Bad day at the track

TurboFreak

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I went to the CA Speedway today. Not only was it hot as hell but I could not shift into 3rd to save my life. My first to runs I missed 3rd so I made a mental note to hammer it in on the third run and shifted into 1st.:eek: I think watching that video a couple days ago about an import that almost flip over by shifting into 1st during a run jinxed me, lol. My best for the day was 14.1 @ 101.18 missing third. I was taking off from idle to not spin and was coming out very slow.

What clutch, shifter etc. do I need to launch this thing better? My truck needs one mod to get into the 13's, a driver mod, lol. Trainman I need you to help me launch!

4.88's and better ability to feather clutch off the line. for me going into third I usually have no prob if I shift about 600 rpm's below the rev limiter. The closer i push it the harder it is to go in

if you lauch anything over 3500 and you dont have a locker 1st thru 3rd are gonna leave some good imprints. If you are not using dr's even NA you are not gonna break into the 12's that is a fact.

You need a B&M or X-Metal shifter and change the master/slave cyl to the Viper one......big difference in 2-3 shift...........as long as your stock clutch is OK just save money and stick with it for now.....FatJack pulled a 1.5X 60' with a stock clutch that had I think 40K+ miles on it...

ShaneKennett said:
4.88's and better ability to feather clutch off the line. for me going into third I usually have no prob if I shift about 600 rpm's below the rev limiter. The closer i push it the harder it is to go in
Exactly! On the street I have no problem going into 3rd but today trying to shift between 5600-5800 I could not muscle it in until I coasted a little. I went for drinks at the local gas station and on the way there and back no problem going into 3rd again because I was shifting much sooner. What can I do to fix this?

DevilDawg3097 said:
if you lauch anything over 3500 and you dont have a locker 1st thru 3rd are gonna leave some good imprints. If you are not using dr's even NA you are not gonna break into the 12's that is a fact.
12's shoot I just want to get into the mid to low 13's.

My Silverado did 13.7 @ 96.11 and the Viper truck feels stronger especially up top where the Silvy feels a little bit better down low but no top end. On the run that I shifted back into 1st instead of 3rd I was beating a 300C that did 13.7. A was just beginning to pull him when disaster reared its ugly head.

That run looked like this:

...........SRT-10........300C

R/T ........ .204 ....... .200
60' ....... 2.139 ...... 2.177
330 ...... 5.795 ...... 5.920
1/8 ...... 9.800 ...... 8.944
MPH .... 53.92 ....... ??.??
1000 ... 14.116 .... 11.554
1/4 ..... 18.096 .... 13.744
MPH .... 53.89 ..... 103.27

This is my time in the Silverado:

R/T ........ .271
60' ....... 1.920
330 ...... 5.564
1/8 ....... 8.678
MPH .... 78.54
1000 ... 11.421
1/4 ..... 13.762
MPH .... 96.11

Get a B&M shifter. I'm on the market for one right now. Everyone who has one said it fixes this and it helps getting into reverse

TNVIPER said:
You need a B&M or X-Metal shifter and change the master/slave cyl to the Viper one......big difference in 2-3 shift...........as long as your stock clutch is OK just save money and stick with it for now.....FatJack pulled a 1.5X 60' with a stock clutch that had I think 40K+ miles on it...
How much is a clutch? Mine only has 19K miles but after the last run it smelled a little and I think it was slipping because I did not miss a shift and only managed a 14.6. Again that was the best run I had shifting wise and I thought for sure I had bagged 13 but when I received the slip I was shocked. I noticed the rpm's hovered around 5500-5900 the whole time regardless of the gear I was in and it smelled like clutch when I was pulling off the track. Before that run I did a heal/toe to warm the tires during my burnout but I might have never completely pulled my other foot back from the clutch pedal.

ShaneKennett said:
I currently have 4.56's.

ShaneKennett said:
Get a B&M shifter. I'm on the market for one right now. Everyone who has one said it fixes this and it helps getting into reverse
I don't need help getting into reverse. I once went into rev shifting from 4th into 5th at WOT on the freeway, lol. Luckily I did not release the clutch pedal because I realized my mistake. It is a little hard(grinds a bit) when backing up sometimes.

How much is the B&M?

I think stinker can get them for something like 260 shipped. I can't swear on that but it was in that ballpark

TurboFreak said:
How much is a clutch? Mine only has 19K miles but after the last run it smelled a little and I think it was slipping because I did not miss a shift and only managed a 14.6. Again that was the best run I had shifting wise and I thought for sure I had bagged 13 but when I received the slip I was shocked. I noticed the rpm's hovered around 5500-5900 the whole time regardless of the gear I was in and it smelled like clutch when I was pulling off the track. Before that run I did a heal/toe to warm the tires during my burnout but I might have never completely pulled my other foot back from the clutch pedal.

