Anyone Have a XDM?

viperhauler said:
well i was gonna ask on the gun thread about my latest quandry...but after reading this info about the xd...i think i just made up my mind...

i was gonna ask an opinion on the kimber 1911 with the .22 barrel, since i'm shooting more, and getting ammo for that reason, almost seems like a waste, since here it's hit or miss...so i was thinking about getting rid of my sig mosquito, and maybe my .357 on the headboard for a kimber .45...then getting the .22 retrofit kit....reason being i could get more comfortable shooting the same gun (hypothetically), and switch out for plinking....

any thoughts on that????

or should i just keep what little eclectic arsenal i have and add an xd to it???

i guess i'm concerned that with so many guns, obviously, each one shoots differently....so i'm wondering if the kimber deal would benefit "staying on target" so to speek...

I work with a guy that has a Kimber 1911 with the .22 kit on it and it's fun to play with easy to change over to the .45 when needed. I sold a H&K USP Tacitical to a local state trooper that is going through a divorce for $950. I'm deciding to go all .40 S&W since my back up gun is a .40 S&W for ammo interchange. Everything I've read about the XDM I love it, checked out my buddies tonight and gonna order mine tomorrow.

viperhauler said:
well i was gonna ask on the gun thread about my latest quandry...but after reading this info about the xd...i think i just made up my mind...

i was gonna ask an opinion on the kimber 1911 with the .22 barrel, since i'm shooting more, and getting ammo for that reason, almost seems like a waste, since here it's hit or miss...so i was thinking about getting rid of my sig mosquito, and maybe my .357 on the headboard for a kimber .45...then getting the .22 retrofit kit....reason being i could get more comfortable shooting the same gun (hypothetically), and switch out for plinking....

any thoughts on that????

or should i just keep what little eclectic arsenal i have and add an xd to it???

i guess i'm concerned that with so many guns, obviously, each one shoots differently....so i'm wondering if the kimber deal would benefit "staying on target" so to speek...

There is a "break-in" period for ANY 1911 pistol.... They are like a Supercar.... They are finicky. You have to find out what ammo your particular 1911 likes, shoot a LOT of said ammo, then mod it to your liking (springs, mags, grips, SPRINGS ;) , etc). After about a year of shooting my Kimber (1800+ rounds), I've finally got the right combo it needs to shoot WELL. ..... It's just the nature of the beast. :eek: They are ALL that way, from what I understand. :dontknow: Everything from a Ed Brown, Wilson Combat, or a STI, $3000 custom, to a Springfield/Taurus/Colt/S&W/ KIMBER "stock" off-the-shelf 1911. Just by design, they each have their own flavor. It's fun going down the path to making the PERFECT pistol (when a 1911 runs RIGHT, it IS the perfect pistol).... but, it takes time.

....... Would I buy a brand NEW gun (any gun) and slap it in my carry holster and BET MY LIFE ON IT? .... Nope. :eek: But, 1911's are more finicky than others. Would I bet my life on my Kimber SIS 1911 right NOW??? .... Yep. It's what I have sitting next to me at this very moment. Even though the XDm is a more "accurate" gun and holds more rounds, I KNOW this wonderful little 1911 like the back of my hand.... it's like a old friend.... and I keep it with me EVERYWHERE. :) The Springfield stays in the safe. :dontknow: :eek:

Jake I agree 1911's are finicky but when you need them they're your best friend. I think I'm gonna order the XDM today now :D I can't wait till the gun store opens.

WizzySRT10 said:
Jake I agree 1911's are finicky but when you need them they're your best friend. I think I'm gonna order the XDM today now :D I can't wait till the gun store opens.

It's a great choice, Wizz.... You will NOT be disappointed. :) Just the extra "stuff" it comes with is worth it. :rock: They give you a FITTED CASE, holster, magazine loader (16 rounds in those mags can be HELL on yer finger-tips :eek: ), double mag belt holster, 2 mags, cleaning brush, and lock.... It's a awesome value. :) :rock:

.......... Just like other pistols, you will have better accuracy with different cartridges than others. The gun will feed spit-wads if you want (anything will fire, and it WILL NOT JAMB.... I've tried. ;) )...... But, your particular gun will be more accurate with brands of ammo that it "likes". Mine happens to like Magtech and Remington. :dontknow: You will just have to try a bunch and see what you need. :)

(PS- I saw you called earlier.... sorry I missed ya. :eek: But, the wifey is asleep now... So, I'll try you in the PM tomorrow.... I have a meeting at 8AM tomorrow that should last thru lunch. :eek: )

Yeah I'll break it in with some cheaper ammo and then start getting it dialed in. I'm thinking Federal Hydra Shock or some other ammo simular.

WizzySRT10 said:
Yeah I'll break it in with some cheaper ammo and then start getting it dialed in. I'm thinking Federal Hydra Shock or some other ammo simular.

