any formula grand prix fans?

71dusterjon

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I was watching practice last night and heard that redbull claims that with 18 men they can do a 4 tire pitstop in only 1.8 seconds. thats crazy fast especially since they dont have to refuel.

It is pretty impressive to watch them work.

I'm glad they did away with refueling this year. They had to many fires.

i was till Michael "Da Man" Schumacher retired:( :( :(

1.8 seconds is really fast.

I've watched DTM for a while and they do it in 2.5 secondes...
And there where faster then formula 1 i guess.

Silverback said:
He qualified 7th. Not bad considering he has been gone for 3 years.

wow:rock: :rock: :rock:

might be a silly question, but.......

who's he drivin for???

what the hell are 18 going to do around a car? 4 with air guns 4 tire carriers 1 to lift the front of the car 1 to lift the rear what do the other 8 doing? 1 or 2 to make adjustments to the car 12 at most I would like to see this 1.8 sec. pit stop oh the other six to "service" the driver ? 1 to do the hand job 1 to hold the "catch can" 1 to clean the drivers "driver" 2 to do any "spill control and one to supervise the entire "pit stop":dontknow: :D :D

ZCx said:
wow:rock: :rock: :rock:

might be a silly question, but.......

who's he drivin for???

Mercedes Benz GP Ltd according to the F1 website:rock:

my boss and i were just watching some dtm races and they seemed actually quicker than f1 with fuel and tires.

Schumacher and rubens are the only two drivers that have been in f1 so long they used to race back in early 90's when they had no fuel stops.

did some research 18 guys were on a pit stop breaks down like this
1 "lollipop" man shows the driver where to stop and shows him when the end of the stop is near
4 new tire carriers
4 gun man to unbolt the old tire and bolt the new on
4 old tire carriers grab the old tire and pullit off the spindle
3 jack men ; 1 front, 1 rear and 1 side jack-man to stabilize the car and also if the crew needed to change a nose piece
and two gas men one with the gas hose and the other to stand by with an extinguisher encase of fire
not to mention back up crew members here is a video on youtube I found IMO a good view
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tzfRBVJrzzA :rock: :rock: :rock: :rock: :rock:

71dusterjon said:
i think in the next few years bruno senna will be a guy to watch out for.
pullin for McLaren and Hamilton hope to see the shu win 1 or 2 as well they need to bring back the American grand prix I would like to see one in person

71dusterjon said:
since there is no fuel being added they are some how using those two guys for something and they aren't mascots.
back ups for the back ups? find out in the morning during the race

yep ill be watching the race too. i'm glad to see lotus and some other new teams in the grid this year. very diverse group now. supposedly the same people that built the duabi circuit are building a circuit around denver, co about 8 miles long based off of the nurburgring to bring f1 back and not have them just at indy.

The teams are a well tuned machine. Every detail is addressed. I was chief Technical Inspector for the Formula 1 U.S. Grand Prix in Phoenix in 89, 90 and 91. I had 17 techs under me and it was an amazing experience. When entering the pits during qualifying and practice using 11 Techs we had 10 seconds to roll the car onto four scale pads, weight the car, measure tire diameter, check that the tire set belonged to the driver, measure ground clearance, wing height and width roll car off scale pads and release the car. I would have to stand in front of the car and signal the driver to go and they would have the tires spinning before I was completely out of the way. There were no speed limits in the pits and the cars came to the scales really fast. They would accelerate through the gears on pit lane to get to their pit. F1 had a printed schedule booklet each day called the "Minite by Minite" that you could set your watch to. We also had two large books of specifications that were approved by F1 on each car that was submitted to F1 before the season. These were used for inspecting the cars and approving the cars and backups as thet were presented for competition. I would have to sign off each car and place a signed sticker inside the cockpit. One year Phoenix was the first race of the season. We had to test each drivers ability to get out of the car from a belted in, all lines attached, hands on wheel, ready to drive position and then exit and place both feet firmly on the ground. They had to do this in less than five seconds or their license was not approved. Only one driver had to try a second time. That was Eddie Cheever the only American driver. At the start of the race I was the last one to leave the start/finish line in front of the cars before they rolled for the recon lap. It was quite a rush to be in front of all the cars reving their engines. One lap around they would come to a stop in a marked box and my crew was spread out along the pit wall to watch each car for a jump start. In all it was one of the highlights of my career as a race official. The 1.8 second pits stops are not a surprize with the technology available. The attention to detail and the craftsman ship is unbelievable. We would have to have alot more U.S. participation, drivers and teams for a second race to be sucessfull. Most F1 races are set up as TV races rather than spectator races. All cameras and advertizing is set up for TV and spectator location is secondary. "Bernie" has always controlled this.

Latest posts

Support Us

Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Back