changing out the sterring wheel

There's a process since there's airbags and potentially steering wheel controls involved. Should have a steering wheel puller, but they're fairly common. What are you changing it to?

hashash said:
is it a simple process ?

Yes, it is easy to do. Just be sure to buy a new steering wheel bolt, throw the used one away. Sean @ Roe sells them for few bucks (buy a couple in case you do something similar in future). Also, there's a thick black plastic ring around the bolt with a thin black ring insert that spins, tape that in the position it was exactly when your removed the wheel. If that spins 1" or 5" in any direction, your steering will be outta whack. ;) As for the wiring, just take your time and remove them and label them if you need to. Just a case of reading what's in front of you.

SteeringWheel1.jpg

Carl,
a bit off topic but still related. Is there any way to swap the radio controls? Should be the same switches I would think. Maybe the same connectors where I could swap those? I really wish volume was on the left.

walbert said:
Carl,
a bit off topic but still related. Is there any way to swap the radio controls? Should be the same switches I would think. Maybe the same connectors where I could swap those? I really wish volume was on the left.
On paper it's easy enough to do, wires are wires, just a matter of re-routing them to the new and desired locaiton. ;)
Or, as you say, simply swap the actual control housings themself over? Not 100% sure sorry, worth looking into though.

blackviper said:
What are you up to now Carl?
Interior for the auto conversion. Had the 4L80E auto in for testing - perfect. Now we're happy after running it hard and on long trips (ie: running it in), the console can be installed. Should be complete in 3-4 weeks taking out time and doing it once, doing it right. :)

It is pretty important to disconnect the battery when fooling with the steering wheel...just in case someone might forget...

Prof said:
It is pretty important to disconnect the battery when fooling with the steering wheel...just in case someone might forget...
Yep the air bag is deployed by an explosive charge.......best fiqure out how to disarm it.

includemeout said:
Yep the air bag is deployed by an explosive charge.......best fiqure out how to disarm it.
As far as I'm aware and in my experience, doing as Roy said which I forgot to mention (being very important) is to just disconnect the battery.
You'll be fine near the air bag, off the top of my head it's only 1 or 2 wires going to the padded air bag steering wheel center cap.

Latest posts

Support Us

Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Back