Fed HS isn't cheap, Bro! :eek: :eek: That's what I use in my XDm for "real duty", and it shoots great with them.... but, I use ball ammo at the range. :eek:

Same with the Kimber..... Damn thing HATES "expensive" ammo. :dontknow: :eek: It'll jamb on Fiocci or Black Hills every single time. :argh: ...... Love's Remington Ranger, American Eagle, or Magtech tho. :dontknow: :confused: And it's personal favorite is Hornady TAP "red box" (Tactical Application Police) 230gr .45+P JHP (HERE). :D Which is what is in it now...... Figures :rolleyes: , because civilians aren't "suppose to" be able to buy it..... But, I've got a guy. :p :rock: :marchmellow:

Black1 said:
Fed HS isn't cheap, Bro! :eek: :eek: That's what I use in my XDm for "real duty", and it shoots great with them.... but, I use ball ammo at the range. :eek:

Same with the Kimber..... Damn thing HATES "expensive" ammo. :dontknow: :eek: It'll jamb on Fiocci or Black Hills every single time. :argh: ...... Love's Remington Ranger, American Eagle, or Magtech tho. :dontknow: :confused: And it's personal favorite is Hornady TAP "red box" (Tactical Application Police) 230gr .45+P JHP. :D Which is what is in it now...... Figures, because civilians aren't "suppose to" be able to buy it..... But, I've got a guy. :p :rock: :marchmellow:

I've been to Black Hill's shop a few times they're only about 2 and half hours from me. Hornady TAP is NICE I've shot a few hand guns with it in use. Actually you can buy it and they can't do anything about it cheaperthendirt.com has it in their catalog so does http://www.natchezss.com/ for prices. At the Actual Store Cabelas for some ammo isn't bad. I won't shoot wolf through my XDM nor any other hand gun for that matter.

WizzySRT10 said:
I've been to Black Hill's shop a few times they're only about 2 and half hours from me. Hornady TAP is NICE I've shot a few hand guns with it in use. Actually you can buy it and they can't do anything about it cheaperthendirt.com has it in their catalog so does http://www.natchezss.com/ for prices. At the Actual Store Cabelas for some ammo isn't bad. I won't shoot wolf through my XDM nor any other hand gun for that matter.

Yeah... Don't buy Wolf.... It's crap. I don't like Blazer either. I think all the aluminum cased cartridges are junk. :eek: :dontknow:

Black1 said:
Yeah... Don't buy Wolf.... It's crap. I don't like Blazer either. I think all the aluminum cased cartridges are junk. :eek: :dontknow:

Some of CCI isn't bad. I rather brass over Alum.

Well I ordered my XDM. $710 total they are raising prices on the dealers now. They have a XDM 9mm in stock for $705 and I had to look it over also. I know I probally paid a lil more then you Jake but since I live in BFE getting the guns, ammo and etc. I can't wait till I get it I bought 100 rounds of cheap full metal jacket ammo to get it broke in.

I have the XD40 500 rounds through it and still out shoot my buddy at 30 meters with his colt 1911 1500 paper weight:D the only time he can come close to my grouping is when we move in to 25 feet then the 45 is scary. But you wont regret it, plus SA has awsome customer service and good turn around times. Have not have a prblem with my xd but my M1A and scope have been there 1 or 2 times. You wont be disappointed.

Everything I've read about the XDM people love it or are completely biased and didn't want to like it. I'm happy with my purchase I just can't wait till it gets here. I paid around $700 and he threw in 2 50 round boxes of ammo and I also bought 2 more boxes of the same stuff.

I'm looking at personal protection rounds currently and I think I found a replacement of hydrashock. I've done some research on this ammo for a while (my dad asked me if I knew anything about it and I said I'd look into it). Well from what i can see the hype of this ammo I found is true. I've found videos of it from people that bought it to test, testimonials and etc. http://www.extremeshockusa.com/ Check it out and keep a clear head. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nPgcVhENbos

This ammo would be awesome if you lived in a condo or apartment, have kids in the next room or etc.

WizzySRT10 said:
Well I ordered my XDM. $710 total they are raising prices on the dealers now. They have a XDM 9mm in stock for $705 and I had to look it over also. I know I probally paid a lil more then you Jake but since I live in BFE getting the guns, ammo and etc. I can't wait till I get it I bought 100 rounds of cheap full metal jacket ammo to get it broke in.

Nah, I paid about the same.... Plus, when they "Ban" gets reinstated with a 10 round capacity, the XD's will be worth a LOT more money. ;)

Black1 said:
Nah, I paid about the same.... Plus, when they "Ban" gets reinstated with a 10 round capacity, the XD's will be worth a LOT more money. ;)

I hope they don't get the ban working. Besides the ban Obama wants is ALL semi Automatics will be banned.

DevilDawg3097 said:
I have the XD40 500 rounds through it and still out shoot my buddy at 30 meters with his colt 1911 1500 paper weight:D the only time he can come close to my grouping is when we move in to 25 feet then the 45 is scary. But you wont regret it, plus SA has awsome customer service and good turn around times. Have not have a prblem with my xd but my M1A and scope have been there 1 or 2 times. You wont be disappointed.

My buddy has a Les Baer 1911 that pretty much shoots the target dead center all day long, by itself. All you have to do is pull the trigger. However, I think he paid close $2k for it.

I have been looking at an XD .45. I might pick one up sometime this summer. I really like the XD's I have looked at, but haven't had a chance to shoot one yet.

I just picked up at Colt 1991 Government Model Stainless. It actually shoots quite nice. I would compare it's accuracy to the HK USP 9mm that it replaced. Still in the break-in though.

-Muzzy

ha002-2.jpg

:rock:

Black1 said:
You will LOVE yours, Wizzy! :rock: :)

..... Did you get the all black or the two-tone? :confused: :)

All black I'm not a huge fan of two tone weapons. I'm also planning on getting a surfire light and night sights for mine :D

Latest posts

Support Us

Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Back