B&M shifter

LoveThisTruck

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Took out the Xmetal(gen1) and installed the B&M today. WOW what a difference. Much shorter throw, and just an all around better feel:rock: Anybody want a xmetal shifter????:D

nope but i'm happy you like it ! i love mine when i can drive my truck lol

What is the difference in "firmness" between the two? Does the B&M require more effort or the X-Metal?
How about driveline noise? Louder/quieter? Details boy, details! :D

i just installed mine today. I set it to the shortest you could on the B*M. Mine is NOISY!!!! I need to find a way to make it quieter. I LOVE SHIFTING to 3 now. SOO sweeet. and it is also way easier to get into reverse now too. very sweet mod though. I had to snip some of the tin to get it installed without scuffing the shifter on install. and also slit the carpet a little to make it easier to get the bolts in and out. In the short time I got to drive it I think its 10x better. ill post some pics of the difference, maybe a sound clip of some nasty noise. later

Last edited:
are you using the stock ball shifter ??
i switched to a viper knob from avondale here on site and i get no buzz threw shifter now

I think the B&M is a little bit more "firm" but it just feels so damn good. You can really hammer through the gears :driver: better with the B&M. I had alot of noise with the xmetal... I now have none:rock:

most of the noise was coming from the ball on my B&M Shifter and now since they switched there Rods To Steel rather than alum i don't think it's that big of an issue any more

Ironhead said:
are you using the stock ball shifter ??
i switched to a viper knob from avondale here on site and i get no buzz threw shifter now
really ? wonder if that viper ball would help the noise i get from my gen4 ?? :dontknow:

do you have a pic of the viper ball installed ?

what did you pay ?

:dito: I would be interested in this as well.

I don't even get how the ball is transmitting the vibration?? Sounds interesting though, wonder if it will work for the X-Metal guys.

LoveThisTruck said:
Took out the Xmetal(gen1) and installed the B&M today. WOW what a difference. Much shorter throw, and just an all around better feel:rock: Anybody want a xmetal shifter????:D

GEN 10 ? How much ? I have a GEN 4 but want a GEN 10.

ya it is the stock ball. I will try and sort it out and see if i can get it to clear! thanks man

FINALLY FIXED IT!!!!!!!!!!! no more B&M shifter noise!

So last night I took the truck shifter apart to see if it was misaligned.... sure enough I think it was. I loosened all the bolts like stinker said and drove around town for 15 minutes. Put it in nuetral and tightened the bolts. WOW reverse has never been so easy to hit. I pulled the knob off, the metal O that has rubber and 6-8 screws in it off. loosened the bolts, and drove around.

SO before putting everything back together. I noticed NO shifter noise.... wtf... double checked the shifter bolts. all were tight. next put the O with 6-8 screws on it back on. Drove around. GRRRRRR noise and vibration!!!! Talked to a buddy. Went and got some silicone. and put 2 little beads around the whole thing. Let it dry and screwed it back down. test drove it. NO NOISE!!!! grinning ear to to ear I put everything back on 1 piece at a time and tested after each install. That fixed the problem. No noise. Easy flowing gears, and 1 Happy dude!!

Thanks everyone again for the tips, especially stinker and the other 2 guys i forget there names:) thx!!!!!!!

all i had to do was replace stock ball with the viperhead one

Latest posts

Support Us

Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Back