ANY PLUG READERS OUT THERE?

It would probably be a good time to pull the stock pistons and go with some forged ones before you put a window in the block:(.

LitemUp said:
It would probably be a good time to pull the stock pistons and go with some forged ones before you put a window in the block:(.
That looks like the plan ....and then some:D

stick said:
another FS engine is about to bite the dust. did you forge everything before you put on the supercharger?

NO but it was on my "to do" list for the winter. I think I will move it up a notch on the list though:D

FATJACK said:
How is your oil pressure and is it making any noise down low?

Last I looked seemed ok. I will do a comp test and rule out some stuff before I send it in to the O.R.:D

nycstev said:
Last I looked seemed ok. I will do a comp test and rule out some stuff before I send it in to the O.R.:D

Do a leak down test.........

That gives you the information you need to diagnose it properly.

It takes more time but is a much better way to go.

I can drill a 1/16 hole in the top of a piston and it will still show good on a compresion test.

With a leak down test you know what you are really dealing with.

FSTJACK said:
Do a leak down test.........

That gives you the information you need to diagnose it properly.

It takes more time but is a much better way to go.

I can drill a 1/16 hole in the top of a piston and it will still show good on a compresion test.

With a leak down test you know what you are really dealing with.

Can I borrow yours Jack?:D ;)

FATJACK said:
How is your oil pressure and is it making any noise down low?
Actually it is making a whing grinding sound but its hard to tell . It sounds like the tranny but it could be the blower I dont really know. I dont have much experience in sound diagnosis. Tator said a spun RB would make alot of noise.. BUT remember these two cylynders where dead so they are passive for the time being. Once I put new plugs in it should change the sound character:D

nycstev said:
Actually it is making a whing grinding sound but its hard to tell . It sounds like the tranny but it could be the blower I dont really know. I dont have much experience in sound diagnosis. Tator said a spun RB would make alot of noise.. BUT remember these two cylynders where dead so they are passive for the time being. Once I put new plugs in it should change the sound character:D
thats what my roe sounded like when the bearings went out open the hood and you can tell for sure if its coming from the s/c. from the side it sounds like the tranny. had just replaced the plugs and wires week before last

I can't see the pic at work by mine looked like the gap just closed. No impact marks. I had a leakdown test done with everything in limits. Piston held together for a year and then let go on the dyno. Your stock pistons are living on borrowed time now.

Edit: Here is the thread on mine with pics. http://www.vtcoa.com/forums/showthread.php?t=8156

god dam steve that sucks huge cock if i can be any help and you need me to come out i will you have my word on that if you need any tools i bring them out to you you have my number im only 30 mins away

FlyingLow said:
I can't see the pic at work by mine looked like the gap just closed. No impact marks. I had a leakdown test done with everything in limits. Piston held together for a year and then let go on the dyno. Your stock pistons are living on borrowed time now.

Edit: Here is the thread on mine with pics. http://www.vtcoa.com/forums/showthread.php?t=8156
Thanks Bro. Your thread looks very familiar!!!:(

Only other possibility is something fell off from the blower? Already checked the throttle body screws;)

Holy Crap Steve!

Just saw this, hope it dosent turn out bad.

Snap On and some other tool manufacturers make a borroscope with a lighted camera. I would purchase or borrow one and look down the spark plug hole to see if there is any signs of impact on the pistons. Good luck.

the odds of pistion contact is slim and none looks like it got a little warm, i would replace the plugs with a colder heat range. also check air fuel ratio. somtimes youll get a hole melted threw your piston lets hope its not yours.

Last edited:
More than likely all are correct Steve, the plug shows rich, result, carbon buildup, and most likly a little crbon hit the plug?
but black viper maks a great point, get a scope or find someone that does, look inside, you will find out more that way.

It is possible that a small part of the piston came apart, but I dont think its likley

It's impact Steve.

Time to pull it down and go forged...bet you have considerable blow-by...when you do the leak down those two cylinders will be very low compared to the others, or they may all be low...bet also that you will find cracked lands...

Sorry.

Today we installed all new plugs @ .035. Changed oil. Oil showed no signs of metal. Oil pressure was normal50-70psi. Did comp test range 160-200
(cylinder wuth bent plug was 185:confused: ) Truck seems to run smooth with no misfire but also ( could be imagining theis ) seems down on power. Also the whining noise from the blower is still there. Something to note, the #3 cylinder which was one of the ones with the bent electrode had its gap reduced to .o2o from .035 after installing new plugs this morning and only 20 miles of driving:confused:

nycstev said:
Something to note, the #3 cylinder which was one of the ones with the bent electrode had its gap reduced to .o2o from .035 after installing new plugs this morning and only 20 miles of driving:confused:

Your pistons are about to let go. Be carefull.

Latest posts

Support Us

Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Back