Bent pushrods?

dodgeff232

Full Access Member
Reaction score
i've been having a ticking noise from my valvetrain. Louder than normal. Anyways i had the oil changed today and had a corvette tech and a viper tech look at it. they said that it could be a bent pushrod or something. the truck only has 11,500 miles on it.

Any suggestions on what else it could be? I hope its just a pushrod, they are cheap and easy to install.

dodgeff232 said:
i've been having a ticking noise from my valvetrain. Louder than normal. Anyways i had the oil changed today and had a corvette tech and a viper tech look at it. they said that it could be a bent pushrod or something. the truck only has 11,500 miles on it.

Any suggestions on what else it could be? I hope its just a pushrod, they are cheap and easy to install.

you should be fine bro, these engines sound like the pistons are commin out most of the time
change to 10w30 ro even 15w40 and most of the noise should go away

Stinker said:
you should be fine bro, these engines sound like the pistons are commin out most of the time
change to 10w30 ro even 15w40 and most of the noise should go away
Change oil to 15w40 get rid of a potentially serious issue :confused: wtf...

The valvetrains are noisy, but Pull the valve covers off and take a look to make sure all your pushrods/valvetrain are in tact man... Or take it to the dealer for them to look over it just incase. Only a few seconds can check a potentially serious problem.

Well of course evidently his is allready taking it to a couple of good technicians for looking at.
but on the same hand, if you have a broken valve spring or a broken push rod, you are more than likely gonna have a miss or at least have a very rough idle.
with a broken pushrod it will not open the valve in 90% of the cases and cause a missfire and rough idle.
with a bent pushrod the valve will not open accordingly and cause a rough enough idle to think you have a bad plug or missfire
If your spring is broken then the valve in most cases will be open , hit the piston, and you will have a loud knocking noise, hence problem, eventuall piston pop.
Also in most cases with a broken spring the keeper will work its way loose if driven long enough and drop the valve down on top of the piston.

Basically the only thing he probably has is his rocker arms need adjusting at the worst, other than that 0w-40 is totally stupid to run in a 500 cid engine, causes major vavle train noise.
goin to a 15w40 is def not going to hurt our engines and I dont believe he stated what weight he ran , how long between oil changes, what brand he used, how hard he drove it, or if it even idled differently.
so yes changing to a thicker oil in most cases in a hot climate like ga has had the past three weeks will not hurt the motor hence my evaluation
WTF?:p

Stinker said:
Well of course evidently his is allready taking it to a couple of good technicians for looking at.
but on the same hand, if you have a broken valve spring or a broken push rod, you are more than likely gonna have a miss or at least have a very rough idle.
with a broken pushrod it will not open the valve in 90% of the cases and cause a missfire and rough idle.
with a bent pushrod the valve will not open accordingly and cause a rough enough idle to think you have a bad plug or missfire
If your spring is broken then the valve in most cases will be open , hit the piston, and you will have a loud knocking noise, hence problem, eventuall piston pop.
Also in most cases with a broken spring the keeper will work its way loose if driven long enough and drop the valve down on top of the piston.

Basically the only thing he probably has is his rocker arms need adjusting at the worst, other than that 0w-40 is totally stupid to run in a 500 cid engine, causes major vavle train noise.
goin to a 15w40 is def not going to hurt our engines and I dont believe he stated what weight he ran , how long between oil changes, what brand he used, how hard he drove it, or if it even idled differently.
so yes changing to a thicker oil in most cases in a hot climate like ga has had the past three weeks will not hurt the motor hence my evaluation

As stated in his first post, ha ALREADY had them look at it and it appears to be a bend pushrod or something of that sort; he needs to have them OPEN the valve-train area up and check it since the tech already noticed something louder then normal. Thicker oil is not going to fix a problem (if there is one) at this point. Bent would be the worst case...I highly doubt he 'snapped' a pushrod ;)

-Red

Stinker said:

geez...someone sure is acting cocky since he ran that 11xx...:D :D :D

Rotella makes a good 15w/40, also a syn 5w/40. They are both cheaper than Mobil 0w-40. If you have ever had an oil change at Roe, that's what you got too.

Can't hurt to change your push rods. Forged ones about 180. Length stock, -7.65". You can take a look at your rocker arms then.

Our valvetrain is louder than normal vehicles. Why be normal? You have to ask yourself, "What would Mikey do?"

oil?

So, Stink you're recommending we go from the 0/40 Mobile 1 that is like $7.00 a qt to a 15/40?

Perry

bone my pushrods were 7.690 supposed to be 3 diferent lengths as far as pushrods go thats what i was told anyway.

eddie102870 said:
bone my pushrods were 7.690 supposed to be 3 diferent lengths as far as pushrods go thats what i was told anyway.

You may want to talk to Dan again. He took them to another shop to have them measured.

BTW, Dan has a new set of 7.7 forged pushrods if anyone needs them.

one bent pushrod or broken spring will not make it idle rough at all. in fact, you can pull all 5 fuel injector wires from one bank of the motor and it will run exactly the same.

some people have driven around on 8 or 9 cylinders without knowing. it's really hard to tell on these engines.

AWDisuzu said:
one bent pushrod or broken spring will not make it idle rough at all. in fact, you can pull all 5 fuel injector wires from one bank of the motor and it will run exactly the same.

some people have driven around on 8 or 9 cylinders without knowing. it's really hard to tell on these engines.

if you are "half" a mechanic you can tell, and actually any idiot should be able to tell, if ya cant tell ......well.......:confused:

Stinker said:
if you are "half" a mechanic you can tell, and actually any idiot should be able to tell, if ya cant tell ......well.......:confused:
Damn Stinker, Thats kinda brutal. Some of us (me) Do not know a lot about motors, But like to drive a nice truck.WTF.:dontknow:

J.R.

JRSVIPR said:
Damn Stinker, Thats kinda brutal. Some of us (me) Do not know a lot about motors, But like to drive a nice truck.WTF.:dontknow:

J.R.

not meaning it that way bro, sorry, just saying if one should notice if you have something broken in the engine, and notice a rough idle.

My apologies,:( it was not intended in that way

Stinker said:
not meaning it that way bro, sorry, just saying if one should notice if you have something broken in the engine, and notice a rough idle.

My apologies,:( it was not intended in that way
Cool, Thanks for the clarification. (Peace bro):p

J.R.

Latest posts

Support Us

Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Back