Blew up TBSS transmission

Airbound

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well as you guys know I sold the SRT 10 QC in search of a RC with low miles. I am still looking for the right truck and am in no rush because I want the right deal. Anyway, I have been driving my TBSS. Well this sat I did routine service to it at the 84K mark a bit early before the 100k because it did not have the tranny fluid changed ever. I bought it at 60K and assumed it had been done but upon taking it over and checking records and fluid it hadent. So i changed the tranny fluid, rear dif fluid, oil, and cleaned MAF sensor. I took it off the lift dorve it immediatley knew soemthign was wrong because it felt like it had a heavy stall converter and was hard to get moving. I drove it a qtr mile and engine light came on....FU#####, I thought. I took it down the street to have codes read and sure enough they were tranny sylanoid codes. while drving it, it would not shift into fourth and also would not down shift at all when put under a load. I took it to AAMCO and they diagnosed it and here we are, Im getting the tranny rebuilt. They are taking it apart right now and going to find the cause of failure, but they said more than likely the fluid was what was holding the clutch and sunbelts together and when the new fluid got in many things just gave up. I thought this was a bad nightmare because I have changed tons tranny filters and fluid and never had this or heard of this happening. I have been researching it and yup, it does happen with high mileage tranny's that have not had the fluid changed, more so usually when you flush it, but sometimes when you change it.

So the good news is that its under warranty, bad news is I dont have rental car and it is goign to take 2-5 days to get done. The warranty expires at 100k so depending on how you look at the situation this was good.

Miss my SRT 10 but not the gas mileage lol...just though i would share and get your guys thought and get beat up on for selling SRT..I know.

seen it several times over the years.

good on the warranty:rock:

bad on the time frame:(

Honestly it sounds to me the fluid didn't get circulated through tranny all the way yet or was low on fluid. To work fine, swap fluid, then immediately have issues leads me to think it wasnt full of fluid yet.:burnout:

Bet you broke or cracked a shift solenoid when you put the pan back on.

you have seen same thing happen over the years?

yep.

drive it in, change fluid & filter, if possibile drain the converter.

fill it back up, run through the gears, check fluid level &.............

nothing:confused:

this has been on never been changed to been a long time since the last change.

seems like its been all GM trannies, powerglides, th350 & th400's

yep.

drive it in, change fluid & filter, if possibile drain the converter.

fill it back up, run through the gears, check fluid level &.............

nothing:confused:

this has been on never been changed to been a long time since the last change.

seems like its been all GM trannies, powerglides, th350 & th400's
thats spot on with what happened.

Latest posts

Support Us

Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Back