Bent pushrods?

Not taking sides here....but....the #9 sparkplug wire on mine came off and the idle was rough and noticable.....very noticable....:dontknow:

It is quite easy for me to tell if I have a cyl that is not firing properly.

A dropped cyl can be felt and heard very easily by some. There are others that do not have at ability to pick this up.

The folks that cannot tell this are in a group that I personally cannot understand. This might be beacuse I have had hotrods and been in the engine and fuel induction business my entire life.
I have seen many that came into the shop and did not realize that their engine had a cyl miss.

Back to the topic;

The valve train on the gen 3 motor is noisy as are the fuel injectors. I run 15W50 Mobile 1 and that quiets down the valve train noise considerably.

Dodge uses a very fast, high bleed down lifter, on the gen 3. This in effect takes some of the effective duration and overlap out of the cam timing at low speeds. This results in lower emmisions output at idle. This also makes the valve train noisy at idle
Hydraulic lifters are classified into 5 catagories by the bleed rate. A hydraulic roller lifter, is still a hydraulic lifter.

There is a lifter called a Rhodes that has been on the market for about 20 years. This is a fast bleed lifter that is supposed to allow you to run a "big" cam without the drawbacks of a big cam at low speeds. I tried them in 2 different motors that I built, 1 a SBC and the other a BBC. The results were dismal, I replaced them with a set of "tight" antipump up lifters within a few thousand miles. I had many customer cars that I tuned and they just did not make the HP they should. We replaced the fast bleed down lifters and motor came to life and then it ran like it should.

A heavier oil will keep the lifters on the Gen 3 motor from bleeding down so fast ( fast bleed down takes lift and duration away from the cam). And it will offer the motor the cushion that will keep it alive.

The down side is that over the life of the vehicle you will use 3 more gallons of fuel beacuse the heavier oil reduces mileage by a very small amount.

The up side is that you will get a little better performance, it will be a little quieter at idle, and your motor will last much longer.

thanks guys for all the info. I know engines and have been around and dragraced most of my life and have also built many engines and so on, but this is the first V-10 i've fooled with. give me a v8 and i'm at home! i know these are little like v8 motors but since the price tag is so high i just wanted some extra opinions. i think they put mobile 1 5w 30. i wasn't there nor called to see what i wanted. i usually drive easy unless a unlucky ricer pulls up against me.
thanks again for the info. you guys have been a real help.

So, using a heavier weight oil will not have any negative affects on the performance or longevity of the engine (15W50)??

So why does Dodge recommend different?:dontknow: Wouldn't the engineers have already figured out what the best was???

I know this thread is WAY old, but just got my truck and realized how noisy the valve train is once it warms up . . . . . . . the ticking isn't as bad as my old Sierra C3 though! :burnout:

thanks in advance!

OEM recommendations are made with the length of the warranty as a major factor, not necessarily the long term viability of the vehicle.

Your performance environment is much more of a factor.

Warm climates, dusty conditions, type of use are all factors that go into the type of oil and lubricants you use.

THEDAV said:
So, using a heavier weight oil will not have any negative affects on the performance or longevity of the engine (15W50)??

So why does Dodge recommend different?:dontknow: Wouldn't the engineers have already figured out what the best was???

I know this thread is WAY old, but just got my truck and realized how noisy the valve train is once it warms up . . . . . . . the ticking isn't as bad as my old Sierra C3 though! :burnout:

thanks in advance!
i run 15 50 mobil 1 and motor is still solid and quiet after 52k miles.. Motor used to tick loudly when i ran the rec grade

Cool. I will do an oil change in the next couple days and post my findings - I hope it works and my report will be useful to someone else.

If any other members have anything to add (especially if you are a technician, engineer, etc) it would be much appreciated!

Thanks!
:D

I am due for an oil change and live in warm GA sooo after two of the big hitters (stink and jack) who's opinion I value said go 15w 50 im going 15w 50

ya my motor had 9000 on it i thought i heard a little ticking. changed the oil no big deal there. next thing i know theres a little smoke. then some louder ticking. take the valve covers off everything looked good. take the spark plugs out not so good. scoped the nastiest looking piston ive ever had. broke the piston down to that pos shallow piston ring. check it out good man is my advice

THEDAV said:

thanks in advance!

I changed my oil to the 15w50, and the engine IS quieter, not exactly purring, but it doesn't sound like a time bomb anymore!

Oh, and my tech showed me where my oil cooler lines were leaking . . . . . imagine that!:p

I guess I know what my 1st mod will be!:nurse:

Thanks for all the advice and info gentlemen.:shakehands:

Latest posts

Support Us

Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Back