Chrysler exits bankruptcy, Fiat steps in and makes changes immediately

Manic

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Fiat now owns a big chunk of Chrysler. Officially. Soon after the Supreme Court gave it the go-ahead, the sale of Chrysler to Fiat was complete. Altogether, the deal took just 42 days. With a couple of signatures and a wire transfer Wednesday morning, the sale was official. Fiat gets most of Chrysler's assets and $6.6 billion in "exit financing" from the federal government.

This can be seen as a victory of sorts for the Obama Administration, which had hoped to get Chrysler reorganized quickly and efficiently. Supporters say that the new Chrysler Group LLC has a good chance of being more competitive out of the box, having shed much of its legacy labor costs and debt, and Fiat's expertise with small cars shouldn't hurt either.

Official statements by current Chrysler CEO Bob Nardelli and Fiat's Sergio Marchionne are pasted in after the jump. Nardelli congratulates employees on being a part of "a leaner, healthier and more robust company," and says goodbye at the same time. He will return to a position with Cerberus. Marchionne introduces himself as the new CEO, former Toyota exec Jim Press as Deputy CEO, and Robert Kidder as board chairman. He also promises that the world's sixth largest automaker will begin to show signs of improvement immediately.

In related news, the Obama Administration has announced the appointment of a new 'Compensation Czar' to oversee the salaries and benefits packages awarded to 175 major executives at seven of America's biggest companies that receive federal aid. According to the New York Times, Washington attorney Kenneth R. Feinberg will have "broad discretion" in determining what compensation packages executives are awarded, including the top 25 decision makers at General Motors, GMAC, Chrysler, and Chrysler Finance.

For its part, as it emerges from bankruptcy, Chrysler's union retiree trust (VEBA) will own 55% of the company, with Fiat getting a 20% share that can grow to a max of 35%. The U.S. and Canadian governments split the rest. If the Fiat-Chrysler deal is any indication, General Motors may see a quick exit from bankruptcy as well, even without a Fiat of its own to step in and help. Now they just need to get people into showrooms with cash in hand.

http://www.autoblog.com/2009/06/10/fiat-completes-chrysler-acquisition-nardelli-steps-down-press/

Gee I've got a taste for spaghetti and the SRT version of this! :puke: :puke: :puke: :puke: :puke: :D

2008-Fiat-Fiorino-Qubo-1.jpg

and I quote..."Cars that America wants" :dontknow: :confused: :( :slug: :p :D

Last edited:
TREKER said:
Does this mean that sauce is now officially gravy?

My people are all Sicilian (2nd generation- grandparents immigrated). We never called it gravy. It was always pasta sauce..... or spaghetti sauce.

Just thought I'd mention that......

To us, gravy is made from chicken or beef stock- like that.

Not sure where "gravy" came from.... The Sopranos maybe? :dontknow:

Di Pietro

Django said:
My people are all Sicilian (2nd generation- grandparents immigrated). We never called it gravy. It was always pasta sauce..... or spaghetti sauce.

Di Pietro

Exactly... I never understood why they did that.. Thanks for the clear up Tim.

well....i guess its better than them (chrysler) from going away altogether:( :dontknow: wonder whats in store for the viper and the SRT line:dontknow:

Django said:

Di Pietro

My Grandfather came to the U.S. from around Messina in southern Italy...sauce with my family too...gravy is for biscuits (TN upbringing)

ChrisAZ said:
The two worst rated car companies for reliability come together. Good luck.

I have always owned Chrysler products and never had a major issue with any of them.
I had one down fall and bought a new '71 Rivera, wouldn't start the next mourning and had to tow it in.
Sure looked good but...

Most of the ratings are BS.
For one, Chrysler has better engines then Dodge.:dontknow:

Use to love the ratings for house paint.:D
Major consumer rag would always highly rate one brand over the others every single year.

I worked at a major paint company and more then six different paint brands were filled from the SAME tank!
And all would rate differently?
You want a rating ask the people....HERE!:congrats:

SANCHOBA said:
well....i guess its better than them (Chrysler) from going away altogether:( :dontknow: wonder whats in store for the viper and the SRT line:dontknow:

Viper is being sold... but no takers.
SRT at this point will still be produced as long as the models are (Charger, Challenger, ect...)

Dame shame about Viper :( They had a good staff

yea and check this out !!!! u think the gas from a shell station is better than another untill u see the same tanker truck fill several different stations !!! what !!!!!

Django said:

Di Pietro

spent a full year in Sicily and absolutely loved it! I really miss their pizza with french fries and the chicken panini with french fries covered in mayo and ketchup....oh yeah and the old school women still gots the hairy armpits...YIKES...

MikeNice said:
Viper is being sold... but no takers.
SRT at this point will still be produced as long as the models are (Charger, Challenger, ect...)

Dame shame about Viper :( They had a good staff

Yeah. Todd at Arrow Racing Engines was helping them move out of one of their buildings a week or so ago. On the up side, he was stockpiling stuff like cylinder liners, etc., for future use. No telling what's going to happen.

Wonder if the Audi Group might be interested?:p

They've done a fine job with Lambo.:)

SANCHOBA said:
well....i guess its better than them (chrysler) from going away altogether:( :dontknow: wonder whats in store for the viper and the SRT line:dontknow:
They ought to keep the carlyle facility, and continue to build the viper................:rock: :D :rock:

Latest posts

Support Us

Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Back