Anyone else running really rich from the factory?

thjones3

Full Access Member
Reaction score
According to my AEM wideband, the a/f ratio at WOT is below 10.0:1. That's as low as the gauge will read. I have JMB CAI, catless mids and magnaflow catback. Unfortunately, I didn't have the wideband before I put the exhaust/CAI on, but if anything it should have gotten leaner. :dontknow: Would a dirty MAP sensor cause the truck to run really rich?

I knew they were rich from the factory, but I was thinking mine was exceptionally bad. I guess my only real tuning option is a VEC3?

thjones3 said:
I knew they were rich from the factory, but I was thinking mine was exceptionally bad. I guess my only real tuning option is a VEC3?

Nope, SCT tune or Stage II flash can also lean it out!!

I have a DC stage two tune and I still get some black soot on my tailpipes. I see this as a good thing as I dont want to be too lean. How much timing is taken out with their tune? Anybody know?

patrick

mauiSRT/10 said:
I have a DC stage two tune and I still get some black soot on my tailpipes. I see this as a good thing as I dont want to be too lean. How much timing is taken out with their tune? Anybody know?

patrick

Patrick,

If I am not misstaken the amount of fuel given to the engine during deceleration has alot to do with the sooty tail pipes. Under hard acceleration things are probably OK. Does yours still pop heavily when decelerating?

After I had my SCT tune installed I noticied a significant decrease in the popping and gurgling on decel. I am begining to wonder if this may be causing my idle issue? Sometimes when I come to a complete stop the idle will do it's usual little stepper dance but stay at 1200 rpms, with just a little tap of the accelerator it goes right back to 750 where it is set.

It only does this when I am rolling, It will not stick when the truck is just sitting and I rev it??

I personally absolutely love the popping / gurgling sound on deceleration. I actually will tap the gas sometimes to extend that sound. Its so tough sounding. :rock: if it means a little more black soot on the tail pipes, ill take it. I like cleaning them anyway.

I gear down all the way to a stop...but to save the brake pads...that exotic, sexy, popping and throaty gurgling have absolutely no bearing on my way of driving...;)

Prof said:
I gear down all the way to a stop...but to save the brake pads...that exotic, sexy, popping and throaty gurgling have absolutely no bearing on my way of driving...;)

Glad you agree Roy.... Thought I would be doing something wrong by doing that. If you say its okay, I will continue...:burnout:

Marc T said:
Patrick,

If I am not misstaken the amount of fuel given to the engine during deceleration has alot to do with the sooty tail pipes. Under hard acceleration things are probably OK. Does yours still pop heavily when decelerating?

??

Oh yeah I still have the pops and gurgles.............and love the sound!!! :rock:

Roy you mention you downshift to save on the brakes..............doesnt that wear the clutch out? And when you downshift whats the proper technique when letting the clutch out, fast or slow?

patrick

My clutches have much more to worry about than my down shifts!

I ease the clutch out just to engine brake and make noise...it also lowers the gas mileage...and that's kewl too!

Some times I double clutch in the process just so I can tap the throttle between gears and get a little extra rumble and help the gears mesh.

Its all about fun...there is very little that is serious about my truck any more...except horsepower:rock: :rock: :D

Support Us

Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Back