anyone running a flash with their Paxton

Just got home from running some baseline 0-60 and 1/4 mile runs with current setup. For testing purposes of the flash is it required that I install the thermostat? I'd like to do a few runs with the flash just to see if there is any difference...then install the thermostat when I have a little more time/patience to do so. Am I gonna hurt anything by running the flash without the 170 thermostat for say 5-8 0-60 and 1/4 mile runs?

T-stat is not needed. You won't hurt anything without it. Install the flash by itself and go do some runs.

Smoke

Sounds good to me. Will present my results tomorrow. I was able to use the g-tech for the 0-60 and 1/4. Did some non-hard-on-the-driveline launches and got 1/4 mile times similar to those at bandimere. Density altitude today around 6700 feet. Speeds 95-100 mph on a slight uphill slant. Hope to see well over 100 tomorrow.

First impressions, will do a few more 1/4 runs in a few hours

Despite not installing the 170 thermostat the truck runs around 170...not closer to 200. Outside temps are alot cooler today but I dont think that has anything to do with it.

1st gear launches...I can feel the torque and increased pull. Doing these somewhat leasurely lauches wants to try and break the rear tires. Nothing close to that yesterday with stock computer

Hit the rev limiter in 3rd gear toward the end of the 1/4, gonna have to shift into 4th. Previously I could reach the 1/4 in 3rd gear around 5500-5600 rpm with no thought of having to shift into 4th.

Thats about it for now. Will document my 0-60 and 1/4 times a bit later with the g-tech. I'll have to check...maybe I already have a 170 thermostat in the truck from its rebuild.

Dave T(BADVENM) said:
First impressions, will do a few more 1/4 runs in a few hours

Despite not installing the 170 thermostat the truck runs around 170...not closer to 200. Outside temps are alot cooler today but I dont think that has anything to do with it.

1st gear launches...I can feel the torque and increased pull. Doing these somewhat leasurely lauches wants to try and break the rear tires. Nothing close to that yesterday with stock computer

Hit the rev limiter in 3rd gear toward the end of the 1/4, gonna have to shift into 4th. Previously I could reach the 1/4 in 3rd gear around 5500-5600 rpm with no thought of having to shift into 4th.

Thats about it for now. Will document my 0-60 and 1/4 times a bit later with the g-tech. I'll have to check...maybe I already have a 170 thermostat in the truck from its rebuild.

what is your rev limiter set to....?.....6100...?

Good question, didnt look. I was coming to the end of the road (literally) where I have to hit the brakes. Its about the only place around where I can somewhat safely run 1/4. I did play with some 0-60 times and managed a 5.88 per g-tech. I could probably get it a bit lower if I really tried.

Dave T(BADVENM) said:
Good question, didnt look. I was coming to the end of the road (literally) where I have to hit the brakes. Its about the only place around where I can somewhat safely run 1/4. I did play with some 0-60 times and managed a 5.88 per g-tech. I could probably get it a bit lower if I really tried.

what is your altitude...?.....temp....?....give me that and your speed at the end of the 1/4.....will get you a hp number

Dave T(BADVENM) said:
3800 feet altitude, temp around 74, [email protected], density alt around 5400 feet. I'm gonna head out and do a few more runs. I'll give you the g-tech numbers when I get back.

ok so that would be a 13.37 at 106.74 at sea level....

106.74 means you are making only 450 rwhp at sea level and well under 400 rwhp at your current elevation...this is based on your truck weighing 5400lbs with you in it....

Due to some "witnesses" in the area of my dragstrip I could only make 2 runs. temperature around 75 degrees, dens alt 5300 feet. full air (38 or so psi) in all 4 tires.

1st run - hit rev limiter toward the end.
[email protected]

2nd run - shifted out of 3rd around 5600 rpm
[email protected] 0-60 6.08

remember, this "test" area has a slight uphill slant but since I ran this direction yesterday I want to be consistent. I'm also not really launching hard so I avoid undo damage or riding the clutch. I'm just trying the old vs new setup. I never hit 100 mph yesterday or anyday for that matter in the races I've participated in. I've also never hit the rev limiter at the end of the 1/4 so that has to show something for the potential of the flash.

Looks like if weather permits I'll need to take the truck to bandimere wednesday to get a bit more official times and impressions.

my mph is def up and times are down. I'm sure the cooler temperatures have something to do with it although its more humid

Dave T(BADVENM) said:
Due to some "witnesses" in the area of my dragstrip I could only make 2 runs. temperature around 75 degrees, dens alt 5300 feet. full air (38 or so psi) in all 4 tires.