I currently have 4.56's.

You probably ruined your clutch...I did the same thing the first time I went to the track...I missed 3rd and went into 5th....engine was winding but I wasnt going any faster....cooked the clutch........here is a link to Roe's sight with choices.......and I disagree with Dawg...I turned a 12.8 with stock tires and a 1.9 60'...

http://www.roeracing.com/ProductCart/pc/viewCategories.asp?idCategory=92

TNVIPER said:
You probably ruined your clutch...I did the same thing the first time I went to the track...I missed 3rd and went into 5th....engine was winding but I wasnt going any faster....cooked the clutch........here is a link to Roe's sight with choices.......and I disagree with Dawg...I turned a 12.8 with stock tires and a 1.9 60'...

http://www.roeracing.com/ProductCart/pc/viewCategories.asp?idCategory=92

I got a quick question if my truck sits for a week or so and then get in it and drive it not WOT but kinda quick in the first 5 min I get a funky smell on the passenger side, like something is burning. I thought it could be the cats getting too much fuel and burning the excess but I don't know. The clutch doesn't act up every at all so it shouldn;t be the culprit right?

ShaneKennett said:
I got a quick question if my truck sits for a week or so and then get in it and drive it not WOT but kinda quick in the first 5 min I get a funky smell on the passenger side, like something is burning. I thought it could be the cats getting too much fuel and burning the excess but I don't know. The clutch doesn't act up every at all so it shouldn;t be the culprit right?

Doubt it has anything to do with the clutch but I wouldnt have any idea without actually smelling the smell.......maybe someone here had a similiar problem and will chime in..:dontknow:

ShaneKennett said:
You running headers? If so look at the wheel well on the passenger side close to the tube.

JRSVIPR said:
You running headers? If so look at the wheel well on the passenger side close to the tube.

Nope truck is bone stock. Just a catback exhaust. The smell seems to come from around the area of the passenger side cats and the bellhousing

TNVIPER said:
Doubt it has anything to do with the clutch but I wouldnt have any idea without actually smelling the smell.......maybe someone here had a similiar problem and will chime in..:dontknow:

It was almost like a burning rubber smell. I know uts hard to diagnose with out actually smelling it. I really am starting to think it is excess fuel in the cats and its the cat burning up. I know that unburnt fuel will mess the internals of the cats up. It only does it after sitting for a while and then running it up to aboout 3500 4000 in the first 5 minutes

14.1 is not to terrible for your mods at CA speedway. Especially on hot day like today.

If your powershifting full throttle in 3rd gear even with the full centerforce and viper slave you will still have trouble getting it in 3rd.

I would likely start with a b&m. byfar best mod for the trucks and then go from there. Once you completely smoke the clutch then we should do centerforce, slave, flywheel the whole deal. If you need someone qualified to install it give me a shout

i also have to disagree with dawg, i ran a 13.1 on stock tires and i only had a 2.15 60ft, a few other prople have ran high 12's with stock trucks on street tires, bigred ran a 12.28 about a week ago on street tires and his truck is pretty much stock althought he stripped it down for less weight

ShaneKennett said:

have ya checked your engine oil cooler lines for leakage??????

ARRESTmeRed04 said:
i also have to disagree with dawg, i ran a 13.1 on stock tires and i only had a 2.15 60ft, a few other prople have ran high 12's with stock trucks on street tires, bigred ran a 12.28 about a week ago on street tires and his truck is pretty much stock althought he stripped it down for less weight
I also think a 12 sec run can be had in a stock 10.

If I had not missed the shift into 3rd I think I could have had a 13.5 since the 300C got a 13.7 and I was already a tenth ahead at the 330. If I punch that number into the DA correction calculator I get 12.9. So it is possible given the correct conditions and a "good driver", lol.

It was hot as stink(no pun intended Sawyer) yesterday and the DA was +3800 for that run according to the following site: http://www.dragtimes.com/da-density...56&mph=103.27&correctetmph=Correct+ET+and+MPH

TurboFreak said:
I also think a 12 sec run can be had in a stock 10.

If I had not missed the shift into 3rd I think I could have had a 13.5 since the 300C got a 13.7 and I was already a tenth ahead at the 330. If I punch that number into the DA correction calculator I get 12.9. So it is possible given the correct conditions and a "good driver", lol.

It was hot as stink(no pun intended Sawyer) yesterday and the DA was +3800 for that run according to the following site: http://www.dragtimes.com/da-density...56&mph=103.27&correctetmph=Correct+ET+and+MPH
yeah, the temp kills us, get a b&m shifter they really help the 2-3 shift

Latest posts

Support Us

Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Back