Battery Relocation; Cons and Pros?

Azmal

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I cant remember who, but someone mentioned relocating the battery to the bed in another thread. Since my truck is conveiniently located at my the audio shop in Houston still, think I should have them stick it with the rest of the batteries of the audio install in the back? Originally I was going to get some sheet metal and make a battery box type thing and cut out SRT-10 of it and backlight it so you could see the SRT-10 glow through at night, or day even. That'd be cool and all but it might look more clean in the end without a battery in the bay. Are there any cons or pros I'm unaware of by doing this?

Drag racers especially like moving it to the back for weight dist.

But I question how much of a difference it makes in a 5000+ lb truck.....:dontknow:

Nowwhat said:
Drag racers especially like moving it to the back for weight dist.

But I question how much of a difference it makes in a 5000+ lb truck.....:dontknow:

thats exactly what I was thinking...30Lb?? I dunno how much it would make...:dontknow: :confused:

you lose 30 lbs in the engine compartment and gain 30 over the rear wheels.

Well I dont think it would make much of a difference alone but I've already got 2 batts back there.... plus 8 subs.... and 4 amps.... and then a couple of capasitors.... a couple mid range and a really heavy wood and fiberglass box/enclosure. Sooo its got plenty of extra weight heh. I wonder what my weight dist would be at this point.... maybe about 50 50

if you take it to the track, they will not pass you through tech without a battery kill switch in the back bumper. I guess thats a con...

AWDisuzu said:
if you take it to the track, they will not pass you through tech without a battery kill switch in the back bumper. I guess thats a con...

then you get to put one of those cool switches in that say "this ride is bad ass".....so that is a pro.....:D

True indeed, as I have already installed said devices in 2 of my cars and the cool factor is a plus. Not too sure I wanna drill a hole in the srt-10 though.

~mike~

Nowwhat said:
then you get to put one of those cool switches in that say "this ride is bad ass".....so that is a pro.....:D

wtf?? what are you guys talking about? someone explain this kill switch ordeal to me cuz I'll definatly be taking it to the track after I've had at least some engine work done.

Not worth the time and effort in a basically stock truck. For someone like Jack that is building an all out drag truck it's worth it and probably a requirement for the time and speed he will be running.

Azmal said:
wtf?? what are you guys talking about? someone explain this kill switch ordeal to me cuz I'll definatly be taking it to the track after I've had at least some engine work done.

It's a ON/OFF switch on the rear of the car/truck where the battery can be switched off in case of an accident. Turn it to OFF and nothing will receive power.

That seems odd to me...
So, if I move the battery to the rear, I'll have to put a toggle switch somewhere on the rear if I want to run it?
Does this have to be exposed? Or obviously located?
I'd be concerned with someone flipping it at some point in everyday situations, theres a number of things that could happen to a switch on the outside. Just weird to me.

Azmal said:
Well I dont think it would make much of a difference alone but I've already got 2 batts back there.... plus 8 subs.... and 4 amps.... and then a couple of capasitors.... a couple mid range and a really heavy wood and fiberglass box/enclosure. Sooo its got plenty of extra weight heh. I wonder what my weight dist would be at this point.... maybe about 50 50

Gotta say, if you have all that extra gear and weight being installed already, moving a few pounds a few feet back isn't going to make a difference. I think you've already added 1.5 seconds to your ET as it is.:turtle:

Well keep in mind its not the weight dist that I'm concerned with at all, I mentioned that as an observation or side note, its all about asthetics; What'll look better and what would be the downside. And obviously having a switch exposed is a downside on some levels. I'm planning to get my HP over 1000 so I'm not worried too much about the bed slowing me down, I'll have more than enough juice to satisfy myself :D
Anyone gotta pic of a kill switch installed?

I did it. I built a battery holder that fits into the back side of the Hidden Hitch. It sits up in the space where the spare is (I have to remove the spare). I use welding cable quick connects to relocate it from front to back.

All weight is not created equal. 30# from the nose will help with weight transfer more than 30# from the cab, bed, or exhaust (muffler).

actually, they will make you have a kill switch if you move the battery to any non-factory location. and yes it has to be very visible and yes anyone can walk by and shut it off. although nobody has turned mine off yet.

Mike

kill2.jpg

kill1.jpg

With all that stereo in the back your gonna have plenty of weight in the back. That weight will kill you in your 1/4 times.....its too much. You must have a good 5-600 lbs back there.

Latest posts

Support Us

Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Back