Automatic Race Transmissions

BlackViper

I would just call the vendors of your choice and talk to them and see what kind of feel you get from them. I happened to go with HTS and felt Dusty was a stand up guy who knows his shit and was not looking to give something I did not need.

I am extremely pleased with how my trans shifts now after going with his parts. I am running NA so I did not need as radical a change as others might want. He sent me the parts and I had them installed. He prefers to have your trans to build it up.

blackviper said:
Since this is next on my agenda, I'm looking for input and recommendations. I've heard of Suncoast, ATS, HTS, ATFSpeed and others. What works? What's tried and trued? I would like to find something that would hold up to 850 RWHP and 1000 Ft LBs of TQ and be very streetable. I'm not interested in neck snapping shifts all the time. A GM conversion would not be out of the question but I don't want to be the first one. Thanks.
If I was you I'd check out ATF Speed, like actually got to their shop and talk to them...they're no more than 20-30 minutes from you which also great when it comes to customer service....He'll build you something exactly what you are looking for...you will truly be impressed with their shop and how knowledgeable they are...they have done several of our trucks and dozens of diesels around the country
Trust me just go look at some of the things they are building over there and you will make a decision quickly

Thanks for the feedback guys. I was truly hoping someone new of a 48re holding up to 850+ RWHP and possibly a 1000 FT LBS of torque with decent shift characteristics.

I paid $2600 for the tranny build and $1100 for the converter, just over $4000, shipped to NY. The warrenty is 12 mounths, it would be more, but they are not doing the install so that is what they gave me:dontknow: They say it is good for a 1000HP, They said they will e-mail me a list of the parts installed, I will let you know when I get that. Good people to deal with.

blackviper said:
Thanks for the feedback guys. I was truly hoping someone new of a 48re holding up to 850+ RWHP and possibly a 1000 FT LBS of torque with decent shift characteristics.

Is there a differnce at this point for a 48re build between a diesel and a gasser? or they ecentially the same other then vlave body and stall speed.

Smokey said:
Is there a differnce at this point for a 48re build between a diesel and a gasser? or they ecentially the same other then vlave body and stall speed.
pretty much correcto senor!

blackviper said:

I bought all my tranny parts of Dusty-HTS Transmissions and he has built lots of trannies that guys are pushing well over the 850+ RWHP and are holding up very well! He was telling me about on guy pushing 1500 RWHP and over 300 passes on it!! He knows his stuff and builds them right! Excellent guy to talk and deal with if you talk with him you will probably be putting one of his trannies in,highly recommend:rock:

blackviper said:
Thanks. Still doing my research.

Good luck with your choice. Keep us posted with what you decide on. The trans is a weak link with the autos and good solid choices for upgrades is something we should keep up on. That way we know what the key parts are to replace for a given application. I.e. SC, NA, 1000HP+, etc. It already seems that much has been learned from people sharing their experiences with trans upgrades/replacements, both good and bad.

Smokey said:

The only difference I see in the diesel and gas 48re is that the diesel has a spring on the bottom of the 2nd gear accumulator whereas the gas model has a spring on top (makes is shift faster into 2nd), and the diesel has a 4.3 ratio second gear lever where the gas has a 5.0 ratio lever. The valve bodies are the same. The different shift rpm comes from the program in the ECU. Also, the diesel tranny has an electronic TV cable vs the gas having the manual cable. Let's see, what else...obviously the stall speed is lower on the diesel. Oh, and I believe that the diesel has 6 plates in the forward clutch whereas the gas model has 5. I don't think there are any other differences.

If you're in the the southeast, there's only one place to go, ATF. Jason is the only person I'd trust to build my transmissions (if I didn't build them myself). He's got Dexron/Mercon running through his veins.

Definitly interested in the HTS products, from reading all of Dusty's posts, he sound like he really knows his sh!t when it comes to these tranny's.

Did you guys get a certain package like the "Ultimate Street", or did he just suggest what you need?

I'm wondering how that ultimate street one will do.

What does Dusty suggest for a typical quadcab with headers, catless mids, exhaust, and SCT?

Did any of the you qc guys to the 4.2 lever swap?

I just read an article about T.C.I. Transmissions offering a 4L80 upgraded to a six speed,with a stand alone e.c.u.and paddle shift option.They state its good up to 850 H.P.,No torque specs.With an adapter plate,This sounds like a good upgrade for someone who running moderate H.P. mods.:D

Good thread. I raced jsandlin on wednesday after the Transformer Car show they had here....he has a RC vs my QC. The only difference in our mods is I have a tune. We did a 30 roll (which I hate doing) he got the jump for the delay of my auto/pc communication. I was pulling on him really good until I hit 4th and the tide turned as he walked away. We did another one and I left in tow haul, but I had to shut it down. I liked the fact that we were pretty much even, and if we did a standing 1/4 miles, he would be beat for sure, but that damn 4th gear is no good over 120 mph. Can I have DC reprogram the computer or do I just need to upgrade the tranny?

OH BTW 505, why are you getting rid of the G-Force? Those things are suppose to be bullit-proof.

Fahrenheit said:
but that damn 4th gear is no good over 120 mph. Can I have DC reprogram the computer or do I just need to upgrade the tranny?

Unless OD is slipping, you need a shorter gear out back.

No slip, just not as much push as the other gears. I know the 4.56's are not as good as the 4.11's on top end.....I will change the gears out when I have decided what to do as far as a power adder.

Fahrenheit said:
I know the 4.56's are not as good as the 4.11's on top end.....I will change the gears out when I have decided what to do as far as a power adder.

That depends on the torque curve in relation to vehicle drag.

4.56:1 ;

48RE 3rd gear 120MPH= 5800RPM
48RE 4th gear 120MPH= 3900RPM

4.11:1

48RE 3rd gear 120MPH= 5200RPM
48RE 4th gear 120MPH= 3500RPM

With the 4.56s you'll accelerate faster in 3rd, but you'll run out of RPM. As soon as you shift into OD (.68:1) you'll only have 68% of the torque available. 4.11s will let you stay in 3rd (1:1) until 132MPH.

Latest posts

Support Us

Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Back