anyone build a 440?

blown04 said:
I'm in the process of planning a Duster drag car on the cheap. Car now has a slant six...

I've got a big block 727 tranny and a am looking for a 440 that needs a rebuild. Was thinking of building a 440 stroker in 500 or 512ci range with alum 75cc heads.

Was thinking of a single 750 cfm Demon and single plane intake but i know there are guys here that know a lot more than I. With good heads I expect you could hit 800+ hp.

When I built my the blower motor for my truck we put 4 bolt billet mains.....do you do the same on a 440? Looking around these kits don't call for it...

http://www.440source.com/strokerkits.htm

Would appreciate y'all steering me right...

Yes, here are the details...

66 Coronet
+0.040" 1974 block; i.o.w. not a stroker...
727 with 4600 stall, tranny brake
4.56s 30" tire
Heads: Indy-1 (Hand-Ported)
Cam- Comp Solid Roller (WELL thought-out custom grind)
Dominator
Compression: 13:1
Caltracs, Disc Brake
Weight: 3840 with driver
Times: 10.62 @ 127 through a full exhaust system
H-Beam Rods
Stock Crank
NOT for Sale...

Generally blocks are good to 700 horsepower (close to that now) providing there is no bad core shift.

Ronnie

Last edited:
rottenronnie said:
Yes, here are the details...

66 Coronet
+0.040" 1974 block; i.o.w. not a stroker...
727 with 4600 stall, tranny brake
4.56s 30" tire
Heads: Indy-1 (Hand-Ported)
Cam- Comp Solid Roller (WELL thought-out custom grind)
Dominator
Compression: 13:1
Caltracs, Disc Brake
Weight: 3840 with driver
Times: 10.62 @ 127 through a full exhaust system
H-Beam Rods
Stock Crank
NOT for Sale...

Generally blocks are good to 700 horsepower (close to that now) providing there is no bad core shift.

Ronnie

Had to put that in huh?:D :aetsch:

blown04 said:
ronnie - stock bottom end?

Stock crank
H-Beam Rods

The block is the weak link but if you keep it around 700 it will/should survive (even in a heavy vehicle).

Last edited:
So, where you at with this build? any pictures yet? :)

Sounds like a cool project. We'll be building a '73 'Cuda 440 soon, if the owner ever coughs up some money. lol :eek:

Here's the car....

3252_74425963916_529438916_1634307_8050973_n.jpg

Have you considered building a 400 with the 440 crank? Strokes it out to a 470 cubic incher. I believe you machine the main journals down to size and drop it in.

Most of the 440 cranks were a forged crank to begin with, a set of six pack rods should hold up to most abuse after some cleanup ( deburring ). After 72 you'll need to really inspect the internals as performance was basically dead and the majority of big blocks went in station wagons and vans.

Oh, and I have a stock 383 Magnum motor and it takes me ( 200 lbs ) and another large adult to keep it from tipping the motor crane when I'm moving it! I PROMISE that motor is over 800 lbs!

You can also check out Indy Cylinder Head. They do a ton of Mopar big block stuff.

Last edited:
From what I've read no factory 440 came with 4 bolt mains... But your asking someone who is not that "UP" on the 440 or Big Blocks.

we have not chosen heads yet, I'll pick a set next week. I think Indy or Edelbrock Victor. Both have 2.200 or 2.250 intake and 1.81 Exhaust. ether way, my builder will massage them a bit :) .

have you selected your heads yet?

440 Source has A LOT of great stuff.

I so envy you.
My first vehicle was a Top Hand 78 Dodge Power Wagon with a 440 Magnum w/ edelbrock intake and a edelbrock 4bbl. It had 33x12.5.15 tires and could spin them all day long. Dad got pissed about having to replace the tires twice in a year.

I loved that truck.

Latest posts

Support Us

Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Back