AWD conversion maybe???

BLWNSRT

Supporting Member
Reaction score
No traction + a long winter coming I was thinking of a project I could do. I read a post awhile back about an awd conversion but there was no real info on the subject except it would cost to much and too much fabrication.

Ive been doing some research, I have an 06 and we had an 06 1500 4x4 come in our shop so on my day off I began doing some measuring.

From what I have found out:

Both lower control arms from a 4x4 appear and measure that they will bolt right into the srt. I ordered an aftermarket heavy ass steel one just to hold right up to compare.

the steering racks are in the same spot.

sway bars will have to be swapped ours are longer and links in a different location.

fabricating a rounded notch in the oil pan is a must, and the mounts to hold the diff are part of the motor mounts.

Now for the hard part:

knuckles appear different but our hubs have splines for a cv axle (will it work?)

mounting a strut will require fabrication to the frame.

have heard 4.56 gears aren't available for the front diff.

transmission and transfer case not worried about right now.

So I thinking about trying to do an awd or 4x4 conversion that is mostly a bolt in kit with some fabrication.

No traction + a long winter coming I was thinking of a project I could do. I read a post awhile back about an awd conversion but there was no real info on the subject except it would cost to much and too much fabrication.

Ive been doing some research, I have an 06 and we had an 06 1500 4x4 come in our shop so on my day off I began doing some measuring.

From what I have found out:

Both lower control arms from a 4x4 appear and measure that they will bolt right into the srt. I ordered an aftermarket heavy ass steel one just to hold right up to compare.

the steering racks are in the same spot.

sway bars will have to be swapped ours are longer and links in a different location.

fabricating a rounded notch in the oil pan is a must, and the mounts to hold the diff are part of the motor mounts.

Now for the hard part:

knuckles appear different but our hubs have splines for a cv axle (will it work?) yes it will

mounting a strut will require fabrication to the frame.

have heard 4.56 gears aren't available for the front diff. Yes they are

transmission and transfer case not worried about right now.

So I thinking about trying to do an awd or 4x4 conversion that is mostly a bolt in kit with some fabrication.

I've got both but mine are 05s man.

If your going that far. Hang an Atlas 2 off the transmission then sraight axle the front with leaves and another Dana 60.

I think you'd be better off getting a srt-8 jeep or waiting until they put the hellcat motor in the jeep which they are doing.

Seems like a hell of a big challenge, but if this ever gets successfully done someone will have the fattest bragging rights ever. Not to mention with a twin turbo set up, possibly the fastest 10 to date. Seriously interested in this if someone is brave enough to take the leap.

Attachments

• IMG_20150807_094125297.jpg
    IMG_20150807_094125297.jpg
    625 KB · Views: 191
  • IMG_20150807_094151981.jpg
    IMG_20150807_094151981.jpg
    900 KB · Views: 219
I'd grab a Mango QC Daytona, swap the cladding and bumpers, lower it, and drop the motor, trans and axles into it. Or, grab a 2500 and enjoy the strength of an SFA.

i think the transfer case would be the biggest issue, unless there is a way to adapt a divorced T case on there? best of luck

Will the front end of the truck even have room for another Dana 60??? :dontknow:

Will the front end of the truck even have room for another Dana 60??? :dontknow:

It will be the ifs 8"/8.25" front diff found in all 02-08 ram 1500. Going to find a core front diff that I can cut the right axle stub off too see if it will fit before I go cutting into the oil pan.

Keep us update on your build. We like pictures. Hope your pockets are as deep as the snow in Canada.

Not on the 06+ uses a strut/coil spring

06 was the first year for the coil spring set up

It will be the ifs 8"/8.25" front diff found in all 02-08 ram 1500. Going to find a core front diff that I can cut the right axle stub off too see if it will fit before I go cutting into the oil pan.

I doubt that front diff will be able to handle the torque, Also there is a reason that the high performance AWD vehicles convert to RWD only. Get a fat sticky tire and save yourself a lot of effort.

Nice, I had toyed around with this idea before and never knew the 06+ had coils.

Well now you know and boy don't you feel smarter. :D

I agree that just tubbing it out would be way cheaper and would look cool, however I won't say it can't be done.

My old room mate is currently building an AWD 6 speed bronco powered by a procharged 6.0 LS motor. Some of the prices on having things built have been insane! I think he said his transfer case was $5k alone.

Same guy took a ford lightning and swapped it procharged 6.0LS and t56, and a twin turbo LS mustang. The lightning conversion was around 20k.

interesting thread, im looking into this a little further , with some of the high power awd systems out there it might be a fun add on, already have the dry sup oil system so oil pan no longer an issue...

Latest posts

Support Us

Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Back