1st run - hit rev limiter toward the end.
[email protected]

2nd run - shifted out of 3rd around 5600 rpm
[email protected] 0-60 6.08

remember, this "test" area has a slight uphill slant but since I ran this direction yesterday I want to be consistent. I'm also not really launching hard so I avoid undo damage or riding the clutch. I'm just trying the old vs new setup. I never hit 100 mph yesterday or anyday for that matter in the races I've participated in. I've also never hit the rev limiter at the end of the 1/4 so that has to show something for the potential of the flash.

Looks like if weather permits I'll need to take the truck to bandimere wednesday to get a bit more official times and impressions.

my mph is def up and times are down. I'm sure the cooler temperatures have something to do with it although its more humid

there you go....better....that 102 mph is 110 at sea level....

Thanks a bunch!! I may be able to get a bit higher mph but the end of my "track" is a cross-street so I have to hit the brakes a little hard toward the end. I guess I was figuring the mph would be higher...otherwise I can def notice the low end pull in first gear and the fact I hit the rev limiter in 3rd which means I'm pulling more speed/lower times requiring a shift...or I'm revving faster through the powerband from down low (wasnt before) all the way up. The fastest 0-60 I was getting yesterday was in the low 7s so about a full second is pretty good.

So in summary to date, in 3 runs today I averaged 14.46@101mph. Yesterday in 3 or so runs with the g-tech I was averaging [email protected]

Not sure how much the airmass difference has changed (75 today vs 93 for same time yesterday) the performance but the flash seems to have done the job. I hope to have the thermostat installed tuesday then to the track wednesday.

Does the 110 mph at sea level seem reasonable? I was expecting a bit higher mph and lower et.

I've got my co-workers playing with the g-tech as well. One guy in a fairly newer Ford Taurus ran a g-tech [email protected]. Another with a v6 older Capri averaged a [email protected]. He's gonna bring his '96 Mystic Cobra up and try it out a bit later.

Dave T(BADVENM) said:
Thanks a bunch!! I may be able to get a bit higher mph but the end of my "track" is a cross-street so I have to hit the brakes a little hard toward the end. I guess I was figuring the mph would be higher...otherwise I can def notice the low end pull in first gear and the fact I hit the rev limiter in 3rd which means I'm pulling more speed/lower times requiring a shift...or I'm revving faster through the powerband from down low (wasnt before) all the way up. The fastest 0-60 I was getting yesterday was in the low 7s so about a full second is pretty good.

So in summary to date, in 3 runs today I averaged 14.46@101mph. Yesterday in 3 or so runs with the g-tech I was averaging [email protected]

Not sure how much the airmass difference has changed (75 today vs 93 for same time yesterday) the performance but the flash seems to have done the job. I hope to have the thermostat installed tuesday then to the track wednesday.

Does the 110 mph at sea level seem reasonable? I was expecting a bit higher mph and lower et.

I've got my co-workers playing with the g-tech as well. One guy in a fairly newer Ford Taurus ran a g-tech [email protected]. Another with a v6 older Capri averaged a [email protected]. He's gonna bring his '96 Mystic Cobra up and try it out a bit later.

here is a little sheet for you.....based on a 5400lb truck with you in it

110mph = 488rwhp
112mph = 515
114mph = 544
116mph = 573
118mph = 603

I'm gonna guess those numbers are for sea level. If so, I wont be as dissapointed that my mph are a bit lower at these higher altitudes. Thanks for all the help, I'll try and get some better numbers wednesday. Density alt will be quite a bit higher.

Dave T(BADVENM) said:
I'm gonna guess those numbers are for sea level. If so, I wont be as dissapointed that my mph are a bit lower at these higher altitudes. Thanks for all the help, I'll try and get some better numbers wednesday. Density alt will be quite a bit higher.

yeah...sorry sea level....75 degrees.....etc...your E/T is high beacuse you don't have any track prep.....:D ...I bet your 60' is in the 2.3-2.4 range....that is a full second right there....if not 1.2

Is it gonna help any to "ice" the intercooler in between 1/4 races? Not sure if its applicable given air to air heat exchanger but I thought I'd ask now before I get to the track.

Dave T(BADVENM) said:
Is it gonna help any to "ice" the intercooler in between 1/4 races? Not sure if its applicable given air to air heat exchanger but I thought I'd ask now before I get to the track.

sure it will help.....

Had the thermostat installed yesterday. Truck temperature dropped about 10-20 degrees around 170 from before I had it installed where it was around 180-190. Doing the flash without the thermostat did drop operating temperatures well below 200. Going to the track this afternoon as long as the weather holds out...will post results tonight. I need to focus on shifting around 5500 rpm or so and keeping my foot planted to the ground.

Latest posts

Support Us

Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Back