Another victim of the economy

OCBob

VIPER POWERED
Reaction score
In a somewhat startling announcement this morning, Harley-Davidson says recent financial results have led to a decision to focus on the Harley-Davidson brand, discontinue Buell Motorcycles (effective at the end of this month) and sell MV Agusta.

Just a few years ago, Harley-Davidson was riding high on a wave of huge sales and profits generated primarily by the popularity of its iconic brand of cruiser motorcycles. Buell, at the same time, was introducing state-of-the-art liquid cooled engine technology, and preparing to compete in AMA racing (winning a championship just recently).

Below is a press release from Buell that ends with a link to an emotional video statement from Eric Buell, himself, as well as a link to a larger Harley-Davidson press release.

EAST TROY, Wis. (Oct. 15, 2009) – Buell Motorcycle Company officials thanked the company’s customers, employees and dealers for an unforgettable ride, following today’s announcement by Harley-Davidson, Inc. that it will discontinue the Buell® product line as part of Harley-Davidson’s go-forward business strategy. The new long-term strategy aims to drive Company growth through a focus of efforts and resources on the Harley-Davidson® brand.

“I want to personally thank all our past and present Buell employees, dealers and suppliers for their efforts. I also want to thank Buell motorcycle owners for their support and passion for the brand,†said Buell Motorcycle Company President Jon Flickinger.

Flickinger said a limited number of new Buell motorcycles remain available for sale through authorized dealerships and production will wind down by October 30. He also stressed that Harley-Davidson will provide replacement parts and service through dealerships and that warranty coverage will continue as normal for Buell motorcycles.

“I will always be proud of what we have accomplished. It is a testimony to what a small group of passionate and inspired people can do, and with brilliant innovations, we’ve produced some of the best-handling bikes of all time,†said Buell Chairman and Chief Technical Officer Erik Buell. “I personally look forward to exploring how I can continue to work with Harley-Davidson to bring advanced product technology to riders.

“I have also had the great fortune to meet and get to know many Buell riders over the years, and they are an amazing and interesting group of free thinkers,†Buell said. “May you ride with pride into the future. And may your roads ahead be as adventuresome and rewarding as mine have been for the last 26 years.â€

For more information and to view a video message from Erik Buell, go to www.buell.com.

To read the Harley-Davidson, Inc. 3rd quarter earnings announcement, including information related to Buell, go to www.harley-davidson.com.

Dr. Feelgood needs to take them over......... They'd be back on their feet in no time..............

D

Very sad news. If times were better I would have bought an MV, but the way things are, that will never happen.

Bill.

i didn't think buell ever sold very well:dontknow: i looked at one when i bought my sportster and the buell just felt cheap compared to the HD(as far as the switches and little things like that)

Probably be government Harley Davidson soon.

I hate to say it but HD was basicly same as GM sold high priced crap. Except UAW screwed GM over.

WizzySRT10 said:
I hate to say it but HD was basicly same as GM sold high priced crap. Except UAW screwed GM over.
Can't say as I agree with that. My 05 has 110k on it and my 86 probably has somewhere around 300k on it. Neither one has ever seen a trailer. And I know plenty of guys that are still running their bikes that date from the 60's, 50's and even 40's. Same can't be said for too many cars.

OCBob said:
Can't say as I agree with that. My 05 has 110k on it and my 86 probably has somewhere around 300k on it. Neither one has ever seen a trailer. And I know plenty of guys that are still running their bikes that date from the 60's, 50's and even 40's. Same can't be said for too many cars.

Yeah but here's the other side of the coin look at the newer models their motors are junk. They went from the Rev motor that was a great engine to something that needs way more matience. why? for $$$$

WizzySRT10 said:
Yeah but here's the other side of the coin look at the newer models their motors are junk. They went from the Rev motor that was a great engine to something that needs way more matience. why? for $$$$
I'm not sure what you are talking about. The Twin Cam motor is the best they have ever made IMO. And I've owned every motor since the flatheads.

OCBob said:
I'm not sure what you are talking about. The Twin Cam motor is the best they have ever made IMO. And I've owned every motor since the flatheads.

One of the later motors I'd have to ask a friend that is a harley nut.

