Clipper 2.5 MW Liberty Wind Turbine

devildog02 said:
I was told at my Cedar Rapids plant that we need a 5mph wind to make power, and I was told today by the field tech guys that max power is right around 8 meter a second. He didnt and I dont know what that converts to in MPH, but I do know ours do very well in low wind, better then anything else made here. as for high wind, if it gets up there it will be shut down. I do not know at what speed that is though. I can send an email to the plant and see who you should talk to if you like:dontknow: I would not be able to get back to you until late tomorrow night. were working a lot of hours out here.:( its gonna take a while for the other vids, it takes a while for me to upload on photo bucket:mad:

8 meters/second is 17.89549032 mph:D

bigike said:
2.3 MW is a big damn wind genny!

2.3 MW take about 3000+ HP to create the power. Big blades.
2.5 MW and some of ours are making more. I cant remember how long the blades are but I do know the 3 blades turning is a 1.5 acres circle:rock: yes it is a bunch of hp!!
Ill get some new vids up tomorrow night.

devildog02 said:
Hey everyone. As some of you know I work for Clipper Wind. I'm out in the field now and got to climb my first tower!:rock: Part of the climb test was to get on top of the nicelle. The platform, which is where I took the video from is 180' tall! First timmers are not allowed to use the manlift, so its stright up the ladder!:dontknow: :argh: Im sore as all get out!:D This vid is from the Crystal Lake, Iowa wind farm. We have 80 there. Ill be traveling all over in the near months if things go as planed. Might hit some of you up for good places to eat dinner! Ill get some better video soon!

Nice having you back around!

Haven't heard much from you lately...I guess you have been with this company for a few years now!

I'll be motoring across Iowa next Tuesday on my way to Denver.

Roy

The company that I work for makes the steel that is used to build them.

we do the smaller 1.5's all the time.
and have taken them from atona ny to Michigan to tug hill ECT. we do allot here. i transport them of coarse, here is one of mine in the news....

http://www.wind-watch.org/news/2009/03/07/altona-wind-turbine-collapse-photos/

lol.

i only pinch hit for blades and turbines, my prices are too high to win any contracts. thats why there are so many accidents, because cheaper is better.....

http://www.windaction.org/news/9768
one of yours?

to date i have hit 0 overhead structures. i have one at 5:30 in the am.

just saying you should ask for performance records, and not assume that someone cheap will be the lowest cost.

we put 50 of these units (clipper)in cohocton ny.slight problem with the blades in which they were stress cracking so they all needed repair.they are pretty amazing though..

ryan said:
we put 50 of these units (clipper)in cohocton ny.slight problem with the blades in which they were stress cracking so they all needed repair.they are pretty amazing though..

i worked a bit on that site with cranes and such.

devildog02 said:
2.5 MW and some of ours are making more. I cant remember how long the blades are but I do know the 3 blades turning is a 1.5 acres circle:rock: yes it is a bunch of hp!!
Ill get some new vids up tomorrow night.

My dad works for the same company, he is one of their quality engineers, tells me the blades are 151 feet long.. I have a picture somewhere of one of them lying on the ground in the back of the building.. friggin huge.

scoobert said:
i worked a bit on that site with cranes and such.

For mortinson or clipper? i was in the yard at dansville. we unloaded and loaded them there.we also have ge towers there,but they are not near the size of clippers.

ryan said:
For mortinson or clipper? i was in the yard at dansville. we unloaded and loaded them there.we also have ge towers there,but they are not near the size of clippers.

not sure who the crane was for.
also work with that German company burkhauser??? or however you spell it.

I was to tired yesterday to post any pics.:( I did get a good nights sleep though:rock:
Hey Roy- Im glad to be back, are you taking your truck to denver? If your coming through NW Iowa maybe we could meet up:dontknow: I did drive mine up here.
500snakz- what company do you work for? We use a lot of steel.
Scoobert- the cylinder that feel off that truck was not ours to the best of my knowlege. I do remember that artical though. I also agree about your performance records vs. cost thery, but I have nothing to do with that side of the company.
Ryan- We are 6 months or so into a complete blade remedeation. We do not build our own blades, and I was told its a global problem. The 96% availabity includes the maintance and remeations, everytime the turbine is shut down to my knowlege.
Scott- How have you been? I get a chacne to talk to your dad every now and then. Do you still have your rail? Im so out of the loop here. Did you get your truck sold?
Here is about 190' up, and why im so sore!
ontopofthenacelle002.jpg
[/IMG]

devildog02 said:
Hey Roy- Im glad to be back, are you taking your truck to denver? If your coming through NW Iowa maybe we could meet up:dontknow: I did drive mine up here.

I will be on a mission to get to Denver as fast as possible, and I will be in the daily driver not the truck!

Prof said:
I will be on a mission to get to Denver as fast as possible, and I will be in the daily driver not the truck!
There is a brewery in Co. That makes a beer called "Fat Tire" The brewery is powered by wind and the beer is good. Give it a try. Have a safe trip.

i heard GE and other company's were looking for people like you to maintain the turbines. i was thinking about joining up.
i was told 80k a year, two free years of college
but i am too fat i bet.
so i will just stick to driving the loads here and there.

nice view eh? why not bring a good camera and grab some high rez pics?

devildog02 I work for Nucor Steel in Hertford County. We make a lot of windtower stuff for a lot of diff steel suplyers. Leeco, Chapel, Samuel, are just a few of our customers.

Cohocton NY

ryan said:
CohoctonNY004.jpg
[/IMG] Here is a pic of the blade repair project in Cohocton NY. I just got here late last night. It is neat up here!! I think im going to be here for 2 months:dontknow: Im working on a different project. I have some more pics if you would like to see them:rock:

Latest posts

Support Us

Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Back