Auto install in 04RC

Reopen this thread

I am back with renewed interest in this conversion. My son reinstalled the six speed and has been driving around with that, he has renewed interest in the Auto conversion.
I had found him the 48re[supposedly from an 06 QC SRT10] and we got the engine/trans wiring harness with it. My son had the trans rebuilt by a reputable local builder he knows, where upon he attempted to have it installed.
Then the problems began to surface, flex plate did not fit the crank, 04 flywheel was used to trigger ignition/computer, 48re and 04 block have a difference at the right side dowel location.
The problems were significant with no easy resolution, thus the 6spd reinstall.
I had been thinking about possibly an alternative crank trigger mechanism. it would seem as many of these engines used in racing applications, there should be a front mounted crank sensor unit. Something with a crank pulley position sensor.
We can get a flexplate made to our needs, but addition of a crank trigger system significantly increases the cost factor. The dowel realignment is not insurmountable either with some precision work. We can use a stand alone computer for the trans control as stated elsewhere.
So it seems an alternative Crank trigger system is our primary hurdle to cross. Any ideas or experiences out there?

We have a vendor here who had done a successful auto conversion, JTS Venom Performance. He would be the go to guy on this one.

I am back with renewed interest in this conversion. My son reinstalled the six speed and has been driving around with that, he has renewed interest in the Auto conversion.
I had found him the 48re[supposedly from an 06 QC SRT10] and we got the engine/trans wiring harness with it. My son had the trans rebuilt by a reputable local builder he knows, where upon he attempted to have it installed.
Then the problems began to surface, flex plate did not fit the crank, 04 flywheel was used to trigger ignition/computer, 48re and 04 block have a difference at the right side dowel location.
The problems were significant with no easy resolution, thus the 6spd reinstall.
I had been thinking about possibly an alternative crank trigger mechanism. it would seem as many of these engines used in racing applications, there should be a front mounted crank sensor unit. Something with a crank pulley position sensor.
We can get a flexplate made to our needs, but addition of a crank trigger system significantly increases the cost factor. The dowel realignment is not insurmountable either with some precision work. We can use a stand alone computer for the trans control as stated elsewhere.
So it seems an alternative Crank trigger system is our primary hurdle to cross. Any ideas or experiences out there?

All you have to do is remove the dowel pin and bolt it up .
Pay attention and make super sure your straight .tighten that puppy up As for flex plate on an 04 Tony would be the man since he did it in his 04 too .
I would like to see a full manel shift valve body for that trans then mayyyyyybbbbbeeeee:dontknow:

I dont think any auto conversion has really been a great daily driver though ,,if there was someone please speak up .

BATRAM,,and paddle shifted too!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

TCI® GM Automatic Transmission To Dodge Viper V10 Adapter Kit allows you to bolt a General Motors style ransmission behind the Dodge Viper V10 engine with no need for special modifications. part TCI 149290

Thanks for the input so far, I'll start following up on these leads.

Interesting thread. I might have to go the girly man route as well on the new truck. Dreading it. But it might be inevitable.

TCI® GM Automatic Transmission To Dodge Viper V10 Adapter Kit allows you to bolt a General Motors style ransmission behind the Dodge Viper V10 engine with no need for special modifications. part TCI 149290

I dont think I have heard of ANYONE making that work in a srt-10 truck and have it a good dependable setup .

I dont think I have heard of ANYONE making that work in a srt-10 truck and have it a good dependable setup .

When I spoke with TCI they referred me to a third party that makes the adapter plate. Coan engineering was the name - just ask for any gm auto to viper conversion. I think the conversion kit was around 1500 and tranny was anywhere between 6500-8500 depending on the hp you wanted it to support. Definately big money and my research shows mixed results from the tranny. Most issues seem to be finding someone good to program it for your application. They promote a great warranty and the chatter online with people having issues is that TCI has been good about replacing damaged units.

Latest posts

Support Us

Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Back