Clear coat on the wheels?

Falcon

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So I am thinking of plasti dipping my stock wheels (black of course). But it seems as if the clear coat (or whatever it is) is chipping off. Do the wheels have clear coat on them from the factory? I was just going to use a scotch brite pad, some dawn dish soap and some elboy grease to clean them but not sure how that will do with taking this clear coat off. Any guidance/info is appreciated!

You can plastidip over the clear, and I encourage you to. Don't ruin chances to go back to stock, that's the point of plastidip

Don't use a scratch pad! You will ruin them. I used simple green to wash then I plasti dipped them. And fyi. I love em now

The plasti dip will be a pain in the butt to get off the areas without clear coat. I have 3 wheels with perfect clear coat and had 0 issues on those when I took it off. But I have one wheel that's missing clear coat completely and I STILL have plasti dip that I can't get off. I don't know what the problem is but it stuck to the aluminum.

Other than that, enjoy the Plasti Dip! It's great stuff.

I heard alot of people doing this and at my last car show (on the 7th), I finally got to see someone who done it to their Challenger and it looked great, minus the overspray on the tires that would rub off onto your finger (he just did them the day of the show). Seems to be a good fix or anyone with scratched rims or someone who's curious to know what their ride would look like with black rims without spending the money for them. Best of luck with yours and don't forget to post pics.

heard its suppose to look decent still glad to have mine just powder coated :) but i didnt want temporary

Well powder coat is in the future....but not for a long time. So I figured I would plastidip them in the meantime. My only concern is part of the clear coat is coming off....just don't know if that will show up with the plastidip or if it will continue to flake off.

Well powder coat is in the future....but not for a long time. So I figured I would plastidip them in the meantime. My only concern is part of the clear coat is coming off....just don't know if that will show up with the plastidip or if it will continue to flake off.

Plasti-Dip is really good at smoothing itself out and filling in the gaps. As long as you apply it evenly and smooth, it'll turn out great and no-one will see the difference from where the clear coat is missing.

Pics please

here's one. I have some on facebook but not in a position to add them at the moment.
IMG-20120511-00434.jpg

Wow.....looks awesome!

Thanks. That was taken the day I did them. They look just as good now. After I carefully hand wash them and let them dry I spray Meguirs tire spray on the tire and rim and let sit about 10 min then wipe off all the excess. I love the look but my largest goal is to be completely returnable to stock one day. :/

Thanks. That was taken the day I did them. They look just as good now. After I carefully hand wash them and let them dry I spray Meguirs tire spray on the tire and rim and let sit about 10 min then wipe off all the excess. I love the look but my largest goal is to be completely returnable to stock one day. :/

Black lug nuts would finish it off.

Black lug nuts would finish it off.

I like the stock lug nuts. kinda gives some contrast. Black ones look good too. These dont cost anything tho;)
Nice.....how long have you had them done?

I did them about 2 months ago. have washed it twice in that amount of time. It hasnt been in the garage but 2 weeks of that bc i am rebuilding my jet ski in the garage at the moment.

I used it for my winter set, also oem SRT rims. It looks great but you do lose a lot of dip with the spray cans. the spray pattern isn't that good. If you have access to a paint gun i would suggest to buy plasti dip in a euh (how do you call it in english ?) :confused: container ? Well without the pressurized part... :eek:

Latest posts

Support Us

Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Back