Buyer Beware

This transmission had a new tag from the rebuilder specifying this fluid
That would be a tough call. Follow the rebuilder instructions so as not to void THEIR warranty or go with what the manufacturer states when they aren't offering a warranty. Would be confusing to say the least

Not even close. After a week of talking every day i get nothing for another week. Everyone is wondering whats going on inside so 2 weeks after the trans failed, I removed 8 bolts to take the rear of the case off. All of those parts fell out. If you've ever disassembled a t56 you'll know thats the most basic thing you can do, like taking a transmission pan off and nothing should fall out.
After sharing the pics we talked for another 8 days then i was instantly ghosted for 3 weeks. This vehicle was my daily and after being down for over month i purchased another transmission.

I didn't "know" the fluid was an issue. It had a new tag on it stating emphatically that 80/90 gear oil be used, specifically "no synthetic ". I dont question a builders tag on a new item. My transmission was one of several that were found with the wrong tag.

Need more "cliff notes" ?
That clears things up!

I dont believe any trans is ever shipped with fluid in it. Tag from rebuilder specified type of fluid.

Yes we filled it.

I never "tore down" the transmission. I removed 8 bolts which hold the rear case on so we could see what the damage was. Similar to removing an automatic transmission pan.

We found out it was low after it left me stranded on the highway
Ok so you filled it , then it blew out .. the question is what and we’re did the fluid you filled it with go .. It had to have a leak pre destruction ! The amount of fluid would have been all over the under carriage , especially heavy gear oil compared to ATF-4 . But either way both would have made a mess and smoked off the exhaust . If it leaked why and where ! If it did leak the conclusion since you didn’t take anything apart pre booomb that the builder would most likely be a fault ! I can only assume by listening to one side of the story .. I also thin Dan should get involved and get to the bottom of the failure and try to resolve this problem !
Again what parts are needed , cost and is it rebuildable still !
Who was the builder ?

I'm trying to figure out how @Streetgliderx is involved? Not the seller, I think that was Dan, maybe the rebuilder?

Congrats, I’ll celebrate #45 this year. As said, what you and the Miss’s have accomplished is the lost art of true love
Your Mrs. is a keeper too! proofs in the cheesecake!! :cool:

Ok so you filled it , then it blew out .. the question is what and we’re did the fluid you filled it with go .. It had to have a leak pre destruction ! The amount of fluid would have been all over the under carriage , especially heavy gear oil compared to ATF-4 . But either way both would have made a mess and smoked off the exhaust . If it leaked why and where ! If it did leak the conclusion since you didn’t take anything apart pre booomb that the builder would most likely be a fault ! I can only assume by listening to one side of the story .. I also thin Dan should get involved and get to the bottom of the failure and try to resolve this problem !
Again what parts are needed , cost and is it rebuildable still !
Who was the builder ?
Underside of the truck was coated yes.
I did 400 miles the night before on ddesolate desert road. You dont see smoke at 120 mph. Literally.
the next morning i went to work and it failed.
Rockland said the case was cracked but i didn't see that so i cant confirm. It leaked 2 qts.

Not knowing and seeing or hearing both side of the argument there can not make a proper assessment of what happened . There are just to many Questions. The only resolve is to attempt to try again and work with all parties involved in the dispute and make the best attempts to keep it civil. Since I don’t know the actual chain of events in making the purchase or the rebuilding parties then it is only up to you and those parties to come to a civil and proper compromise to settle this .

Questions like why gear oil and why AFT 4 … My opinion is that both are lubricants and either or should and would have lubricated the gears . I’ll say I’m not familiar with the Manual transmissions internal working parts or a requirement using ATF-4 and I can only assume since gear oils have been used for this purpose for hundreds of years with no problems . The catastrophic failure appears to have been caused by lack of lubricant no matter what lubricant was used IMO !
A leak of some sort was obvious as you stated , Why did it loose oil , a bad seal ? A cracked case ? Before or after the install ? It does make one think that when installed and fluid added ,,, seals , cracked case etc would have shown some leakage pretty much immediately and as it lost more and more fluid , lack of lubricant and hauling ass at 120 mph for a 400 mile run was just the recipe to a catastrophic failure ! You would also think that you would have smelled some sort of oil burning as it burned off the exhaust. I’ll give you the benefit that at 120 mph and night time driving you probably didn’t notice any smoke !
Like I’ve stated , the only options are to make and continue to open a dialogue with Dan , the rebuilder to comprise! Without running the gamut you may or may not eat an expensive cluster phuc . Nothing will ever get solved without giving it your best and persistence. I just don’t see any benefits posting up on forums and slamming anyone whether you’re in the right or in the wrong . Others can not make a one sided to take one side or another !

Not knowing and seeing or hearing both side of the argument there can not make a proper assessment of what happened . There are just to many Questions. The only resolve is to attempt to try again and work with all parties involved in the dispute and make the best attempts to keep it civil. Since I don’t know the actual chain of events in making the purchase or the rebuilding parties then it is only up to you and those parties to come to a civil and proper compromise to settle this .

Questions like why gear oil and why AFT 4 … My opinion is that both are lubricants and either or should and would have lubricated the gears . I’ll say I’m not familiar with the Manual transmissions internal working parts or a requirement using ATF-4 and I can only assume since gear oils have been used for this purpose for hundreds of years with no problems . The catastrophic failure appears to have been caused by lack of lubricant no matter what lubricant was used IMO !
A leak of some sort was obvious as you stated , Why did it loose oil , a bad seal ? A cracked case ? Before or after the install ? It does make one think that when installed and fluid added ,,, seals , cracked case etc would have shown some leakage pretty much immediately and as it lost more and more fluid , lack of lubricant and hauling ass at 120 mph for a 400 mile run was just the recipe to a catastrophic failure ! You would also think that you would have smelled some sort of oil burning as it burned off the exhaust. I’ll give you the benefit that at 120 mph and night time driving you probably didn’t notice any smoke !
Like I’ve stated , the only options are to make and continue to open a dialogue with Dan , the rebuilder to comprise! Without running the gamut you may or may not eat an expensive cluster phuc . Nothing will ever get solved without giving it your best and persistence. I just don’t see any benefits posting up on forums and slamming anyone whether you’re in the right or in the wrong . Others can not make a one sided to take one side or another !
I was ghosted for over 3 weeks before i sent the trans to Rockland.
After i replaced the trans i posted, that was another couple of weeks.
At this point i could care less what the seller or builder say/want to do.
If people dont voice problems then everyone keeps thinking things are fine. Who knows if or how many others have been screwed because they didn't want to cause waves.
I'm sure people will still deal with them, their choice based on the facts.
In the 50-60s they used heavy gear oil. Modern manuals use much lighter fluid.
ATF4
royal purple synchromax
Syntorque
Etc
T56 lubrication is based on a spash system inside the trans, 80-90 gear oil doesn't splash.
If you get the chance compare the location of the main shaft, the fill hole and then remove the 8 bolts for the rear case - 5th/ 6th and reverse all sit higher than the main shaft, 1-4 gears, fluid fill hole.

Latest posts

Support Us

Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Back