B&M Shifter!!!!!!!!

I have a B&M in the Viper, I must say it does very well, but I am comparing to the stock 94 shifter, YIKES.

BOOMER said:
i can say it, its substandard for what they COULD make. Hurst & Dodge both have more engineering resources than B&M, but all 3 are driven by the almighty dollar. me, i am too, but i ONLY make parts for these trucks & the Vipers, so i put forth every possible resource into our parts so that they CAN NOT be made better. when you make shifters for HUNDREDS of applications, you find a general concept that works for most of them, and that sacrifice is evident in the B&M design for the tremec tranny. our shifter wont work in a Viper, even though the tranny is the same, to do it right requires an entierly new design, however i could have made the Viper shifter work in the truck, but it would have caused compromises-so i didnt.
for 265 bucks you get what you pay for. it uses a plastic 1/2 ball for a bearing, and massed produced parts that are very very run of the mill. i could make the exact same thing, and sell it for the exact same price, and i have one 1/10 of the resources that those guys do, and its NOT B&M anymore, its a huge corporate conglomerate that sources their parts & products overseas.
the bearing assembley in my shifter is a 2 piece floating spherical bearing that is self enclosed & lubricated, and buying them in bulk still costs me over $85-EACH. the BM's, Hursts, etc all us just 2 springs under the shaft cross bar, ours uses a combination of multi rate prrogession spring assembleys under & OVER the cross bar for a true positive shift detent. i will take photos of both mine & theirs laid out, when my patent lawyer says its ok. OR you can take mine apart and compare it to your buddies mass produced BM or whatever. mine is composed of over 58 parts. the BM is made of 16. yes there most definiletly is a HUGE difference, its like comparing a dodge ram 1500 to the SRT ram, yes they are both trucks, but thats about as close as they get. my shifter design is so advanced, i spent over $5000 so far in patent processing, just to protect it from the big companies. anyone who thinks they are saving money and getting the same thing is dilusional

B&M does build a quality product for a mass produced item. We as a group are very lucky to have someone like Gary around that has the ability to build high quality speciality items for our trucks. Gary is not producing items in 100 to 1000 count lots. You will pay more for Gary's product, but in the end you do get a higher quality product.

Silverback said:
B&M does build a quality product for a mass produced item. We as a group are very lucky to have someone like Gary around that has the ability to build high quality speciality items for our trucks. Gary is not producing items in 100 to 1000 count lots. You will pay more for Gary's product, but in the end you do get a higher quality product.
thanks Silver. B&M isnt about producing what we are making, its WAY too time consuming and not cost effective, its not what they are about. Patrick & Fastjack will be recieving one of our shifters and they are going to race it & compare its componets, design, craftsmanship & capabilities.
our shifter is like comparing a custom built sheetmetal intake vs a Proform from Summit. this shifter will be found in Trans-am style race cars in the very near future.

Gary where is my shifter, I have Lightinings to strike and ricers to fry, I'm willing to wait for a quality product verses a mass produce piece that was built to a bar chart, that's so many per hour, right or wrong. SPEED COSTS MONEY HOW FAST DO YOU WANT TO GO!

MR ED's SRT10 said:
Gary where is my shifter, I have Lightinings to strike and ricers to fry, I'm willing to wait for a quality product verses a mass produce piece that was built to a bar chart, that's so many per hour, right or wrong. SPEED COSTS MONEY HOW FAST DO YOU WANT TO GO!
well said, shipping starts next week!

I've laid my dirty paws on Gary's new shifter. It is an awesome piece and well worth the wait.

Come on Gary.... make one for a Viper!!!!! I'll even bring you a test mule.

Scrambler1 said:
I've laid my dirty paws on Gary's new shifter. It is an awesome piece and well worth the wait.

Come on Gary.... make one for a Viper!!!!! I'll even bring you a test mule.
its pretty well done, i have a 2000 GTS now. i just have to make the new upper lever mount & it should work great in the Viper.
Ram from hell sent me his corvette shifter, so we will be making one for those too. now that shifter needs serious help!

I actually feel kind of cocky about stuff for our truck being pricey. If it werent for that u probably see our trucks on every corner and mods for our trucks @ local autozone performance aisle... Keep up the good work Boomer..

FerrariTruck said:
I actually feel kind of cocky about stuff for our truck being pricey. If it werent for that u probably see our trucks on every corner and mods for our trucks @ local autozone performance aisle... Keep up the good work Boomer..
dude, i really appreciate that. thats what i am proud of, the stuff we make will never be the type to in autozone or Jegs, its too high end. makes me feel good about bustin my butt on this stuff when you guys appreciate it the way you do. old world craftsmanship, utilizing modern technology.
a few of you guys should actually have some of my DNA in your shifter! i just sliced the piss out of my fingers on a carbide cutter. so there trully is blood sweat & tears in this product!

BOOMER said:
dude, i really appreciate that. thats what i am proud of, the stuff we make will never be the type to in autozone or Jegs, its too high end. makes me feel good about bustin my butt on this stuff when you guys appreciate it the way you do. old world craftsmanship, utilizing modern technology.
a few of you guys should actually have some of my DNA in your shifter! i just sliced the piss out of my fingers on a carbide cutter. so there trully is blood sweat & tears in this product!

OHHH OHHH I want that one!! Garys my hero!!! :D :D

-Red

Gary, Can I use the new shift kit with the stock Hurst lever?

doneo said:
Gary, Can I use the new shift kit with the stock Hurst lever?
i have been kicking that idea around & tested it over the weekend, and the hurst lever has that funky bend in it, and the mounting holes in the hurst are HUGE, so no, it wont work bro.

When is it shipping Gary? If I get killed by another Cobra because I miss third I'm going to call it a Boomer loss...

Know Your Shifter!

Hey Boomer is the cure not the curse, you choose to race with a sub standard shifter ( factory ) the lose is still yours, The name goes on after the quality GOES IN! The factory is the one that causes you this embarassment, but when you get the shifter the Cobra will be Surprised! Roy at our age the beer is always colder when drank from long neck bottles. Cunnying and deciete will overcome youth and vitality! Run your races at your convience not thiers . :elefant: :rock: :p :beer:

Last edited:
Gary, I STILL wanna know if this is the final stage, perfected, there ain't no more to improve shifter...... I'm holding out for that one....

SD

Latest posts

Support Us

Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Back