B&M Shifter Question

ScottVa

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Does the B&M shifter position in the same place as the stock shifter or does its location change? Thank you, Scott

ScottVa said:
Does the B&M shifter position in the same place as the stock shifter or does its location change? Thank you, Scott
It installs basically in the same place...not exactly. I decided the extra noise was not worth it and went back to stock.

It's adjustable.

I just put one of these in over the weekend along with a new clutch. (I also seem to have screwed up my brakes, but that's another story.)

Anyways, at it's highest adjustment, the B&M is 1/4" shorter than the factory shifter, according to the installation instructions. But it's adjustable down about an inch and a half or two inches by changing which bolt holes you use.

It adds a little gear/transmission noise to the cab. The factory Hurst shifter has a rubber isolator which the B&M doesn't have.

You may want to buy a new lever from Cherry Performance a vendor on here. The stock B&M lever is aluminum and will break.

Diamond head said:
You may want to buy a new lever from Cherry Performance a vendor on here. The stock B&M lever is aluminum and will break.

Not if purchased recently. I bought one in December, and it says in multiple places "now with steel upper stick."

The noise can be cut back as well by placeing rubber/Neoprem waher between the handle and shifte base. It cuts it back. Not elimnates it... My .02 But well worth it.

Yes and the old BM shifter handles do brake. I broke two now. but still well worth it. LOL

My new B&M (just received last week) has a Black Steel upper lever.

Yes, resonant noise transfers up the shaft. Also, sounds like a metal ball bearing rattling inside the stock ball handle at high rpm's in 2nd, 3rd and 4th gears.

Could this be the detent springs vibrating in the housing and hitting the machined channels they reside in?!?! Hmmmmmm.....

My B&M STS purchased new in 11/09 has a steel upper shifter lever per the install instructions (and verified by a magnet). My B&M shifter has no more vibration than the OEM Hurst with rubber assembly removed... no buzzing, etc.

popstoy said:
lot of my bm shifter noise vibrated through shift knob put some silicone in knob that got rid of noise for me.

Excellent idea, I jut filled my shifter knob with silicone and it cut down the rattle dramatically, thank you!!! :rock: :rock: :rock:

Latest posts

Support Us

Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Back