anyone build a 440?

blown04

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm in the process of planning a Duster drag car on the cheap. Car now has a slant six...

I've got a big block 727 tranny and a am looking for a 440 that needs a rebuild. Was thinking of building a 440 stroker in 500 or 512ci range with alum 75cc heads.

Was thinking of a single 750 cfm Demon and single plane intake but i know there are guys here that know a lot more than I. With good heads I expect you could hit 800+ hp.

When I built my the blower motor for my truck we put 4 bolt billet mains.....do you do the same on a 440? Looking around these kits don't call for it...

http://www.440source.com/strokerkits.htm

Would appreciate y'all steering me right...

Last edited:
Yea, Im in the same boat as you. I'm building a 520Stroker based off a late 70's 440. I'm using the same builder that built my 550+HP 392HEMI. We are looking for 750~800HP with this 520ci. The Engine will go in a 78' Powerwagon and used in sand-drags. (well, maybe I'll play with some cars too:) )

With these engines, its all in the heads (so I'm told).

you can convert to 4 bolt mains, cross bolted like the modern HEMI, but it requires a really good machine shop.

I've read if you use ALUM main caps + a Girdle you can push 800+ safely on a factory block.

I picked up a really good book "Max Performance MOPAR Big-Blocks". The book is full of useful information. I highly recommended picking it up.

Luckily for me, my engine builder is a MOPAR guy, and has built quite a few Big-Block MOPARS. To be honest, I just give him money, and my goal. I like to read up on the stuff though.

Make sure to post pictures of your build. maybe I'll post a few later.

Thanks man - looks like we are close in our goals. Have heard and experienced that it's all in the heads especially with mopars. What kind of heads are you going with?

I though the truck blocks were already 4 bolt mains?

From what I've read no factory 440 came with 4 bolt mains... But your asking someone who is not that "UP" on the 440 or Big Blocks.

we have not chosen heads yet, I'll pick a set next week. I think Indy or Edelbrock Victor. Both have 2.200 or 2.250 intake and 1.81 Exhaust. ether way, my builder will massage them a bit :) .

have you selected your heads yet?

440 Source has A LOT of great stuff.

Back in the 70's the non pro's at the strip shied away from the 440 for that very reason.....none had 4 bolt mains and the general opinion was that was a weak point. The serious builders remachined with 4 bolt mains and rebuilt the heads to get them to breathe, roller rockers and big hole forged push rods to get them to oil and then ran Weiand channel rams with 2 Holley double pumpers on the ones that weren't blown. Screamin machines. Sounds like you guys are right on....get em to breathe and oil, and beef the lower end.
Just some old shit, stuck in my brain from a bygone era.Not really worth anything, just fun to remember. Love to see your rides when you are done! Best wishes on your builds :D :D :D

Last edited:
am looking for a 440 that needs a rebuild.

where you located? i have two 440 motors, a 68 and a 69 both hp motors.

i got alot of old mopar bigg blocks 383 440 block heads cranks complete engines for sale and old mopars cars

Yepper - still doing my research. all 440 are 2 bolt. but can be machined for 4 bolt mains (and they don't have the viper tax our truck motors have) is what i'm reading. Haven't decided on heads. Thinking of the Performer or Victor. In hindsight - a 750 ain't gonna cut it...with those heads and a roller setup you can use all of a 1000cfm carb...

hell, go different & build the slant 6

:rock: :rock: :burnout: :burnout: :rock: :rock:

blown04 said:
Yepper - still doing my research. all 440 are 2 bolt. but can be machined for 4 bolt mains (and they don't have the viper tax our truck motors have) is what i'm reading. Haven't decided on heads. Thinking of the Performer or Victor. In hindsight - a 750 ain't gonna cut it...with those heads and a roller setup you can use all of a 1000cfm carb...

oH, Yea, I thought that 750 was going to be too small too. I'm going with a Dominator 1000cfm.

Have used a bunch of Dominators in the past, single four and dual fours. If you buy a used one always take it apart and check the jets. In the good old days we jetted them square and fat. Like 96's front and rear. Start from there.

helped build a handful.

the one trick that seemed to help the bottom ends was full groved bearins.

with todays stuff, i would bet a good set of billet main caps with ARP studs & a griddle should help alot

:rock: :burnout: :rock: :burnout: :rock: :burnout:

kinda wondering if a 383 stroker might make more sense on an A body as it should be almost 200lbs lighter.....thoughts anyone?

blown04 said:
kinda wondering if a 383 stroker might make more sense on an A body as it should be almost 200lbs lighter.....thoughts anyone?

Mopar has a 440 A-Block create engine:rock:

still vote for the slant 6 build:rock: :burnout: :congrats: :D

blown04 said:
Why would a 383 be lighter? They are very similar blocks. A 360 would probably be 200 lbs lighter.

i'm being told - you save about 75-90 pounds over the stock 440 block with a 383, the rest i think they are assuming alum intake and heads and headers...

ZCx said:
Mopar has a 440 A-Block create engine:rock:

still vote for the slant 6 build:rock: :burnout: :congrats: :D

There was a yellow dart at a mopar show I go to almost every year with a built slant 6 4bbl, header, nitrous... Runs 10s

I've been reading the 440 has more power potential, and is cheaper per $ to HP.

Although a 383 is a unique CI, and has a history.

I debated doing a stroked HI-RPM 360ci. (stroked to 408 or 440ci) But I figured if I was going to spend money, might as well go "balls to the wall". And I've always wanted a Mountain motor, ground pounder.

Back