Bought me some Gibson shorty headers ceramic coated!

raymondwebb

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Mostly for looks with a little extra power and fuel economy to boot! Will take pics after install

Yea I got coated and I love em. They look great and make my truck sound better plus a lil more pep in the pedal never hurts

Did your headers come with heat wrap for the steering shaft and if not did you wrap yours and with what. Also I called them to ask if the wrap was supposed to be supplied with the headers like it say in their directions but he didnt know said he would call back but hasnt so far. When I was on the phone with him he said that the torque specs where wrong to and not to use them, said that I should use factory torque specs, any info sure would help, thanx.:dontknow:

Did your headers come with heat wrap for the steering shaft and if not did you wrap yours and with what. Also I called them to ask if the wrap was supposed to be supplied with the headers like it say in their directions but he didnt know said he would call back but hasnt so far. When I was on the phone with him he said that the torque specs where wrong to and not to use them, said that I should use factory torque specs, any info sure would help, thanx.:dontknow:

Torqued mine to 50 also were they are ceramic no heat wrap is necessary just make sure plug wires are outta the way and coolant hoses on passenger side are zip tied as far away as you can....on the other hand if yours aren't ceramic you will have heat problems

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1,001.8 KB · Views: 364
Last edited:
I did get the coated ones so thats good, and damm they look nice:drool: Cant wait to get mine on and other parts and its off to the dyno. So you torqued yours to 50 fbls and the guy on the phone said the 34 fbls in the directions would tare the studs out of the heads, what is factory then?

I did get the coated ones so thats good, and damm they look nice:drool: Cant wait to get mine on and other parts and its off to the dyno. So you torqued yours to 50 fbls and the guy on the phone said the 34 fbls in the directions would tare the studs out of the heads, what is factory then?

My bad I meant to put 40 pretty sure stockers were torqued to 35 but I could be wrong. Just remember you're going from metal gaskets to regular ones

So you torqued yours to 50 fbls and the guy on the phone said the 34 fbls in the directions would tare the studs out of the heads, what is factory then?

Factory torque for exhaust manifolds is 23 nm or 200 in lbs

Thanks big man. Hoping you put the smack down on that gen 1 lightning one of the other members have :burnout:

Oh brother! :rolleyes: I wonder who your talking about raymond? :p

I'm going to the track on April 20th with the big bad turbo truck so I will report back!

182002_552623384751798_2103681922_n.jpg

My bad I meant to put 40 pretty sure stockers were torqued to 35 but I could be wrong. Just remember you're going from metal gaskets to regular ones

They look great!
You used the gaskets that came with the headers. ugh..
I thought they were garbage, so I didn't even bother with them.. I went to the dealership and ordered some OEM metal ones.. I felt it was nice insurance not to have to do the job twice.. I hope they hold up for you..

I went back to check my bolts after several heat cycles (maybe 10-12 drives) and a couple of the bolts had loosened just a bit.. You may want to recheck them just for the hell of it to make sure..

They look great!
You used the gaskets that came with the headers. ugh..
I thought they were garbage, so I didn't even bother with them.. I went to the dealership and ordered some OEM metal ones.. I felt it was nice insurance not to have to do the job twice.. I hope they hold up for you..

I went back to check my bolts after several heat cycles (maybe 10-12 drives) and a couple of the bolts had loosened just a bit.. You may want to recheck them just for the hell of it to make sure..

Yea I used the provided gaskets with high temp silicone that it calls for. I have no leaks now but I've only drove her 50miles since installing. Taking her to the track on April 4th to see where I'm at then putting 150 shot on her. If I have problems with the gaskets I will surely let people know. I bet I saved 30lbs getting rid of them manifolds!

Yea I used the provided gaskets with high temp silicone that it calls for. I have no leaks now but I've only drove her 50miles since installing. Taking her to the track on April 4th to see where I'm at then putting 150 shot on her. If I have problems with the gaskets I will surely let people know. I bet I saved 30lbs getting rid of them manifolds!

The headers look great! What are the specs on your cam?

Latest posts

Support Us

Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Back