Bad Drive shaft ??

Sitedrifter

Reaction score
I bring my truck to the dealer for them to locate a creaking/binding noise when I take off in first gear. They tell me I need a whole new drive shaft. I said WHAT did you say?

They tell me they feel the noise in in the driveshaft itself. Problem is, there are no drive shafts to be had anywhere according to them. So they are calling Chrysler STAR tomorrow to find out if they are available. If not they want a shop to install a custom one.

WTF is all I got to say, well that and I think it is a rear u-joint since they replaced the front u-joint and the noise happens far far less.

If the driveshaft is not bent, why do they want to replace the whole driveshaft? Maybe the splines are messed up or something? I would ask them why the want to replace the whole thing. If it's under warranty, then sure, have a custom one made with the dealership paying for it.

they are just trying to accomidate an aggrivating customer, a driveshaft itself will not squeak, the u joints maybe, but they can be replaced

either that or they absolutly have no idea of what they are doing and shooting in the dark

plus you dont drive your truck hard enough to wear out an aluminum driveshaft

They are just trying to make money off you. I took my truck to the dealer after hearing what I thought was a lifter tapping. It only does it when I have my high tune in during racing. In stock mode it goes away. They wanted to pull my whole engine apart to try and fix it. He told me 15000 to fix it. I laughed at him got in my truck and drove off.

call x2 builders they have some parts for srt 10's. price are reasonable but not cheap.

You can have a driveshaft shop check it for any tweaks and replace u-joints far cheaper than the dealer. I do know the driveshafts are back order because Jayssrt had to wait almost a month for his.

Yeah they replaced the front u-joint with the yoke. I asked the dingbats about the rear u-joint and they said it was ok. I asked (kiddingly) if it was magnafluxed and they gave me the strangest look. LOL

When I talk to them today I will tell them they need to replace the rear u-joint under warranty and let that be it. They are not going to mess with the drive shaft. I can't wait for this conversation as the service writer makes me cringe when I talk to him.

ya sure they can change a u-joint ????

Got a nice new custom driveshaft rated for about 1500 HP. It fits an RC if someone needs it:)

Chrysler Engineering states the driveshaft is discontinued. However they will authorize a reconditioning of the drive shaft.

I told the dealer nope, I will stop down and close out the work order.

Sorry guys but it is time to buy a new vehicle. Not sure what yet but with the warranty out in December, I am not sure I want to deal with the price of repairs on her. She has done me well over the last 6.5 years and I am sure will find a nice loving home.

Selling over the servicing of a Ujoint? The 15yr old kid across the street can swap out a Ujoint. :dontknow:

Wifey, I thought your truck was a garage Queen. What was the drive shaft for? :confused:

Parts is parts:D and it is for someone that wants to abuse their beast ;):dontknow::elefant:

Forgot to add ...........I Love Stock :rock::rock::D:D

Last edited:

Latest posts

Support Us

Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Back