Aux Inputs for CAN Radios

cgperry

Reaction score
Some people have asked about adding aux inputs to our radios before. This morning I installed Peripheral Electronics CHYX adapter in my truck, along with their PXP01V iPod adapter cable. The CHYX was $110 at Discount Car Stereo.com and the iPod cable was $52.

I had originally wanted their CHYP adapter (which gives iPod control and display on the head unit, along with another AUX input), but that unit uses the head unit's input for the satellite radio, so you have to give up the Sirius to use it. I didn't want to do that, so I got the CHYX instead. The CHYX emulates the rear DVD system (VES - Vehicle Entertainment System) and gives you two regular AUX (RCA jack) inputs. You select the VES with the head unit's MODE button (or steering wheel control) (mine is the REC navigation radio), and then you switch between the two aux inputs using the track up/down buttons on the head unit or steering wheel.

The install was very simple - the hardest part was figuring out how to take the dash of the truck apart without breaking anything. After that it's pretty much all plug and play. I connected the PXP01V to the first input and an RCA to 1/8" plug to the second input. The PXP01V is nice because it uses the bottom plug on the iPod, so you get a fixed line-level signal out and since the adapter has power inputs (and the CHYX has an accessory output), it will also charge the iPod when the truck is running. The 1/8" plug I can use with other people's MP3 players, portable DVD, etc.

The only modification I had to make was to drill a small (3/4") hole under one of the cigarette lighters to let the cables come through the dash so that I could have the cables where I wanted them (front of the floor console, 06 QC). The hole is completely covered by other trim in the truck, so once everything's reassembled there's no visible evidence of the modification, and if I ever sold the truck I could remove the adapters with no evidence.

Whole affair took about 2 hours start to finish, and the sound quality is definitely dramatically better than with the FM modulator I was using. If anyone wants more detailed info about doing this to an 06 QC, let me know.

I had wanted to try Mopar's iPod adapter since I was hoping it would give iPod control and display on the head unit without giving up the satellite radio, but they don't seem to be available for 06 radios yet and my dealer had no luck getting any info from Dodge. I'm using this kit in the meantime since it's totally removable if Mopar's ends up better.

Last edited:
You can use the Mopar adapter with the satellite radio. The adapter is setup to recieve the satellite input. The only trick is that you need to extent the satellite connector to reach the adapter. Mopar makes an extension.

What makes the Mopar ipod adpater so nice is the integration of the controls. It really is seamless.

This is a useful thread as well.

http://www.vtcoa.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1162

I saw your post on the adapters you bought for your Dodge OEM stereo. I have a new 06 QC with the Nav radio and 6 disc changer. I am not wanting to add Ipod at this time because I don't own one but I am wanting to add my aftermarket flip down DVD player out of my old truck. Question is do you know if the adapter you purchased will allow me to activate the aftermraket DVD player using the VES feature on my stock OEM radio? It would be nice to use the VES and not jack with an FM modulator. Thanks in advance!

Yes. The CHYX adapter just gives you two sets of regular RCA inputs. You can connect them to any device that has a normal line-level output, so DVD players will work fine.

When you connect the CHYX adapter, it gives you another 'tab' on the radio where you would normally have CD or SAT. The tab will say VES, and you can switch between the two RCA inputs using the track selection keys (|<< or >>|).

I connected one to the iPod adapter I mentioned and the other to a set of jacks mounted in my center console so I can connect anything I want, from other mp3 players to video games to camcorders if I wish.

Also, since I posted this I had the TVandNav2go.com video conversion done to my factory REC radio. This allowed me to add a backup camera and also video from a DVD player on my stock head unit. Conversion was around $450 and I am quite pleased with the work.

Does this apply to 04's with the 6disc changer???? i would like to finally incorporate my i-pod withh out using that fm signal

Support Us

Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Back