CEL x 2 at 1K miles

Get Bit

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Took the truck in last week and thought I got the P 0042 code fixed. Well it was fine since friday, I have since did all my mods, etc. CEL came on again this morning.

THe common denominator is that I did get fuel last night. I did however make sure that the cap 'clicked' 3 times, etc. Drove it home about 9 miles. no problem. Left it in the driveway, then later pulled it into the garage, no problems. Then forst thing this morning, about 1blk from the house, there is the damn light again. I am wondering if it is gas cap related. They said they replaced the Evap pump last week.

Now I get to pull the Stage II and take it back in. :(

Also, aafter talking to the Service manager, I tiink I am going to try and replace the gas cap. However with them reseting the CEL, should I pull out the stage II? Is there a chance that they would re-flash the PCM with just reseting the code?

I am sure I know the "better to be safe than sorry answer" I was just not sure if or when they reset CEL's, it would show them anything different with the Stage II being installed.

Thanks again guys.

Just them resetting the code shouldn't matter. But if they start looking they might see things have been changed and flag you in the computer. Just put the old PCM in.

FlyingLow said:
Just them resetting the code shouldn't matter. But if they start looking they might see things have been changed and flag you in the computer. Just put the old PCM in.

This would be my suggestion as well. Don't give them anything to rag you about. Maybe even make it look dirty and dusty so as to make it look like it's never been off...

Stretch

if you do put the old pcm in there will be no dtc's ofcoarse. you will have to drive it until the light comes on. have you pulled the codes yet? what are they?

P 0042, same one I got last week. Damn, and that means I have to drive it around for a few days W/O having the stage II, that is not much fun! :)

Stupid question, did you mean code P0442? P0042 doesn't exist and P0442 is for the EVAP system (medium leak detected).

Stingray said:
Stupid question, did you mean code P0442? P0042 doesn't exist and P0442 is for the EVAP system (medium leak detected).

Yes, sorry, it is the P0442, which is what I had last week.

i think you probably haved a cracked evap hose somewhere. we see it all the time, and med leaks are usually hoses.

Latest posts

Support Us

Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Back