Automatic gearbox problems

nathanfreke

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hi all,
I'm getting issues with the gearbox on my quad cab ... it started off feeling like it was slipping every now and then and now its progressively got worse to the point where it's not sure what gear its supposed to be in and when your very gentle on the throttle it seems to hover between gears before changing and if you floor it from stand still, when it's mean to change the motor just runs into the limiter for quite a while before it changes.

Is this a common problem? Are there basic checks I can do?

Im a qualified mechanic so doing my own work isn't a problem, I just haven't had experience with auto boxes before.

Any help is greatly appreciated!

My advice, after $4200 invested in mine, go get a complete overhaul. Clutches, bands, torque converter, valve body and new solenoids. Get heavy duty everything and don’t mess around with OME. Mine is still stock in the clutches and bands. I got a guy that will do the entire job complete with a billet shaft for $4200. Doesn’t piece meal fix it, go all the way the first time and save a lot of headache and downtime in the future. He even has a warrantee as some shops do not. My 2 cents worth from a “been there, done that.â€￾

if its doing the 1-2-1-2-3-2 hunt garbage more than likely its the governor in it. these trannies are known for issues with it mine started that and i went to an after market one through jtsvp and i haven't had the issue since.

I would try a tranny service and adjust the bands, GM solenoid upgrade while you have pan off. Would all depend on mileage and how bad fluid and how much clutch material is in filter. Rebuild is way pricey so I would try that first. Make sure whomever does the work, knows how to adjust the bands.

Get ahold of HTS Transmissions and talk to Dusty Hawk, great guy to deal with and he sells excellent HD parts at great prices, he won't try to over sell you parts you don't need.
htstransmissions.com/index.html

I have all his parts for 3 seasons now running supercharged power with over 8psi boost and it's holding up perfectly!

Last edited:
Got my valvebody from Dusty, only talked to his wife but they are very helpful.

Yes it's likely the governor pressure solenoid! It has screen filters that get clogged with clutch dust and clogs up, causing the "shuttle shift" as its called.
Adjust bands, new filter , new solenoids and transducer, and a shift kit wouldn't hurt. Valve body and billet internals with complete rebuild even won't guarantee that tranny though. They're notorious problem children :(

I would try a tranny service and adjust the bands, GM solenoid upgrade while you have pan off. Would all depend on mileage and how bad fluid and how much clutch material is in filter. Rebuild is way pricey so I would try that first. Make sure whomever does the work, knows how to adjust the bands.

Says the guy that destroyed 500 and eleven transmissions. Lol

Thanks for the helpful comments.

I'm in the uk so sourcing parts isn't the easiest.

Is there an exploded diagram of the box so I can familiarise myself with what to look for? Is it a box out job to adjust the bands and solenoid?

Can I tell if it has a quick shift? *apparently* the previous owner spend £4000 on the box getting it uprated to handle a supercharger but never got round to fitting the charger.

Also, where is the governor? Is it like a tps unit that has gone out of calibration?

The problem seems mainly when your either really light on the throttle or really heavy on it... In between its not bad apart from sometimes just a delayed change.

Thanks

Also, is it worth me dropping the oil and changing it? If so, what recommended to use and what quantity ?

Thanks

It could also be your cable that connects to your throttle body and tranny is out of adjustment.

Back