Another rim question

ViperPete

Full Access Member
Reaction score
SO my wheels were curbed when I bought the truck and in some areas the finish is coming off.

I don't want to buy brand new wheels ($$$$$) I don't want to powder coat them (I think).

I pretty much want the same shiny silver/chrome finish that I have now.

What do you guys recommend? I suppose I could have them painted any color I want but how well do wheels hold up to painting? I want the finish to last a good long time.

Thanks

I had one fixed a few years ago and couldn't tell you which one it is anymore it matches the rest perfectly. Dropped it off to Dallas wheel repair

I had one fixed a few years ago and couldn't tell you which one it is anymore it matches the rest perfectly. Dropped it off to Dallas wheel repair

Dallas TX? That's a little far. Hmm, I guess i'll have to dismount the tires and ship them somewhere anyway.

What did the repair cost? Got pics?

I had this done o my rims and it looks grat. Very very close to chrome but without the issues chrome has. They even have it in the black chrome look. Shipping can be high so call them first and see if they can arrange pickup under their freight account to save you a few $$$ on shipping. PermaStar Chrome - Home Page

Permastar charges $200 a wheel to repair and do the coating. That was a few years ago though. The shipping is what could get expensive:(

Permastar charges $200 a wheel to repair and do the coating. That was a few years ago though. The shipping is what could get expensive:(

Does it look like the factory finish though? Looks like chrome to me. Factory finish isn't chrome you know?

Does it look like the factory finish though? Looks like chrome to me. Factory finish isn't chrome you know?

The finish will be ''brighter'' for sure. I guess it just depends on what your after. You could just have the wheels repaired somewhere and have them coated in a silver or re-polished. If I was guessing that would cost you just as much or more than the permastar coating:dontknow:

I think the Dallas wheel repair is part of s national company that does it, us wheel repair maybe? Try Google

You can buy new wheels for that much, not OE but.............

Just paint them yourself. I did my car wheels a few years ago and they still look good. Sand fix up the curbagw as best you can, give them a good scuff. Prime them with self etching primer. Use whatever color wheel paint you want, then clear them with a wheel specific clear coat. You dont even have to dismount the tires if you mask them good enough like I did. Cheepest option. Looks fine and only takes a weekend to do.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

If Dallas is to far, Phoenix will be to. We have a company here that will repair wheels. They will take two at a time & the cost depends on how damaged the wheel is. Need to get a couple of mine in there, but being a daily driver makes it tuff.

I have been looking in to this for a while now and prob the best deal I have found is Discount Tire. They will take the wheels off at their local shop and send them off to have them chromed for you saving you any shipping costs. The price I got was right at 1500.00 for all four wheels and a five year warranty.

Maybe this helps, but if chrome isn't what you want they may have different options...worth checking in to tho!

Latest posts

Support Us

Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Back