Anyone used a flywheel dyno?

I would love to find one. Could you imagine the level of tuning that could be accomplished in a completely controlled environment?

It would be the ideal way to tune for sure, but lots of prep work involved I think. Our builder has a dyno and he told me people would bring in there fuel systems, wiring harnesses and ECU's to make them run. Seems to be alot of work to make it work. Ive been tossing the idea around for the last week or 2. The trouble around here is that I havent found a person with a wheel dyno that I trust to tune my engine.

engine dynos are great tunin tool. but a chassis dyno is best when everything is hooked up how the truck will be driven

Some of the SRT8 guys are starting to use engine dynos for tuning... I hear there's a good place in Cali... CMW Motorsports, I think is the name. I know there are others too... Edelbrock has one, and I would be surprised if DC or Underground didn't get one soon, or at least have access to one. Some of the trade schools have them as well.

Last edited:
rottenronnie said:
Come to Calgary....

Who in Calgary is there Ron? Anyone with VEC experience? It would be way easier to trailer it down and have it tuned rather than strip the truck for a engine dyno.

Black1 said:
Some of the SRT8 guys are starting to use engine dynos for tuning... I hear there's a good place in Cali... CMW Motorsports, I think is the name. I know there are others too... Edelbrock has one, and I would be surprised if DC or Underground didn't get one soon, or at least have access to one. Some of the trade schools have them as well.

Around here engine dynos are way more popular than wheel dynos. Every builder I have ever dealt with or talked to all have flywheel dynos. Thats the problem that there are so few wheel dynos and my experiences with the place we used was they had no idea what they were doing.

Last edited:
ZCx said:
engine dynos are great tunin tool. but a chassis dyno is best when everything is hooked up how the truck will be driven

I would prefer a engine dyno than wheel dyno myself. Easier to work on the engine, easier to fix problems or leaks, etc. Our builder told us that it is more accurate to tune on his dyno than a wheel dyno. When measuring A/F ratios they have a fuel flow meter and can tune to each cylinder easier (dont ask how cause I dont remember what he said). A similar process that they use on blown alcohol engines. When on a wheel dyno they are using only 2 O2 sensors and each sensor is measuring 5 different cylinders.

Chassis dyno's can have 10 O2 sensors as well. But with my never attempted build I would prefer an engine dyno as well. Reducing the number of variables to just the engine makes me feel a lot safer. Then I would use the chassis dyno as the final step in the tuning process.

Naturally, if I was just doing a Billet bottom end/cam swap I would go straight to the chassis dyno.

yellowfever#154 said:
I would prefer a engine dyno than wheel dyno myself. Easier to work on the engine, easier to fix problems or leaks, etc. Our builder told us that it is more accurate to tune on his dyno than a wheel dyno. When measuring A/F ratios they have a fuel flow meter and can tune to each cylinder easier (dont ask how cause I dont remember what he said). A similar process that they use on blown alcohol engines. When on a wheel dyno they are using only 2 O2 sensors and each sensor is measuring 5 different cylinders.

When they did our last year there was only one 02 sensor put in the tailpipe.(remember his fancy vise grips holding it:mad: )

pokeytemplar said:
Chassis dyno's can have 10 O2 sensors as well. But with my never attempted build I would prefer an engine dyno as well. Reducing the number of variables to just the engine makes me feel a lot safer. Then I would use the chassis dyno as the final step in the tuning process.

Naturally, if I was just doing a Billet bottom end/cam swap I would go straight to the chassis dyno.

Our builder doesnt have that many O2 sensors, yet. He did mention to us that he was considering updating to 8. But you are right, seems to be the best way to tune. The only bad thing is that you need provisions to screw the sensors into the manifolds. On a custom set of headers thats no problem, but on cast manifolds or already coated headers its not really possible with out a bunch of work. I think I will have Tony put a set of bungs in my turbo headers, just incase.

Latest posts

Support Us

Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Back