Big problem with new support bearing

Newfie-SRT-10

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So I installed a new venter support bearing on my driveshaft and now it's having issues. Same as the reason I changed it.

It seems like the shaft is pushing toward the rear of the truck causing the bearing to push up the shaft and the metal bracket hits the big part of the shaft making bad noises

You pressed the bearing on correct? Not cockeyed? Is mount bracket reversible where it could be put on backwards? Been awhile since I've messed those shafts.

So I installed a new venter support bearing on my driveshaft and now it's having issues. Same as the reason I changed it.

It seems like the shaft is pushing toward the rear of the truck causing the bearing to push up the shaft and the metal bracket hits the big part of the shaft making bad noises

The U shape mounting bracket for venter bearing is hitting the driveshaft. I tried everything even flipped the bracket around and the shaft is still pushing toward the rear of the truck causing the bracket to rub on driveshaft

That is before installed on truck. The right side of bracket in pic is rubbing on the driveshaft. If I loosen the bolts and leave it the rubbing goes away but I think only because driveshaft is pushing everything and it can move freely

Installed correctly. Changed bracket around after installed and It didn't help. There is another post I don't know why it is posted twice :S

Installed pics would help more honestly. Sounds like bearing isn't on far enough or too far? Is front part of shaft going into tranny deep enough?

Installed pics would help more honestly. Sounds like bearing isn't on far enough or too far? Is front part of shaft going into tranny deep enough?

I will take more pictures tomorrow. I pressed it on to same place the old one was. I may try to back it off half inch see if that fixes it. It's in tranny correct.

The sound is only there when I back off the throttle. Under load it's fine. This all started after some full throttle pulls. Wondering if I have something else wrong

What are the reasons for the driveshaft to be splined together in the middle? Why not bolted? Are they supposed to stretch and contract under the boot? I think mine may be stuck I had to tap it together. There were no marks on it so u just lined up the u joints. But I think the splines may be stuck.

I think tge bearing is too close to the shaft from pics and your explanation. That 1/2" makes a difference. I don't think you've messed anything up bud :)

What are the reasons for the driveshaft to be splined together in the middle? Why not bolted? Are they supposed to stretch and contract under the boot? I think mine may be stuck I had to tap it together. There were no marks on it so u just lined up the u joints. But I think the splines may be stuck.

Yes the shaft move in and out if each other bud. Just as it does inside tranny. Thinking back on it I do believe there is one spline that's barely wider than the rest. Hope you didn't force the two pieces together when you "tapped" it. You may have found your prob.

Yes the shaft move in and out if each other bud. Just as it does inside tranny. Thinking back on it I do believe there is one spline that's barely wider than the rest. Hope you didn't force the two pieces together when you "tapped" it. You may have found your prob.

I had to beat it apart when split the driveshaft. I notice on the female end (rear shaft) that there is one wide spline like 2 wide but no matching one on the male side.

I'm going to try and pull it all apart again the rubber around the bearing is now touching the front driveshaft so it has shifted on it's own. I'll try and get it back without damaging the rubber if possible.

It seems the shaft is pushing back under torque and no coming back out of the slip joint so it is probably sticking in causing this problem.

The rubber boot was damaged and water got in there but the spline is coated in plastic so it shouldn't be from rust and I was using it for about 1000km till this happened.

If I can't get it fixed today it's going in the junk pile beside my garage and I'm ordering a one piece shaft!

Ok, I'm sure you somehow have the splines mismatched. There's a matching flat spot to match the notched shaft. They are hard to tell apart but its coming back to me now. Haha

I destroyed my 1/2 shaft by trying to reinstall when I did my 6-speed swap.

I ended up getting a 1 piece aluminum shaft and am COMPLETELY glad that I did. Weighs 1/2 as much as the stock steel shaft.

Ok, I'm sure you somehow have the splines mismatched. There's a matching flat spot to match the notched shaft. They are hard to tell apart but its coming back to me now. Haha

Ok so had it all apart again and now I have the splines moving freely in and out. Put it back together. Same problem.

Latest posts

Support Us

Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Back