AMS Oil vs Mobil 1 Oil

VIPRSRT10

Reaction score
I was informed by a Dodge mechanic today that AMS oil is supposed to be better than Mobil 1 oil. I was wondering what the rest of you run in your trucks.

Mobil 1 isnt fully synthetic as it states on the label but i still use it....:) Found this.

Just a friendly reminder: M1 is NO longer a TRUE - FULLY synthetic.

That doesn't make M1 inferior, just not the superior anymore. All, thanks to Castrol!

Correct, Mobil 1 used to be made primarily with a group IV base stock which is mandatory for any product to be called synthetic in any country except the US. In the US Group III base stock which is made from purified Pertoleum is all that is required to be called a Sythetic, which is what most Castrol Syntec oil is made from (German Made Syntec is the exception as it is made from GIV stock).

Group III base stocks are very good oils. Castrol GTX from 20 years ago used to be made with Group III base stock and it was the best performing "regular" oil available, but that changed when Syntec was introduced (same product and GTX used to be but different bottle)

Some True Group IV Sythetic oils are Redline (GIV and GV), Royal Purple, Amsoil, German Syntec and others

Last edited:
Amsoil is a far better oil. But do not use it my truck. Only because Amsoil does not have a extended range recommendation for our motor. I am not dropping 100 +/- bucks every 3500 miles.

I do use it on my 2010 Ram and the wife's car.

I have mobil1 now because when I bought the truck the guy sold me his m1 stock for half price. But I'm going with amsoil fom now on in everything. That's the best stuff out there IMO

Mobile 1 for me, I've only put 4k miles on my truck in the last 2+ years so I don't change it very often.

Amsoil is a far better oil. But do not use it my truck. Only because Amsoil does not have a extended range recommendation for our motor. I am not dropping 100 +/- bucks every 3500 miles.

When I used amsoil I put in the European 5-40w and the oil felteris ea15k09 and you can go 10,000 miles or one year befor you have to change it I used to sell it. Who ever told they don't have a extended range is wrong I found it in the book I have, it tell me that f I use the amsoil along with there filter and I drive the truck every day I can get 10,000 miles if I drive it just on the weekends and drive less then 400 miles a month I can get 25,000 miles on it.

3500 miles ???

I change my oil every 2000 miles.

any oil is better than no oil :D i have surplus of m1 so i wont be changing anytime soon.

Latest posts

Support Us

Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Back