Chirp from Drive Pulleys

SlvrSnake

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Getting a chirping when idling from the drive pulleys. Most likely the idler pulley or the tensioner? I am thinking its the idler. Any opinions on what is usually the one causing this.

The belt looks fine. No cracks or worn edges and it is not wobbling so everything seems true just annoying chirping.

Hope this helps

SlvrSnake said:
Getting a chirping when idling from the drive pulleys. Most likely the idler pulley or the tensioner? I am thinking its the idler. Any opinions on what is usually the one causing this.

The belt looks fine. No cracks or worn edges and it is not wobbling so everything seems true just annoying chirping.
If you have an automotive stethoscope You can put the end probe on each center bearing with the engine idling to listen for the chirp.
If you don't have a stethoscope you can use a long wooden dowel of a long screwdriver to do the same thing.
Put one end to your ear and the other end to the center of the idler bearing. Check the water and power steering pumps with the dowel on the edge of the part.
Be careful not go get the listening device too close to the belt or pulleys when they are moving.
This should amplify and isolate your "chirp".
You did not say how many miles your truck has on it.

Sometimes the belt itself will chirp on the pulleys.
To check this use some water in a spray bottle and spray the belt with the engine running and if the chirp goes away, it is the belt itself.

FSTJACK said:
If you have an automotive stethoscope You can put the end probe on each center bearing with the engine idling to listen for the chirp.
If you don't have a stethoscope you can use a long wooden dowel of a long screwdriver to do the same thing.
Put one end to your ear and the other end to the center of the idler bearing. Check the water and power steering pumps with the dowel on the edge of the part.
Be careful not go get the listening device too close to the belt or pulleys when they are moving.

To check this use some water in a spray bottle and spray the belt with the engine running and if the chirp goes away, it is the belt itself.
Thanks for the advice. Truck has 24K on it and has had the idler replaced previously. About 12K or so I believe.

FSTJACK said:

To check this use some water in a spray bottle and spray the belt with the engine running and if the chirp goes away it is the belt itself.

I like you sig. High 12's huh. Is that in the 1 mile??? :D :D

SlvrSnake said:
I like you sig. High 12's huh. Is that in the 1 mile??? :D :D

This is my street truck so I can't expect too much out of it......:D:D:D

I don't have a cage in it so I don't think I can run any of the standing mile events.

I really would like to see how fast it would be in the mile.

I hope it will go fast enough in the 1/8th and 1/4 to get me kicked out of the track....:aetsch::aetsch::aetsch:

I am going to St Louis and JMB Justins next week to pick it up, and take it to Portland to get tuned....:):):)

FSTJACK said:
This is my street truck so I can't expect too much out of it......:D:D:D

I don't have a cage in it so I don't think I can run any of the standing mile events.

I really would like to see how fast it would be in the mile.

I hope it will go fast enough in the 1/8th and 1/4 to get me kicked out of the track....:aetsch::aetsch::aetsch:

I am going to St Louis and JMB Justins next week to pick it up, and take it to Portland to get tuned....:):):)

Best of Luck to you Jack...sounds like it's been a bit of a long haul...

Ronnie

Latest posts

Support Us

Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Back