Another problem I had with HD's was most of the Dealerships I walked in the salesmen treated everyone like dirt.

Bummer. The econo "experts" say it's all getting better, to which I say "BS". I've been actively searching for a job for 6 months. The Dell plant that opened 2 yrs ago is closing and laying off 950 people. Every engineering job I have applied for (where I know someone that works there) has had over 200 applicants. :argh:

Although I have never been a fan of HD, but I hate to see them shut down the Buell lineup. OTOH, at least they are trying to be fiscally responsible ILO asking for a hand-out from Uncle Sam. :congrats:

All motorcycles are luxury items. (Except in Bob's case...) Every luxury category is suffering at this point. The economy is recovering...but very slowly. The stock market is raging but that is a very small part of the economy.

Job losses are slowing, but that is a long way from job growth...employment is a following indicator and will be a problem for another year or two. We don't have to get zero job losses to be recovered, we need to be adding about 150,000 jobs a month to have a 2 or 3 percent growth rate.

Times are still very difficult, but there is some small encouragement from the fact that we are not in free fall anymore.

Hang tough friends...the rough ride is not over, but there are better times coming.

WizzySRT10 said:
One of the later motors I'd have to ask a friend that is a harley nut.

Another problem I had with HD's was most of the Dealerships I walked in the salesmen treated everyone like dirt.

I've noticed the same thing with Harley Sales Staff. I was riding with a group of Harley guys last summer and for some reason, they always stop at the local Harley Dealership. I went in and got treated like I was at the DMV. Anyhow, the only bike I liked in the entire store cost 28k and was air cooled-WTF???? My bike cost 12k is water cooled and has more HP than their 28k ride.
I hate to say but, if they don't be more competitive in the industry, they will be closing doors everywhere. You can only sell brand name to a certain market and that market is becoming smaller.
Most Harley guys I know are becoming more interested in Yamaha. Yamaha sells similar air cooled bikes with similar features for about 1/3 price.

kennygene said:
I've noticed the same thing with Harley Sales Staff. I was riding with a group of Harley guys last summer and for some reason, they always stop at the local Harley Dealership. I went in and got treated like I was at the DMV. Anyhow, the only bike I liked in the entire store cost 28k and was air cooled-WTF???? My bike cost 12k is water cooled and has more HP than their 28k ride.
I hate to say but, if they don't be more competitive in the industry, they will be closing doors everywhere. You can only sell brand name to a certain market and that market is becoming smaller.
Most Harley guys I know are becoming more interested in Yamaha. Yamaha sells similar air cooled bikes with similar features for about 1/3 price.
The stealerships trip the RUBs pretty good, but it's a different story for "real" bikers. It's been that way as long as I can remember.

Keep in mind that trade in value is great on these things. I have a friend that trades every 2 years (usually with 40-50k on the odo) and it typically costs him between a grand and 1500 bucks if he stays with the same model. Try that on a Yamaha.

28k? What were you looking at? Must have been a CVO bike with one of those hideous 5 grand paint jobs and all that chrome. I hate chrome, for 28k I could have a brand new glide with a big motor. Oh, and have plenty of change left over.

I bought a Harley brand new in 1979, and while I did like the looks of it I just did not like the power to weight ratio. So I ended up selling it to my brother after about 8 months. To this day he still rides Harleys, while I ride lightweight crotch rockets. To each their own.

Bill.

OCBob said:
The stealerships trip the RUBs pretty good, but it's a different story for "real" bikers. It's been that way as long as I can remember.

Keep in mind that trade in value is great on these things. I have a friend that trades every 2 years (usually with 40-50k on the odo) and it typically costs him between a grand and 1500 bucks if he stays with the same model. Try that on a Yamaha.

28k? What were you looking at? Must have been a CVO bike with one of those hideous 5 grand paint jobs and all that chrome. I hate chrome, for 28k I could have a brand new glide with a big motor. Oh, and have plenty of change left over.
explain to me what a "real biker" is. IMO HD is under powered and over priced compared to compeditors

raceram9 said:
explain to me what a "real biker" is. IMO HD is under powered and over priced compared to compeditors
If you have to ask you wouldn't understand I guess. But I will say we were the ones that kept the company alive before it became a cool fad to own one.

Latest posts

Support Us

Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Back