Cat ?'s

BlackViperRam04

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have a few questions about cats:

1. Why are there 4 cats on our trucks?
2. Do you have to do anything if you remove the back 2?
3. Does anybody make catless mids that bolt up to the stock manifolds or do I have to just step up to the plate and buy some headers?

Yes, there are several that make em without cats. Someone was just selling catless mids? John S?

I may even cut my high flows off.

1. I don't know
2. Nope, just take em off.
3. Yes, call boomer or your vendor of choice.

They have 4 cats because of the extreme emissions these engines put out espcially with the very conservative tune they have to pass emissions and keep the tranny's from dropping out.

If you drop a cat or two you may need sims, may not depends on truck and area.

Boomer, Steve austin, Bellanger, and some other companies make hi flo mids, and or catless mids with hi flo option.

huge gains can be had by removeing the 2 stockers and replacing with two hi flos, round about 20rwhp

You can remove the two rear cats without sims. They are not monitored by the PCM. The two front cats are. If you remove these, you need to replace the two rear O2 sensors with the sims. The rear O2 sensors are only there to tell the PCM if the front cats are functioning and turn the MIL on if they are not. The rear O2's do not feed tuning info like the front O2's do.

I'm new to this if i cut of my two back cats and go with the maganflow cat back would that effect my warranty? Do you see a big with just the 2 back cats and the exhaust maganflow offers?

VA VIPERAM said:
You can remove the two rear cats without sims. They are not monitored by the PCM. The two front cats are. If you remove these, you need to replace the two rear O2 sensors with the sims. The rear O2 sensors are only there to tell the PCM if the front cats are functioning and turn the MIL on if they are not. The rear O2's do not feed tuning info like the front O2's do.

I guess I'll be cutting some cats off tomorrow:rock:

I debating on whether to flange them or not so I can just bolt them back in. I think if I flange it it would look too suspicious and might get hassled when inspection time comes around. Speaking of inspections, did you know in VA your car can't pass inspection with the airbag light on? I just found this out when I was getting my Caprice inspected. It has a Billet Specialties steering wheel with no airbag. Now I need to find a place to "hook me up" with a sticker.

Yeah, I noticed you're in Virginia too. You may want to just gut them, so they look like they're there for the inspection. As you know, we have no "sniffer" for inspection yet, but they do look for missing cats.
About the airbag light, they also turn you down if your MIL is on.

VA VIPERAM said:
Yeah, I noticed you're in Virginia too. You may want to just gut them, so they look like they're there for the inspection. As you know, we have no "sniffer" for inspection yet, but they do look for missing cats.
About the airbag light, they also turn you down if your MIL is on.

Where in VA are you?

BlackViperRam04 said:
Have any connections for inspection stickers?
I did years ago, but I moved to TN in 1989 and then back here in 1998. By then, all my friends had moved on to different jobs.
The penalties are so stiff now, its hard to get anybody to "look the other way". I guess I don't blame them.

I hear you on that. My neighbor used to be able to get them from his brother but he said that he got in quite a bit of trouble. I might just go to the junk yard to get one to throw in there and go get it done.

Back in 1977, I had to take my 70 Corvette to a particular dealer that would look the other way on the side pipes I had ( not stock and not offered that year). Your post brought back memories of my hometown of Hampton.:)

A lot of military bases do inspections and they don't really look at the cars. That might be an option if you have access to a base.

I gutted mine..all 4 of them, gained about 27 rwhp

Looks completely stock expect for being completely loud :D

I'm cutting mine off tomorrow (high flows x 2).

Latest posts

Support Us

Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Back