Another Auto tranny thread

EODSRT-10

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ok fellas I know there has been more than a few of these discussion.....but I need some help.
Had the Whipple on for a month or so now and it is driving fine, but the tranny is starting to act up.
While in drive it seems to slip going into 3rd especially under hard excelleration. Manually shifting from 1-2 it hits hard as usuall but going into D it doesnt grab and I gotta let off and let her come down in rpms and slid into gear.
Not having much experience with autos I am at a loss. It doesnt seem to have a burnt clutch because it doesn't slip while I am on the high way and roll on it?

The auto in these trucks cant handle the stock HP/TQ....now you have increased power by 40%+.....you need to conact Stinker and beef up the trans....to every action there is a reaction.....

Add Lucas Stop Slip................

That is no joke either....... I built a TH400 back in college. after a month it went from shifting good to slipping BAD in 1st. I added a bottle of Lucas Transmission Stop Slip and it stopped slipping and started scratching second......... I put 25,000 hard miles on that ole truck and never did I have another problem.

I might be doing it to my truck as it is guaranteed not to void warranties.

Last edited:
Governor solenoids may be going. When you add power it makes the stutter and hesitation much more noticable. Get them checked asap and have the bands adjusted or you'll be calling Stinker for a new Transmission, ask me how I know. I have a set of solenoids that were only in my old trans for about 25 miles, I'll let them go CHEAP...pm me if interested, you'll need a set sooner or later.

bigike said:
Gov solenoid wont make it slip in 3rd. Me don't thinks.
If he has to get off the gas, then back on to make it shift, that's the governor.
When he gets off the gas he releases the pressure on the screens and they clear a little, just enough that when he stabs it, the trans shifts.

labontecsi said:
If he has to get off the gas, then back on to make it shift, that's the governor.
When he gets off the gas he releases the pressure on the screens and they clear a little, just enough that when he stabs it, the trans shifts.
very good information:rock: somebody knows his stuff:D

but on the tranny, all you can do at this moment is to change the solenoid, and adjsut the bands, most bands from the factory are adjusted wrong.

we are talking with the tranny builders now on adjusting for hp, and they are working with us, but as of now the ones we offer are a replacement only.

but I did send you a link to patc, going with one of there trannies might save you some time and money down the long road

The only Gov problems I've experienced is the 1-2-1-2-1-2 light throttle problem. The only 2-3 problem I've had has been due to bad transmission's.

Good Info FO-SO

IMG_0699.JPG

#REC. This kit was specifically designed to handle higher base pressure in high performance applications and to improve the reliability of the governor solenoid in normal use. In performance units the pressure can flood the Dodge solenoid and cause a no shift condition at full throttle. This is the fix. Fits all rear wheel drive RE model transmissions. Added 9-25-2008. Cost $149.00

as per patc

Last edited:
isn't there a GM govener that fixes the problem???

Not sure if this will help but perhaps worth mentioning. I own a 4.7L V8 Jeep GC Overland that has a few mods. I've been at the Jeep forum and been linked to the Dakota forum as well and found that many guys in those vehicles cut the torque management wire. The torque management wire is there to back off the rpms while the shift takes place and results in a long drawn out shift, see, fugly. Anyhow, I was skeptical but after nearly 10 years since these guys have been doing it no one has had any problems, not CELs and the shifts are vastly improved. I noticed a crisper, cleaner and more "joltier" shift straight away, made more difference than a shift kit by a long shot. I have it on switch in the interior but some just cut the wire and off they go lol.

Useless 2c worth.......

Carlwalski said:
Not sure if this will help but perhaps worth mentioning. I own a 4.7L V8 Jeep GC Overland that has a few mods. I've been at the Jeep forum and been linked to the Dakota forum as well and found that many guys in those vehicles cut the torque management wire. The torque management wire is there to back off the rpms while the shift takes place and results in a long drawn out shift, see, fugly. Anyhow, I was skeptical but after nearly 10 years since these guys have been doing it no one has had any problems, not CELs and the shifts are vastly improved. I noticed a crisper, cleaner and more "joltier" shift straight away, made more difference than a shift kit by a long shot. I have it on switch in the interior but some just cut the wire and off they go lol.

Useless 2c worth.......

Carl, the SCT and flashed computers usually disable torque management on QC's. Disabling TM actually speeds up the process of killing these trannies, TM is there to protect the bands in the automoatic. Remember, this is not what this trans was designed to do.

OH, OK, I never knew that but thanks for filling me in! Surely our trannies are stronge than the Jeeps? I have not heard one problem with anyones Jeep after hundreds have done it and after coming up to 10 years of people clipping the TM wire. I guess more torque/power will do that to our trans. Guess the only way to move forward is to build stronger?

These things get built for massive hp and torque............. it can be done$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$

Jay --is it my computer or is the pic of the govenor not there.

Latest posts

Support Us

Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Back