Am I wasting my time?

srtaggie

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I took my truck to have the emission done yesterday and it failed the OBD test.

I had some warranty work done 8 days ago. I know that the battery was disconnected by the shop. The emissions place told me to go drive my truck for a couple of days and it should reset all of the settings in the pcm.

My question is will this help me? Will I ever pass with the performance pcm? They did not look under the truck or I would have been failed right away (no cats).

I'm in atlanta btw.

srtaggie said:
I took my truck to have the emission done yesterday and it failed the OBD test.

I had some warranty work done 8 days ago. I know that the battery was disconnected by the shop. The emissions place told me to go drive my truck for a couple of days and it should reset all of the settings in the pcm.

My question is will this help me? Will I ever pass with the performance pcm? They did not look under the truck or I would have been failed right away (no cats).

I'm in atlanta btw.
Think u need the cats

you failed because of youre cats.....thank god i live in fl

I have mentioned this before, but when you remove the cats, you are violating a federal law. They can nail your ass to the wall if they decide to make an example of you.

Good luck.

Silverback said:
I have mentioned this before, but when you remove the cats, you are violating a federal law. They can nail your ass to the wall if they decide to make an example of you.

Good luck.

Yep, pretty ballsy taking that to the emissions tester with NO CATS! :eek: :confused: :dontknow:

I think the fine is around $2500 - $5000 if they decide to sick the EPA on you.

Last edited:
I have the mopar pcm. Doesn't this computer not care if cats are present?

As far as the fine, I didn't know the truck didn't have cats on it...i just bought it;) ;) . The shop that I go to is cool with that stuff.

What difference would putting cats on it make? All they do is connect to the OBD port. They don't do a sniffer test in georgia unless its a 96 or older.

srtaggie said:
I have the mopar pcm. Doesn't this computer not care if cats are present?

As far as the fine, I didn't know the truck didn't have cats on it...i just bought it;) ;) . The shop that I go to is cool with that stuff.

What difference would putting cats on it make? All they do is connect to the OBD port. They don't do a sniffer test in georgia unless its a 96 or older.

Are you running O2 Simulators, or not? :confused:

A high flow cat will allow you to run regular O2 sensors. But, that won't help, because the PCM (most likely) has the O2 sensor code turned off (so it doesn't turn on your check engine light). But, when they read the OBDII, it still shows a fault.

srtaggie said:

As far as the fine, I didn't know the truck didn't have cats on it...i just bought it;) ;) . .....

If the EPA rep. happens to be there the day you are there next time, he(she) won't care if Santa Claus took the cats off.... you will still get the fine, and ticket.

Black1 said:
Are you running O2 Simulators, or not? :confused:

A high flow cat will allow you to run regular O2 sensors. But, that won't help, because the PCM (most likely) has the O2 sensor code turned off (so it doesn't turn on your check engine light). But, when they read the OBDII, it still shows a fault.

I'm not sure if i've got sims or not. All of the stuff on my truck was put on by the previous owner.

Would I pass with the sims? I'm pretty sure that the mopar headers reuse the o2 sensors.

In California the number is about 2.04/meter read-out.
Our Trucks with everything in place will pull a 1.96/meter read-out.

..........................PUT THE CATS BACK-ON!!

Quick

QuickSilver said:
In California the number is about 2.04/meter read-out.
Our Trucks with everything in place will pull a 1.96/meter read-out.

..........................PUT THE CATS BACK-ON!!

Quick

They DO NOT do a sniffer test in georgia. The number that your talking about is not a concideration. All they do here is plug into the OBD and run a test of the pcm.

I do have the o2 sensors.

srtaggie said:

I do have the o2 sensors.

Hmmm..... I think O2 sims might help... (as they will send a "dummy" correct signal to the PCM.) But, I'm not sure. :confused: :dontknow:

Stay tuned, I'm sure someone will chime-in soon and spread some light on this. :)

Black1 said:
Hmmm..... I think O2 sims might help... (as they will send a "dummy" correct signal to the PCM.) But, I'm not sure. :confused: :dontknow:

Stay tuned, I'm sure someone will chime-in soon and spread some light on this. :)

Lets hope! I've got about a week to get this handled. I've got to get my registration by then and need my emissions approval in order to get that.

srtaggie said:
Lets hope! I've got about a week to get this handled. I've got to get my registration by then and need my emissions approval in order to get that.

If I were you..... I would post on the buy/sell section for some stock mid-pipes. ;) :eek:

Black1 said:
If I were you..... I would post on the buy/sell section for some stock mid-pipes. ;) :eek:

If only it were so easy...i'd need a set of stock manifolds as well and probably a full day to swap all that crap around.

I'm not going to do all that.

The MOPAR performance PMC is clearly labeled "for off road use only" (unless previous owner torn the label off...). Good luck!

devildog said:
The MOPAR performance PMC is clearly labeled "for off road use only" (unless previous owner torn the label off...). Good luck!

Man, you south georgia boys have got it made! My folks live in Americus. i think I may just regiester it there so that I can still keep all of my fun stuff.

I really dont' want to though cuz its such a pita. I just spoke with mopar direct and he says that my chances aren't good with the pcm.

I thought the Mopar PCM ignores the rear O2 sensors, that way the CEL is not turned on. If you have failed that may be the reason. Otherwise I suggest obtaining a stock PCM, those are about 300 bux :dontknow:

You need to swap the pcm with a factory pcm and then put 02 sims on that and you'll pass. Ive been here before, just make sure they dont look under that truck otherwise if they have someone there with 1/2 a brain for automotive info youll be in trouble.

GotRidOfTheHemiForThis said:
You need to swap the pcm with a factory pcm and then put 02 sims on that and you'll pass. Ive been here before, just make sure they dont look under that truck otherwise if they have someone there with 1/2 a brain for automotive info youll be in trouble.

Thats about what I've been able to deduce from my research right now. I've also got a guy here at work that knows a guy.;)

Do a need sims for all 4 sensors? or just the upstream?

Support Us

Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Back