can i program my transponder key my self?

perk_1405

Full Access Member
Reaction score
i had only one key when i got the truck and im in the process of adding a security system(5 0 bait is doing all the work) in my truck and the bypass mod. requires a second key. so i went to the dealer and got a chipped key cut but didnt have my truck there so they couldnt program it. is there any way to program the keys my self, some one here has to know.

tia
elliott

perk_1405 said:
i had only one key when i got the truck and im in the process of adding a security system(5 0 bait is doing all the work) in my truck and the bypass mod. requires a second key. so i went to the dealer and got a chipped key cut but didnt have my truck there so they couldnt program it. is there any way to program the keys my self, some one here has to know.

tia
elliott
Not to my knowledge,you will have to go to the dealership.:mad:

Got the owners manual? I thinks it's in there I'm not near mine right now.

If I remember right you just need to have one working key.

Here's what I found:

NOTE: WHEN ENTERING PROGRAM MODE USING FOB, ALL OTHER PROGRAMMED FOBS WILL BE ERASED AND YOU WILL HAVE TO REPROGRAM THEM FOR YOUR VEHICLE

1. ENTER YOUR TRUCK AND CLOSE ALL DOORS

2. PUT ON YOUR SEAT BELT SO THE SEAT BELT BUZZER DOES'T CONFUSE YOU WITH THE CHIMING YOU WANT TO HEAR

3. PLACE THE KEY IN THE IGNITION

4. TURN THE KEY TO THE ON POSITION BUT DO NOT START

5. PRESS AND HOLD THE UNLOCK BUTTON ON THE KEY FOB

6. HOLD THE UNLOCK BUTTON FOR 4 SEC. NOW ALSO HOLD THE PANIC BUTTON

7. RELEASE BOTH BUTTONS AND A SINGLE CHIME WILL BE HEARD THIS INDICATION THAT YOU HAVE SUCCESSFULLY ENTERED PROGRAM MODE. ALL FOBS THAT ARE TO BE PROGRAMMED MUST BE DONE SO WITHIN 30 SEC. OF WHEN THE CHIME WAS HEARD.

8. USING THE FOB TO BE PROGRAMMED PRESS AND RELEASE BOTH THE LOCK AND UNLOCK BUTTONS, SIMULTANEOUSLY.

9. A SINGLE CHIME WILL BE HEARD

10. WITHIN FOUR SECONDS OF HEARING THE CHIME PRESS AND RELEASE EITHER THE LOCK OR UNLOCK BUTTON ON THE FOB.

11. REPEAT STEPS 8 - 10 TO PROGRAM UP TO TWO ADDITIONAL FOBS.

12. YOUR TRUCK WILL REMAIN IN PROGRAM MODE UP TO 30 SEC FROM WHEN THE ORIGINAL CHIME WAS HEARD. AFTER 30 SEC. ALL PROGRAMMED FOBS FUNCTION NORMALLY.

:dontknow:

Stagethree said:
Here's what I found:

NOTE: WHEN ENTERING PROGRAM MODE USING FOB, ALL OTHER PROGRAMMED FOBS WILL BE ERASED AND YOU WILL HAVE TO REPROGRAM THEM FOR YOUR VEHICLE

1. ENTER YOUR TRUCK AND CLOSE ALL DOORS

2. PUT ON YOUR SEAT BELT SO THE SEAT BELT BUZZER DOES'T CONFUSE YOU WITH THE CHIMING YOU WANT TO HEAR

3. PLACE THE KEY IN THE IGNITION

4. TURN THE KEY TO THE ON POSITION BUT DO NOT START

5. PRESS AND HOLD THE UNLOCK BUTTON ON THE KEY FOB

6. HOLD THE UNLOCK BUTTON FOR 4 SEC. NOW ALSO HOLD THE PANIC BUTTON

7. RELEASE BOTH BUTTONS AND A SINGLE CHIME WILL BE HEARD THIS INDICATION THAT YOU HAVE SUCCESSFULLY ENTERED PROGRAM MODE. ALL FOBS THAT ARE TO BE PROGRAMMED MUST BE DONE SO WITHIN 30 SEC. OF WHEN THE CHIME WAS HEARD.

