender tags..... I can get you his name if you wish.... He does only mopars.

And there are plenty of restoration shops out there that specialize in Mopars only, Totally Auto in Pa. is one of the top shops- where are you located?

Begood said:
You must remember, that the vin tag is not just gone, but being used to fake another car. If the vin is still stamped on the radiator frame, and still on the upper right truck seal area, that helps but your car is still not worth as much because the vin will be disputed. Last year a real 68 Hemi Roadrunner that was totally complete but needed to be resored sold for $60,000. It would take a lot of legal (read expensive) court battles to ever get your car regestered the way it should be. I wish you all the best.

Bill.

Bill, thanks for the insight. I pretty much just bought the car to turn into a Hemi drag project for my son and I. But have been rethinking that lately based on the prices these cars have been commanding. I am not so much selling it so someone can go out and dispute the VIN, more just selling it so someone can restore it and make a nice non-numbers matching hemi car with little adaptation trouble. Much easier to take a car already equipped for a 4-speed and hemi than to take a 318 auto car and adapt those critical pieces. Like I said, I may be way off base with the price. Perhaps I won't get any bids or even so much as a phone call. Then I will know I was way off.

Greg

HaulinAsp said:
There should be other noticeable differences that point out if it is a true Hemi car..... There should be additional unibody stiffening in the torque box area also.....

There is a fellow that specializes in decoding mysterious mopars even with out fender tags..... I can get you his name if you wish.... He does only mopars.

And there are plenty of restoration shops out there that specialize in Mopars only, Totally Auto in Pa. is one of the top shops- where are you located?

I'm in Washington State and there are plenty of restoration shops. The good ones want to be paid in gold and you still need to know someone to get in. The ones you can get in are the ones you wouldn't take a car like this to. I would just like to find a nice, reputable shop that wants my business and isn't in California. I don't really need anyone to decode the car as I saw the parts that came out of this car in the other car they were donated to.

hemi killer said:
That car looks familiar, have you had it very long. I thought I saw that on Ebay within the last 2 years. Is the color Sublime or Sassy Grass green.

Nope, wasn't this car. It has been in my garage for more than two years. Perhaps you saw it when I posted pics on this forum six or eight months ago?

Greg

I would be surprised if it sold for more than 10,000 dollars at open auction. Actually, I would be shocked. I think 6-8k is more realistic.

You can get a Hemi engine for 10K nowadays, and these cars have been faked since the 70's, ok so I understand you believe its a legitimate car, but to others that are dyed in the wool Mopar owners-like myself-can duplicate a clone for way less the cost......

If it IS in fact a legitimate Hemi car I would try to invest some money into it to atleast make it presentable and then go out and ask your 20K.

Keep in mind good CLONED cars are even fetching big dollars at the auctions....

1Fast400 said:
I would be surprised if it sold for more than 10,000 dollars at open auction. Actually, I would be shocked. I think 6-8k is more realistic.

I was thinking 5-6K myself.... in present condition judging from the pics,

Personally I would keep it if you are 150% certain it is a legitimate Hemi car.

not a chance of selling for 20K IMO.

If it was a convertible, with a legitimate VIN and Fender tag, maybe. Regardless of how well that car is ever restored, it can never be a #'s matching car, which is required to carry the big bucks. You're pricing a B-body into E-body territory.

I agree with the under 10K crowd.

Ya with out the vin and without the original motor and trans to match the vin and to boot to restore it you will need aftermarket floor rear 1/4s ie nothign will be original .. so for what you do have there to offer id go 5k if your verry lucky ..

Hey, thanks for the input from everyone. You all have very legitimate points as to why 20k is too much. Thank you all for your input and candor. I knew I could count on the guys around here to give me some good feedback. I guess then maybe I should keep it and continue on the path I was on....to make it a cool hemi 4-speed drag car for my son and I to work on and race. I guess the delusions of grandure swept me up with all the Barrett-Jackson stuff.

Greg

fun2xlr8 said:
Hey, thanks for the input from everyone. You all have very legitimate points as to why 20k is too much. Thank you all for your input and candor. I knew I could count on the guys around here to give me some good feedback. I guess then maybe I should keep it and continue on the path I was on....to make it a cool hemi 4-speed drag car for my son and I to work on and race. I guess the delusions of grandure swept me up with all the Barrett-Jackson stuff.

Greg

The only thing I would try is to get that thing on Overhaulin:dontknow: yea thats the only thing I would try:D Should give Chip a call

FerrariTruck said:
The only thing I would try is to get that thing on Overhaulin:dontknow: yea thats the only thing I would try:D Should give Chip a call

Yeah, well, I think this beast is a bit more of a project than they have on that show. most of the cars they take can at least run!!

greg

Latest posts

Support Us

Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Back