Buy car overseas question

rumble

Reaction score
HI! Just wonder if there is sombody ho have sell a car overseas im live in sweden and interested to buy a car in the usa but i have no clue to work this out:dontknow: . My question is.Safe payment, chipping overseas, freight companys in usa.Hope you understand my problem.Thanks Rumble.

When I purchased mine (I'm from New Zealand) I went through the process below:

1) I searched for my ideal truck.
2) Contacted the owner in Lincoln, Nebraska. Talked ballpark figures.
3) Contacted Kiwi Shipping (a friend Steve) based in LA to view the truck.
4) He inspected, took photos, made sure it's legit then flew back to LA.
5) I got the photos and run down and it was now in my court again.
6) Happy with the truck I called the owner, made a deal.
7) I paid Kiwi Shipping the money and they paid the owner on my behalf.
8) Once the owner was happy and had cleared funds I booked a date to collect on behalf of Kiwi Shipping.
9) Kiwi Shipping got the OK, sent a truck to Nebraska and trucked it back to LA wharf.
10) The truck was shipped to me in NZ over the space of 1-2 months (delays etc).

It's not too hard and being as though I'm around 8,000 miles away, I think I done well lol. First bet would be to find an international shipper (preferably based in the USA) you feel comfortable with. Do your homework (Google their name) etc etc. If I were you I'd try my best to find someone from Sweden who may have set up a shipping company there. Tell them what you are doing and then search for a vehicle close to them.

This will save you money on them checking it out and transporting it back to the wharf. Then follow what I did above. Be sure to have someone reputable view the car. NEVER buy sight unseen, EVER. Heck, if you can't find a shipper who'll travel to inspect, post a thread here with the location and someone might be able to go look at it for you if you pay for their time and gas. If you need any specifics answered, just let me know and I will try to help.

Cheers,
Carl

At the NZ wharf waiting to get taken to the RHD conversion shop......
RHDConversion1.jpg

Filthy and neglected......... :(
RHDConversion2.jpg

Plenty of members here in every state that would help.

Carlwalski said:

8) Once the owner was happy and had cleared funds I booked a date to collect on behalf of Kiwi Shipping.
9) Kiwi Shipping got the OK, sent a truck to Nebraska and trucked it back to LA wharf.
10) The truck was shipped to me in NZ over the space of 1-2 months (delays etc).

It's not too hard and being as though I'm around 8,000 miles away, I think I done well lol. First bet would be to find an international shipper (preferably based in the USA) you feel comfortable with. Do your homework (Google their name) etc etc. If I were you I'd try my best to find someone from Sweden who may have set up a shipping company there. Tell them what you are doing and then search for a vehicle close to them.

This will save you money on them checking it out and transporting it back to the wharf. Then follow what I did above. Be sure to have someone reputable view the car. NEVER buy sight unseen, EVER. Heck, if you can't find a shipper who'll travel to inspect, post a thread here with the location and someone might be able to go look at it for you if you pay for their time and gas. If you need any specifics answered, just let me know and I will try to help.

Cheers,
Carl

RHDConversion1.jpg

RHDConversion2.jpg

Did you get a RHD conversion done then mate?

thewelshm

Carlwalski said:

Cheers,
Carl

RHDConversion1.jpg

RHDConversion2.jpg

thewelshm

THEWELSHM said:

thewelshm
Hi Welshm, not sure what you mean by "done then" but it (the RHD conversion) had to be done before the truck could be tested, VINed, have a WOf (Warrant of Fitness), registration etc. I purchased it, it was shipped to NZ, at the wharfs it was tested, cleaned/blasted, etc then it had to wait at the wharf until the RHD shop had caught up with their job list, this took 2 months alone to even get it to their shop. From the time I paid for my vehicle, delays on the US wharf, delays at the RHD conversion shop, etc I didn't get to see my truck in person for 8 months after payment. Good things take time. ;) You can see more with stacks of photos on my website below if you're curious. :)

http://www.carlwalski.com/Nightrunner2.html

:burnout:

Carlwalski said:
Hi Welshm, not sure what you mean by "done then" but it (the RHD conversion) had to be done before the truck could be tested, VINed, have a WOf (Warrant of Fitness), registration etc. I purchased it, it was shipped to NZ, at the wharfs it was tested, cleaned/blasted, etc then it had to wait at the wharf until the RHD shop had caught up with their job list, this took 2 months alone to even get it to their shop. From the time I paid for my vehicle, delays on the US wharf, delays at the RHD conversion shop, etc I didn't get to see my truck in person for 8 months after payment. Good things take time. ;) You can see more with stacks of photos on my website below if you're curious. :)

8 months is a long time to wait, I had the company I bought mine from store it for 4 months before I flew down to Texas and picked it up. And I thought that was a long time.

yellowfever#154 said:
8 months is a long time to wait, I had the company I bought mine from store it for 4 months before I flew down to Texas and picked it up. And I thought that was a long time.
It "should" have been around 4 months including the 1 month long professional RHD conversion but delays put everything back big time. The main one was at the LA wharf. Some Australian "gang associates" thought it'd be a good idea to ship around 100 stripped and stolen Harley Davidson's in different containers, trunks of cars along with numerous styles of drugs and other contraband back to Australian biker gangs. This meant around 1 month of delays as every container had to be searched by LEOs and authorities, etc. This then put the wharfs out in NZ (catch up) and also the RHD shop as they had half a dozen cars waiting to be done that were on the list before I booked mine waiting at the same LA wharfs as my truck. In the end it was well worth it. All I have to say is God Bless America for making these bad ass trucks. ;) One of the best vehicles I have ever driven and owned.

I LOVE IT. :)

Carlwalski said:

Holy shit Batram, you spent some $ getting that done? I didnt know you could get a RHD conversion done for these bad boys:dontknow:

thewelshm

RUMBLE,

you could also try and find a SRT-10 in Germany owned by an American and have them drive it up to Sweden for you. I have a SRT-10, I know of two others in my area. What color, year RC or QC are you looking for?

Thanks
Bo

Last edited:
viperhauler said:
yep...just ask santeen's wife:D :D

I wouldn't talk about her like that if I were you bro. She'll throw his AMEX card at you like a ninja star.:laugh:

best way,you let ship it to "Bremerhafen" and then you pick it up there and drive it home.

Bremerhafen is more near to you.

I live in Germany and my cars come over Rotterdam,its 3 hours for me to drive.

plenty of trucks for sale in europe if you look arround. less risky then overseas... unless you can buy from a vtcoa member :rock:
shipping isn't a big thing, pm if you need a few good addresses.
Pls check how the certification works in sweden, it's a pain in the ass in belgium, don't know the case in SWE.

Good luck with the search bud.

Latest posts

Support Us

Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Back