bumpsteer kit got delivered

bmxam962

Full Access Member
Reaction score
For all those wondering I got mine today. The quality is great and could not ask for more. Thanks to Tony and Paul for putting this together as it will make a difference.

For all those wondering I got mine today. The quality is great and could not ask for more. Thanks to Tony and Paul for putting this together as it will make a difference.

My dumb, what is a "bumpsteer kit"???? :dontknow:

Steer away from bumping other trucks as you pass? :dontknow:

UIH,

Got mine today as well. Things look nice Mang,

IMG_0924.jpg

IMG_0925.jpg

wonderin the samethang:dontknow::dontknow:

show looks purdy:rock::rock::rock:

Last edited:
My dumb, what is a "bumpsteer kit"???? :dontknow:

Steer away from bumping other trucks as you pass? :dontknow:

if i understand, bump steer is when ya hit a chug hole or bump & that causes the truck to steer its self with no input from the driver.

most common on a lowered truck, but can show up on a stocker

if i understand, bump steer is when ya hit a chug hole or bump & that causes the truck to steer its self with no input from the driver.

most common on a lowered truck, but can show up on a stocker

Thanks man, I used to hit the pot hole (that's what we call them in Texas) but now drive fast enough that the tire do not have time to down into the hole so not to worry. :rock:

very simply, if the angle of the tie rod isn't level when the tire hits a bump it goes upward, with the tie rod at an angle, it pulls the toe in, or the tire inward dramatically, hence the steering gets complicated, the tire will go where it wants to go, hence bump steer

the correct angle is close to level, that way when the tire moves upward or downward, the toe in stays even

toe in is the distance from tire to tire front to back, in other words toed in means the front of the tires are closer than the rear, wearing the outside of the tire, toe out reverse

Thanks man, I used to hit the pot hole (that's what we call them in Texas) but now drive fast enough that the tire do not have time to down into the hole so not to worry. :rock:

FYI, Texas born & raised here:rock::rock::rock:

thats what the "old farts" called them when i was a young whipper snapper. just comes out evey now & then, lol.

very simply, if the angle of the tie rod isn't level when the tire hits a bump it goes upward, with the tie rod at an angle, it pulls the toe in, or the tire inward dramatically, hence the steering gets complicated, the tire will go where it wants to go, hence bump steer

the correct angle is close to level, that way when the tire moves upward or downward, the toe in stays even

toe in is the distance from tire to tire front to back, in other words toed in means the front of the tires are closer than the rear, wearing the outside of the tire, toe out reverse

Thank you sir. Much appreciated. Some of us ain't too bright. :dontknow:

I'm right at 58K miles on the front tires so guess I ain't pot holing and all angles are pretty good. :rock:

Thank you sir. Much appreciated. Some of us ain't too bright. :dontknow:

I'm right at 58K miles on the front tires so guess I ain't pot holing and all angles are pretty good. :rock:

yessir, if you aren't lowered you should be super fine sir

there be bump steer kit here:rock::rock::rock::D

photos don't do it justice:rock:

I'm hesitant to post this but, sorry I have a few questions..

Now that I have finally seen some pics of this kit.. I have some concerns.. By no means am I intending this as a flame or bash.. I'm merely wanting info
Please correct me if Im mistaken..:)

I understand full well what bumpsteer is and the cause of it.. I also understand that lowering just about anything with springs or drop LCAs and not poperly designed drop spindles causes undesired tie rod angles..

My main concern is this heim joint.. Since its exposed to the elements unlike a booted ball joint how long before they wear out? 15-20k miles? Granted conditions will vary greatly but its still exposed..

What brand of heims are these? What are they rated at?

What if they fail? Is there a washer or something that will catch the joint as it falls off the ball? Is the nut big enough to catch it?

Different scenario but, I also own and am around a lot of built Jeeps and 4x4s and I see these types of joints often, I have also seen what happens when they aren't captured or caught with a simple washer and then fail when used as a main joint, like steering and 4 links.

One guys front 4 link gave way on his wrangler setting high on 38s and he flipped his rig because a joint failed w/o warning on the pan hard bar.. A captured end or atleast a proper sized washer could have prevented his misfortune..

Are these sold with an "off road use" only warning.. In most states I don't believe these will pass a safety inspection being used in a steering application..

Being relocated is there any chance of the tierods now hitting the LCA??

Because they are relocated and the geometry has now been changed in relation to the upper an lower control arms has it changed the arc of the tie rod enough it could cause more bump steer? I have not read of any testing of these yet.. Maybe I have missed it..

My reasoning is, just because its level to the ground that doesn't make the angles correct..
Left stock (while lowered) its causing toe out with the tie rods aiming upward..
Seems to me this will still cause toe in because of the arc change..
The upper and lower control arms are different lengths so the camber isn't greatly effected during suspension cycle and the tierods are placed accordingly along with proper caster effecting steering also....
Has anyone run these yet to confirm an improvement?

Last edited:
I'm hesitant to post this but, sorry I have a few questions..

Now that I have finally seen some pics of this kit.. I have some concerns.. By no means am I intending this as a flame or bash.. I'm merely wanting info
Please correct me if Im mistaken..:)

I understand full well what bumpsteer is and the cause of it.. I also understand that lowering just about anything with springs or drop LCAs and not poperly designed drop spindles causes undesired tie rod angles..

My main concern is this heim joint.. Since its exposed to the elements unlike a booted ball joint how long before they wear out? 15-20k miles? Granted conditions will vary greatly but its still exposed..

What brand of heims are these? What are they rated at?

What if they fail? Is there a washer or something that will catch the joint as it falls off the ball? Is the nut big enough to catch it?

Different scenario but, I also own and am around a lot of built Jeeps and 4x4s and I see these types of joints often, I have also seen what happens when they aren't captured or caught with a simple washer and then fail when used as a main joint, like steering and 4 links.

One guys front 4 link gave way on his wrangler setting high on 38s and he flipped his rig because a joint failed w/o warning on the pan hard bar.. A captured end or atleast a proper sized washer could have prevented his misfortune..

Are these sold with an "off road use" only warning.. In most states I don't believe these will pass a safety inspection being used in a steering application..

Being relocated is there any chance of the tierods now hitting the LCA??

Because they are relocated and the geometry has now been changed in relation to the upper an lower control arms has it changed the arc of the tie rod enough it could cause more bump steer? I have not read of any testing of these yet.. Maybe I have missed it..

My reasoning is, just because its level to the ground that doesn't make the angles correct..
Left stock (while lowered) its causing toe out with the tie rods aiming upward..
Seems to me this will still cause toe in because of the arc change..
The upper and lower control arms are different lengths so the camber isn't greatly effected during suspension cycle and the tierods are placed accordingly along with proper caster effecting steering also....
Has anyone run these yet to confirm an improvement?

Paul at razors edge designed them , I will forward the questions to him sir

I am just the distributor

Paul at razors edge designed them , I will forward the questions to him sir

I am just the distributor

Thanks Tony, but has no one tested these on the streets yet on our trucks?
I hate to say this, I have seen quality heim joints fail w/o warning.. If they aren't captured in some way, the results can be catastrophic depending on the joints application.. In this case steering..

The average consumer is unaware of what the difference in heim and ball joints even are.. Car manufacturers use booted ball joints for a reason.. Seems there should at the very least be a warning on these..

Damn it, I hate sounding like a dick...

Latest posts

Support Us

Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Back