Band issue on my QC

Snakes709

Full Access Member
Reaction score
OK the other day i decided to change the fluid and adjust my bands. However at the time i wasnt able to get to the front one so i didnt touch that one. I did the rear but was in a rush and forgot to back the band off 3 turns after torquing it to 72in-lbs. I went for a quick drive and thats when i noticed i forgot that step. The truck was bucking like crazy, locking the tranny/driveshaft up and chirping the tires...turned right around and parked the truck...maybe 150 meters total distance driven.

So the next day i dropped the pan again and re-adjusted the rear band...ok good, now the truck is driveable...but it had a really bad 1-2 slippage...i messed with the cable going to the TB a few times but couldnt get it to stop, got my shift points perfect but that was screwy.

So today i dropped the pan again, made damn sure i torqued it to the right specs and backed it off 2 turns instead of 3 (thinking it would put more pressure on the drum and stop the slippage) Also i was able to get to the front band and got that adjusted to specs.

Took a drive around the block....still slipping in 1-2. WTF is going on?

Here is a video of it, i know its hard to see but at 2100rpm it shifts from 1st to 2nd and then right away the rpms flare up.

Do you think i damaged something when i fucked up the first time?

Last edited:
Bro a buddy of mine crapped his tranny missing the step you missed.... he did a valve body at the same timehe did the band adjustments and thought it was an issue with thhe VB..... he drove it twice down the street and it wouldn't shift in driive at all and also" bucked".... afyer two drives down the sgreet and back hiis tranny was toast! When I pulled the pan his fluid was black and burnt......

Not saying you crapped your tranny but you need to consider that and repare for the worst.......becuase I am telliing you that it doesn't take much to wear the clutch material off the bands .....and IMHO its slipping now because that material has worn down already.....maybe someone else will chir in and have u inspect something else to verify but usually if you do a roer band adjustment and its still slipping....well u know what time it is :(

I say it's rebuild time, when u didn't turn the adjustment back u peeled the clutch material(lining) off the bands, nothin u can do but pull it apart! Sorry to tell you this but maybe I'm wrong,pm me if you want AceOmatics # and get ya fixed up or atleast he can have a look at it for you and won't rip you off.

Last edited:
Well what is the estimate cost of getting new bands? or do i need a complete overhaul of my tranny?

I been looking on ebay and theres alot of Master Rebuild kits....im guessing thats what i need? They range from $160 - $350....thats not to bad if thats the case.

Last edited:
you mines well get some upgraded parts and have it rebuilt.....if you can do the work yourself that will save you alot of cash but you need to prepare your pockets for the rebuild...until then, start riding the bike! Oh and make sure you flush the tranny before you pull the transmission so you get all the burnt clutch material and stuff flushed out....and you may want to look at getting your vertor flushed professionally as well....

Yea my pockets arent that deep right now for a tranny upgrade/build..lol. And i wouldnt have the slightest clue what im doing so i wont be doing the work.

I bought all my parts from htstransmissions.com/index.html and AceOmatic put it all together and change and few other things that need to be replaced and my bill was around $2850 all said and done.

so that $520 rebuild kit is pretty much what i need to get my truck running normal. Besides my transgo shift kit, im not looking at any other bells and whistles.

Yea my pockets arent that deep right now for a tranny upgrade/build..lol. And i wouldnt have the slightest clue what im doing so i wont be doing the work.

Yeah that should do it, I would get a valve body upgrade too and sell your transgo shift kit, call HTS and talk with Dusty, he will take the time to explain stuff to you and answer any questions you have, great guy too.

right on, thanks guys. I'll try to get a hold of them during the week...dont know when since im going to be at the sniping range all week.

Also you guys are saying do a fluid flush to get the burnt metal pieces out. I dropped the pan twice since that mistake and i never seen anything except purple fluid...so unless that shit is really in the tranny, i dont think it is as bad as i think.

Edit: Went down to JB's Power Center, cant remember the companies name but they said they have the stage 1 parts (basically replacement parts but made of better material) for $550...thats without military discount, can probably get it for $490 ish with my discount...so ill probably order it on July 15th. Hopefully the truck can hang on before it totally gives out.

Last edited:
If you drive it, it's going to fry everything inside and u will be doing a complete rebuild, I would park it until you get the parts to fix it, it might not be that bad now but driving them when there's damage inside will quickly get real bad! Jmo

For your parts, I highly advise on the HTS parts, the quality is I bet 3 times better then JB stuff, the abuse my tranny gets with a supercharger on it, proves the quality and my tranny guy couldn't believe the tranny looked just the day it left there after playing with it all summer 3K miles on it! ( there may have been a "couple" hard ones on it,LMAO) shhhh Rad!!

Last edited:
Yea once i picked up the bottle of ATF fluid i needed i parked it, ill only drive it if i need to transport my army gear...cuz carring 75lbs of gear on my crotch rocket, isnt going to happen.

I'm gonna give the dealership a call tomorrow and see if they will cover it, i have 93,095km on the odo so i think the 100,000km powertrain will cover it. Which means ill have to rip out the nitrous...unless they believe me that i havent used it yet.

Take out all remnants of the nitrous and reinstall the factory air box! Best create the illusion of stock completely!!! Honesty will get you screwed!

dont have stock airbox, the truck came with intake and exhaust...only thing i've added for power is the nitrous, tune, coils and wires.

Latest posts

Support Us

Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Back