CALTRACS

ok.

Installed the caltracs yesterday.

Nice looking.

One thing I noticed. Could not install the bar with the tires off. Had to lower the truck, install the tires and then tie in the bar.

Is that normal? The instructions say that they are supposed to be installed with the vehicle in the air.

Also, if I were to jack up the truck or put it on a lift- the bars HAVE TO BE REMOVED. Other wise the bar comes into contact with the lowest small leaf spring and all the weight of the rear end will be resting on the caltrac bar.

Is that normal??????

ok.

Installed the caltracs yesterday.

Nice looking.

One thing I noticed. Could not install the bar with the tires off. Had to lower the truck, install the tires and then tie in the bar.

Is that normal? The instructions say that they are supposed to be installed with the vehicle in the air.

Also, if I were to jack up the truck or put it on a lift- the bars HAVE TO BE REMOVED. Other wise the bar comes into contact with the lowest small leaf spring and all the weight of the rear end will be resting on the caltrac bar.

Is that normal??????

Doesn't sound normal
By any means. I'd post pics when you can.

Doesn't sound normal
By any means. I'd post pics when you can.

I called Tony.

It is normal actually.

Our OC trucks have that short leaf spring on the bottom and that is the one that comes into contact with the bar.

Tony said that unless I plan on towing a lot of weight with the truck- that particular leaf spring is not needed. He said I could remove it (which he usually recommends) or I can cut a few inches off of it- and that will give the rear suspension it needs to clear the bar.

I'll cut off a few inches.

if i need to jack my truck up , i put the jack under the rear axle (middle of differencial ?).
then the caltrack wont hit leaf.

As long as you know that the guy you were talking to is 1)a great guy 2)owner of last years TOTY 3)an experienced mechanic 4)just big enough to eat you for breakfast, we should all be fine.

One of those is right? Or is it all of them? :D

I'll take pics before and after for you.

I had to order some new- longer U bolts from Tony because when I lowered my truck I didn't anticipate that id need to use wedges so I cut the bottoms of the U bolts.

Now that I need to use wedges, the U bolts are not long enough.

Hope I don't have to do that with my 06 QC.

If you don't have a flip kit I think you'll be fine

Small tip...after 10 mins. of beating the snot out of the first bushing to try and remove it, I used an air chisel to on the second one to wedge the coil and after 3 whacks it popped right out. No drilling, torching, pressing, or freezing the replacement...it was very easy, hope this helps someone else

As long as you know that the guy you were talking to is 1)a great guy 2)owner of last years TOTY 3)an experienced mechanic 4)just big enough to eat you for breakfast, we should all be fine.

He wasn't talking to me but thanks man :p

image.jpg

Latest posts

Support Us

Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Back