8. USING THE FOB TO BE PROGRAMMED PRESS AND RELEASE BOTH THE LOCK AND UNLOCK BUTTONS, SIMULTANEOUSLY.

9. A SINGLE CHIME WILL BE HEARD

10. WITHIN FOUR SECONDS OF HEARING THE CHIME PRESS AND RELEASE EITHER THE LOCK OR UNLOCK BUTTON ON THE FOB.

11. REPEAT STEPS 8 - 10 TO PROGRAM UP TO TWO ADDITIONAL FOBS.

12. YOUR TRUCK WILL REMAIN IN PROGRAM MODE UP TO 30 SEC FROM WHEN THE ORIGINAL CHIME WAS HEARD. AFTER 30 SEC. ALL PROGRAMMED FOBS FUNCTION NORMALLY.

:dontknow:

i think this is for the fobs..... i need to program keys. but thanks for trying.

Sorry......Yeah dealer.:(

From what I read you must have TWO working keys to program them yourself.

"...follow the self programming procedures in your owner's manual to add the keys to your vehicle.
If you do not have more than one original, your dealer will be happy to assist you."

Last edited:
59caddyhog said:
Is the key not just a key???

I thought once you unlocked the door and got in, the key was just a key.

Has it got something in it????
It has a chip in it. Without the chipped key it would start, But soon die.

YOU WILL NEED 2 VALID PROGRAMMED KEYS....

The Customer Learn programming method procedures are as follows:

1. Obtain the blank Sentry Key(s) that are to be programmed as valid keys for the vehicle. Cut the blank key(s) to match the ignition switch lock cylinder mechanical key codes.

2. Insert one of the two valid Sentry Keys into the ignition switch and turn the ignition switch to the On position.

3. After the ignition switch has been in the On position for longer than three seconds, but no more than fifteen seconds, cycle the ignition switch back to the Off position. Replace the first valid Sentry Key in the ignition switch lock cylinder with the second valid Sentry Key and turn the ignition switch back to the On position. The second valid Sentry Key must be inserted in the lock cylinder within fifteen seconds of removing the first valid key.

4. About ten seconds after the completion of Step 3, the security indicator in the instrument cluster will start to flash to indicate that the system has entered the Customer Learn programming mode.

5.Within sixty seconds of entering the Customer Learn programming mode, turn the ignition switch to the Off position, replace the valid Sentry Key with a blank Sentry Key transponder, and turn the ignition switch back to the On position.

6.About ten seconds after the completion of Step 5, the security indicator will stop flashing, stay on solid for three seconds, then turn off to indicate that the blank Sentry Key has been successfully programmed. The SKIS will immediately exit the Customer Learn programming mode. After the ignition is cycled the vehicle may be started using the newly programmed valid Sentry Key.

Each of these steps must be repeated and completed in their entirety for each additional Sentry Key that is to be programmed. If the above steps are not completed in the given sequence, or within the allotted time, the SKIM will exit the Customer Learn programming mode and the programming will be unsuccessful. The SKIM will also automatically exit the Customer Learn programming mode if it sees a non-blank Sentry Key transponder when it should see a blank, if it has already programmed eight (8) valid Sentry Keys, or if the ignition switch is turned to the Off position for more than about fifty seconds

NOTE: If an attempt is made to start the vehicle while in the Customer Learn mode (security indicator flashing), the SKIS will respond as though the vehicle were being started with an invalid key. In other words, the engine will stall after about two seconds of operation. No faults will be set.

NOTE: Once a Sentry Key has been programmed as a valid key to a vehicle, it cannot be programmed as a valid key for use on any other vehicle.

Last edited:
5_0_BAIT said:
where the hell are all the Dodge techs on the forum when you need them??? GA where ya at???
HAHAHAHA I was hiding, For the chipped key to be programmed it has to be done at the dealer using our DRB scan tool. There might be of other ways to do it but I dotn know of any others :)

5_0_BAIT said:
Thanks MoparConnection. I knew that there must be some way around the dealership learn. Any negatives for programming it ourselves???

the only neg. is that i dont have two valid keys as stated by mopars instructions....

Latest posts

Support Us

Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Back