Back to the track! There's something wrong!

avcts

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I went back to the track last night. Hopefully, to get a 12.8. This was not the case. Made a total of 6 passes. 2 of the 6 were not even worth mentioning. I smoked and missed 4th on one(2.065 60'), and the other I missed third(1.995 60').

Remember my last post "Back to the track" were I slowed down? I absolutely cannot hit anywhere near the same trap speed. Look at the attached time slips. This clearly shows that there is a problem with my truck. Even though I CLEARLY waited about an hour between runs, the air temps were dropping about 4-5 degrees between passes and 60's got better, my trap speed dropped on EVERY pass. It seems like I can no longer bark 2-3 and 3-4. My clutch pedal is ALL the way up before the clutch fully engages. I kinda doubt it has anything to do with the motor. My 330' drops on evey pass.

Im hoping its just the clutch beginning to slip at high rpm. Its hard for me to hear it slip. Doesnt sound like it but my shifts aren't as firm as they use to be. We all know that when a problem slowly progresses, its hard to notice.

What do you guys think?:dontknow: :confused:

Attachments

• Time Slips.jpg
    Time Slips.jpg
    987.2 KB · Views: 71
Sounds like the clutch is going south. Explains how you got that 1.9 60' and your trap speed is lower.

No smell ?

No.

I should be trapping at near 109. Its so freakin hard to notice. Just the pedal is way to far up before the clutch totally grabs. In most of the cars I've driven, the clutch fully grabs BEFORE the pedal is fully released.:dontknow:

I need to try the clutch. I just need to find a fare price. Summit is 511. I found another on the internet for 484 shipped to my door.

Anybody have one for sale?:D

Avcts there is the ol redneck way of testing a clutch, runat 55mph in 5th or 6th and just drop the clutch it should grab hard, but if it slowly revs, well then you know. I have one place that sells let me look up the number.

Might want to check the level just to make sure but yea, it should be fully engaged much earlier.

I just ordered the Viper master/slave upgrade and the Centerforce Fidenza flywheel set up from Boomer. My master/slave unit is going south and figured it was worth upgrading the whole assembly ;)

I had my tranny replaced. After picking it up, I noticed it started to shift like $hit again. The master was near empty. Dealer never checked it. I refilled and bled the system and it never shifter better. Then I ran in the 12's. I noticed some time after that,that the pedal seemed a little high when releasing.

Now, understand that the damn master was low from the start and my clutch was dragging for over 5k miles. Thats what probably killed the clutch early AND probably led to the detonation of second gear (dragging).

I relocated the line from the master cylinder because it ran near the exhaust and seemed to heat up the fluid and clutch felt like shit, since then i really haven't had to much of a problem, don't know if this will help you or not but thought it was worth mentioning

I hear that was an issue with 04's. Mine is an 05. I checked the routing. Its as far away from the exhaust as possible. Also, there is thick heat shielding around it.

I took this into consideration. My peddle is still to high whether the motor is cold or hot. Doesnt matter.

Thanks!!!!

I have to retract a statement made earlier:eek: .

After doing more research about Spec and there fine customer support, I have come to the conclusion that there is no way in hell I would use there products.

A local Viper shop told me he has seen them detonate and sometimes injure the driver. Holy $hit!

Still looking for the Centerforce. I need to order today.

Don't feel too bad... I hit the track Saturday morning....first time since spring...terrible passes....14.0 pretty consistently...and 2.0 sixties. Pulled 1 13.9 on the last one, and had enough. Terrrible hot out...oil temp at the burnout box @ 200 degrees.
Stuffed her back into the garage for another month till cooler weather hits.

run 1:

r/t .117
60 2.1
330 6.0
1/8 9.3 @ 75.60
1000 12.03
1/4 14.291

Run 2
r/t .285
60 2.037
330 5.89
1/8 9.11 @ 76.71
1000 11.76
1/4 14.06

Run 3

r/t .112
60 2.008
330 5.83
1/8 9.00 @ 77.45
1000 11.65
1/4 13.92

Spec go "boom"!!! Not good!!!! '

I hear ya NBT, with that Africa Hot you have in FL during the summer, fast times are just not possible. I feel the same way, why beat on you truck when your not gonna get your fastest time because of the hot weather.

patrick

mauiSRT/10 said:
Spec go "boom"!!! Not good!!!! '

I hear ya NBT, with that Africa Hot you have in FL during the summer, fast times are just not possible. I feel the same way, why beat on you truck when your not gonna get your fastest time because of the hot weather.

patrick

Not worth it for sure... the 40 minute drive did not help...Made my first pass 15 minutes after I got there. I was running the stock rims/rubber to boot.
It did feel nice to run her...but at the same time depressing because there were just no 12's in her. Can't wait for some 60 degree weather...probably be November.:dontknow:

NBT said:
Don't feel too bad... I hit the track Saturday morning....first time since spring...terrible passes....14.0 pretty consistently...and 2.0 sixties. Pulled 1 13.9 on the last one, and had enough. Terrrible hot out...oil temp at the burnout box @ 200 degrees.
Stuffed her back into the garage for another month till cooler weather hits.

run 1:

r/t .117
60 2.1
330 6.0
1/8 9.3 @ 75.60
1000 12.03
1/4 14.291

Run 2
r/t .285
60 2.037
330 5.89
1/8 9.11 @ 76.71
1000 11.76
1/4 14.06

Run 3

r/t .112
60 2.008
330 5.83
1/8 9.00 @ 77.45
1000 11.65
1/4 13.92

This is a stupid question (not really, but if I don't ask I'll never know)......but what is normal degree for oil temp and engine temp? If it is about 85 out and I am in town driving (not hard driving) my trucks oil temp is around 200 and the truck is also around 200-205---does this seem right? Thanks and sorry to hijack the thread for a sec., bikertat

bikertat said:
This is a stupid question (not really, but if I don't ask I'll never know)......but what is normal degree for oil temp and engine temp? If it is about 85 out and I am in town driving (not hard driving) my trucks oil temp is around 200 and the truck is also around 200-205---does this seem right? Thanks and sorry to hijack the thread for a sec., bikertat

That sounds right. You want 200-210 for oil temp to boil any water out. Water temp around 200 is good also.

FlyingLow said:
That sounds right. You want 200-210 for oil temp to boil any water out. Water temp around 200 is good also.

Thanks, I was getting alittle worried---like I said, just didn't know if 200-210 was hot for my engine temp. I figured oil temp around 200 or so would be ok. Thanks again bikertat

FlyingLow said:

That's right where mine sits when she is plenty heat soaked...:D

Give Dan a call, it's free...........

Dan Cragin
President
DC Performance Inc.

3370 S. Livonia Ave.
Los Angeles, CA 90034
Tel: 310-841-6996
Fax: 310-841-6496
Toll Free: 800-841-8979

He's going to put one in mine as soon as I blow the stock-one.
He knows of a good one!

Quick

QUICKSILVER said:
Give Dan a call, it's free...........

Dan Cragin
President
DC Performance Inc.

3370 S. Livonia Ave.
Los Angeles, CA 90034
Tel: 310-841-6996
Fax: 310-841-6496
Toll Free: 800-841-8979

He's going to put one in mine as soon as I blow the stock-one.
He knows of a good one!

Quick
He is going to put one "WHAT", on your truck?

Bill.

Latest posts

Support Us

Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Back