Bulge in tire sidewall

ottoman

Reaction score
I have a small golf ball size bulge in the sidewall of my right rear tire. Have been driving on it for a while now (its my daily ride) but I am wondering whether I should bite the bullet and get two new tires or is it okay to keep going but avoid getting the tire too worked-up with high speed driving. I presume this cannot be repaired.

ottoman said:
I have a small golf ball size bulge in the sidewall of my right rear tire. Have been driving on it for a while now (its my daily ride) but I am wondering whether I should bite the bullet and get two new tires or is it okay to keep going but avoid getting the tire too worked-up with high speed driving. I presume this cannot be repaired.
Get new tires. It is not worth an incident. Trust me, better safe than sorry!

Be glad you don't have a golf ball sized bulge in your pants ;) :p

Definatley get it repaired asap. Good news is it should be covered under the Pirellie warranty! Check your paperwork!

Wifey said:
Get new tires. It is not worth an incident. Trust me, better safe than sorry!

Be glad you don't have a golf ball sized bulge in your pants ;) :p

At my age any sized bluge would be welcomed...

Before you get new tires...video tape one incredible burn-out, no speed, just sublimation for us all to enjoy...:burnout: :burnout: :burnout:

Depending on how it got there, it might be warranty.

If not, then videotape the burn-out for us. :D

One of my rear tires had 2 of them, but I gave that tire to Patrick hehehehe. I did put a couple of thousand miles on it with the bulges though before that. The smart thing would be to swap it, do as I say not as I do LOL.

Waranty did not cover it

Thanks for the replies and confirming the sensible thing to do is change it out. I have probably already done 1000 miles on it as is but it is just a ticking bomb ...
I actually went to the dealership when it first appeared to have them check it on warranty, they called Pirelli and apparently it is not covered (not sure if it is the damage, or the 11,000+ miles on the tire).

Any tips for doing safe burnouts with the auto QC? I am worried about loading up the auto with the brake, its my daily ride and I don't want a major repair or earlier service life.

OCBob said:
One of my rear tires had 2 of them, but I gave that tire to Patrick hehehehe. I did put a couple of thousand miles on it with the bulges though before that. The smart thing would be to swap it, do as I say not as I do LOL.

Yup, tires were changed within 100 miles...Dont risk it :eek:

I have the same issue on the passenger front. If memory serves, it indicates a failure in the belting. I'm not sure if the failure can cascade or not. It definately cannot be repaired.

Here's a link to the Pirelli warranty:
http://www.us.pirelli.com/en_US/tyres/car_suv/utility_services/warranty/warranty_us.jhtml?s1=4400002&s2=5700003&s3=7200002&s4=-1

TireRack is selling them for $182 right now:

http://www.vtcoa.com/forums/showthread.php?t=313http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires...cleSearch=true&partnum=04WR2SCOR0AXL&i1_Qty=4

Replace the damn tires..............Go to the Dodge dealer or Pirelli authorized dealer.

These tires should be covered under warranty from Pirelli.......

SD

Does anyone have a decent ride without shuddering on the stock tires? I've traded cars for less problems.

Last edited:
Dude if you look in the old posts there was a rash of SRTs with wheels that were out of round that caused the same problem. Maybe someone else here can comment?

The bulge in the tire sidewall is caused by the radial cables in the sidewall being broken. THis usually occurs when the tire and wheel hit a pot hole. THe tire becomes compressed and when the sidewall bounces back due to air pressure the cable in that spot snaps. THere is no repair for it. Don't take a chance and get it replaced ASAP.

Thanks for the link

Thanks for the link, just got the tires delivered today. Ordered online ... tire rack called within hours to double check I was ordering the right tires as the $182 tires are not OEM for the QC but the RC. Apparently the QC comes with 1lb heavier version of the tire, there is a small QC stamp on sidewall and a label " heavy load" or something similar. I called my dealership and they said the heavier tire is only recommended if you do major hauling or towing, if not you can get the cheaper RC tires. I only haul a dirt bike so cheaper lighter tires :)

i had a fight with pirelli last year over this...in the end they wouldnt pay!!ah well, at least i tried!!

I had the local Pirelli dealer have a look at my tire today. He said that it was not a slipped belt, but rather an 'impact' bulge caused by... drum roll please... an impact (such as hitting a pot hole). The belting of the side wall is weakened as a result, which causes the bulge.

I was told it is not uncommon for large, low-profile tires. The dealer said that it was a 'big time' hazard and was willing to sell me one for a little under $400 (yes, for one tire). After I LOL'd and left, I prompted ordered from Tire Rack ($203.69 shipped).

ottoman said:
Thanks for the link, just got the tires delivered today. Ordered online ... tire rack called within hours to double check I was ordering the right tires as the $182 tires are not OEM for the QC but the RC. Apparently the QC comes with 1lb heavier version of the tire, there is a small QC stamp on sidewall and a label " heavy load" or something similar. I called my dealership and they said the heavier tire is only recommended if you do major hauling or towing, if not you can get the cheaper RC tires. I only haul a dirt bike so cheaper lighter tires :)
Are they any good. I wouldn't buy pirelli's unless they have fix their problems.:mad:

Ultra-low profile tires and especially on long wheel base vehicles (RR usually) are very susceptible to this type of damage. It's known as a pinch break. It is caused by the sidewall getting pinched between a curb (usually) and the rim. When the tire is pulled off the rim you can look inside the tire and see the tell-tale proof of two cuts, usually a couple inches apart, that run perpendicular to the cords.

It also happens on BMW M3 type vehicles very frequently when the driver hits a pot hole at speed. On this type of thinner wheel the wheel will usually be bent at the same spot....a dead giveaway. And no you don't always remember it happening because it may take a few days for you to notice. It is a very dangerous condition that severely weakens the sidewall of the tire. It can not be repaired.

Sometimes if you are nice and the tire is almost new the mfg. will give you a "customer concession" of 50% off normal retail.

Back