ANY PLUG READERS OUT THERE?

nycstev

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I found the cause of the misfire which is pretty obvious:D but the real question is what caused this?

DSC00285.jpg

The rest of the plugs look ,like this:

DSC00286.jpg

My guess is those failed plugs sortof got soft from heat?

What do you all think?

BTW this all started after some very hard driving:D ;)

FATJACK said:
It's hard to do but we oughta keep these stock internals below 5500 RPM

?? Then how come these plugs dont show any signs of contact? The one with the tip bent sideways would have a cracked electrode? huh?

Looks like Nick was right. Call him at 732-222-3679. I'm sure that he would be happy to speak with you about it. Thanks again for taking the time to put the Orchard Beach gtg together.

Very strange...........

I have seen this a few times before, where the plug gap is closed.

If it is not piston contact, it can be that it was caused by small pieces of carbon that are broken loose from hard driving.

This is very uncomon and I have never seen it on 2 plugs at the same time but anything can and usually does happen.

FSTJACK said:
Very strange...........

I have seen this a few times before, where the plug gap is closed.

If it is not piston contact, it can be that it was caused by small pieces of carbon that are broken loose from hard driving.

This is very uncomon and I have never seen it on 2 plugs at the same time but anything can and usually does happen.
Figures... thats how my whole life has been. Very uncommon occurences
with very esoteric explanations:(

If someone handed me these photos and said "What Do You Think?" I would say- "Well, either they were dropped then installed or they came from an engine with a couple of spun rod bearings" or stacked carbon deposits, as already suggested. In any case, I would say mechanical damage was the culprit.

I suppose it may be possible for a plug electrode to get so freakin' hot that it moved, but because the electrode is just a nickel alloy, it would likely look like metal that was heated with a torch (rainbow colors) and yours doesn't....does it? And I would think if it was nearly molten, the gap would be more likely to open. Not to mention the engine has more serious issues to deal with if your plug is getting that hot.

My 2 cents...

Ron

Last edited:
amtrucker22 said:
Didn't Flyinlow have that happen to him?

Yes it did and it also happened to flchub before their motors said "good night Gracie". Likely you spun a bearing and the piston slapped the plug gap shut.

LitemUp said:
Yes it did and it also happened to flchub before their motors said "good night Gracie". Likely you spun a bearing and the piston slapped the plug gap shut.
This is the best explanation so far as to IF AND WHY THE PISTON CLOSED THE GAP:D

rottenronnie said:
If someone handed me these photos and said "What Do You Think?" I would say- "Well, either they were dropped then installed or they came from an engine with a couple of spun rod bearings" or stacked carbon deposits, as already suggested. In any case, I would say mechanical damage was the culprit.

I suppose it may be possible for a plug electrode to get so freakin' hot that it moved, but because the electrode is just a nickel alloy, it would likely look like metal that was heated with a touch (rainbow colors) and yours doesn't. And I would think if it was nearly molten, the gap would be more likely to open. Not to mention the engine has more serious issues to deal with if your plug is getting that hot.

My 2 cents...

Ron

SAME THING. ROD BEARING.

Spoke to the " DOCTOR" today and he said very strange too... on two cylinders. Also mentioned the pistons growing prior to failure:mad:

another FS engine is about to bite the dust. did you forge everything before you put on the supercharger?

Latest posts

Support Us

Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Back