Another Cold Air Intake Option

099 FEVER

Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'm not one of the guys that reaches for my wallet and adds another bolt-on to say I'm the fastest idiot on the block. Read some of the replies to my last post and you'll see where I'm coming from. "and he still has a stock air intake" was one reply. It happens I like the look of the stock intake and it's a solid design. If you give a close look the stock intake was never developed for just the flat panel filter. When I looked at the after market kits they were all basically the same, showing off the big filter element for the wow. I don't like seeing a dusty, dirty filter as the first thing when you pop the hood. I've posted some pics of my "STOCK" air intake. Specs: Cold air volume available- more than double. Filter surface- more than double the flat panel. Cost- less than a hundred bucks including the filter. Engine mods: Still keeping to myself!

Attachments

• DSCN0604.JPG
    DSCN0604.JPG
    970.6 KB · Views: 540
  • DSCN0606.JPG
    DSCN0606.JPG
    884.7 KB · Views: 596
  • DSCN0611.JPG
    DSCN0611.JPG
    862.1 KB · Views: 747
  • DSCN0612.JPG
    DSCN0612.JPG
    893.7 KB · Views: 448
  • MY TRUCK 1.jpg
    MY TRUCK 1.jpg
    223.7 KB · Views: 394
Very nice work looks like it would function quite well....
099 FEVER said:
I'm not one of the guys that reaches for my wallet and adds another bolt-on to say I'm the fastest idiot on the block. Read some of the replies to my last post and you'll see where I'm coming from. "and he still has a stock air intake" was one reply. It happens I like the look of the stock intake and it's a solid design. If you give a close look the stock intake was never developed for just the flat panel filter. When I looked at the after market kits they were all basically the same, showing off the big filter element for the wow. I don't like seeing a dusty, dirty filter as the first thing when you pop the hood. I've posted some pics of my "STOCK" air intake. Specs: Cold air volume available- more than double. Filter surface- more than double the flat panel. Cost- less than a hundred bucks including the filter. Engine mods: Still keeping to myself!

thats cool! it does look very functional, and its VERY nicely finished.

I like that one even better than the bulbous one sitting under the hood bare to the bone.:burnout:

:rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl:

I love the last picture... FORD: Test Drive Here.

As far as the CAI, would love to see a dyno test with it. The CAI's on these trucks just as far as we've all seen aren't big HP gainers and some lose in fact. So i guess it all comes down to what a person wants in their "own" truck!! :)

And i love my big sucky sucky :D :D :D It makes this crazy whine :rock:

LOOKS TIGHT! JUST WONDERING WHAT THE HP GAINS/LOSSES WOULD BE AFTER BEING DYNO'D

Thanks for the positive comments. Since it's so easy to plug the second air intake and put the flat panel filter back. I plan on getting some numbers on the dyno. I've also added a K&N pre-filter and hope it will help. Welding? wish I was good at it, it's a Spectre 90 Deg 4" elbow.

Attachments

• DSCN0604.JPG
    DSCN0604.JPG
    970.6 KB · Views: 147
  • DSCN0611.JPG
    DSCN0611.JPG
    862.1 KB · Views: 149
  • DSCN0606.JPG
    DSCN0606.JPG
    884.7 KB · Views: 82
  • DSCN0612.JPG
    DSCN0612.JPG
    893.7 KB · Views: 113
Really need a CAI for this SC setup.. waiting for Justin! or Ken... why dont we use the Airconditioner to blow cold air in...

How did you attach the intake hose (the one that goes from the air box to the throttle body) to the top of that air box?

Bill.

Begood said:
How did you attach the intake hose (the one that goes from the air box to the throttle body) to the top of that air box?

Bill.
I think the stock cover goes back on....

SRT-IZ said:
I think the stock cover goes back on....
:congrats: :congrats: :congrats: :congrats: :congrats: :congrats: :rock: :rock: :rock:

Begood said:

Bill.
Look at the text and read the pictures Bill - ;) ;) :D

thats a lot of nitrous solonoids you have in that first pic.

It uses the stock cover and appears stock when you look into the engine compartment. The only givaway is the second intake tube to the grill. I built this setup. Not much to it. The stock air box was designed to use a conical filter by the factory. The only thing I can think is there was little gain with the stock air intake path and the cost over a flat filter got nixed by the bean counters. It only requires a flat plastic sheet with 6 1/2" hole x .09 thick in place of where the flat panel filter was. I added a deflector on top of the flat sheet to move air better, but thats optional. It doesn't even need fasteners. The second air tube is two 90 degree 4" tubes, one aly and the other silicone and an air sensor flanged adapter all from Spectre. I used a K&N RF-1044 filter from Summit. You could build this in an afternoon. If you order parts make sure there 4" dia and they will fit perfect. It was a fun project. now to find another one. Thanks for the comments.

099 FEVER said:
It uses the stock cover and appears stock when you look into the engine compartment. The only givaway is the second intake tube to the grill. I built this setup. Not much to it. The stock air box was designed to use a conical filter by the factory. The only thing I can think is there was little gain with the stock air intake path and the cost over a flat filter got nixed by the bean counters. It only requires a flat plastic sheet with 6 1/2" hole x .09 thick in place of where the flat panel filter was. I added a deflector on top of the flat sheet to move air better, but thats optional. It doesn't even need fasteners. The second air tube is two 90 degree 4" tubes, one aly and the other silicone and an air sensor flanged adapter all from Spectre. I used a K&N RF-1044 filter from Summit. You could build this in an afternoon. If you order parts make sure there 4" dia and they will fit perfect. It was a fun project. now to find another one. Thanks for the comments.
I like it, it is very clean and well thought out - good job :rock:

Latest posts

Support Us

Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Back