clutch no start issue

earl lee

Full Access Member
Reaction score
This actually just started last night after I was leaving a gas station. I depress the clutch, hit the push button start nothing.......

I have full power, i know I was getting fuel pressure, battery is not low, dont think it is the start as it didnt struggle to turn the big block.

Im sure something is up with the clutch, to get it started I had to push the start button while either depressing the clutch the or coming up slowly with the clutch then it would start.

It did it again this morning, is there a sensor or fuse or something I need to look at it? Just give me some ideas.

There is a switch

It is on the clutch master cylinder rod on the inside of the truck at the top of the pedal. Very easy to replace.

I would call it a clutch safety switch, same function as a neutral safety switch on an auto trans. vehicle.

You can bypass it by cutting two wires going to clutch safety switch and connecting them. I believe a new switch is part of the master cyl. Could be wrong though. New master is discontinued so we use Viper car hydraulics. The truck slave and Viper master don't connect so the salve is replaced as well.
Or...just bypass it, lol.

You can bypass it by cutting two wires going to clutch safety switch and connecting them. I believe a new switch is part of the master cyl. Could be wrong though. New master is discontinued so we use Viper car hydraulics. The truck slave and Viper master don't connect so the salve is replaced as well.

If I bypass, that means I can start the truck up without needing to depress the clutch right?

They should have just gave it the viper hydraulics from the start, why be cheap and waste money to R & D cheap parts when you already have the proper parts. Car companies, smh. :mad:

If I bypass, that means I can start the truck up without needing to depress the clutch right?
Yes thats right and I dont know about you but its an accident waiting to happen. If it were me I would not bypass it at all. Here is a pic of what you need to find and it connects to the rod coming off of the clutch pedal under the drivers dash. Very easy to remove/install.
2ad3e2d32d8e44a5027da95c4e0c31b0.jpg

"going mach 2 with my hair on fire!"

Yes thats right and I dont know about you but its an accident waiting to happen. If it were me I would not bypass it at all. Here is a pic of what you need to find and it connects to the rod coming off of the clutch pedal under the drivers dash. Very easy to remove/install.
2ad3e2d32d8e44a5027da95c4e0c31b0.jpg

That's the ticket right there. There is also a white locking tab that slides in on top of part pictured to keep it on the rod. I can check to see if the part is still available through the dealer.

What kind of mechanic tells a person to bypass a safety switch?? Our master cylinders are not discontinued, Scotty. Now your back to your usual misinformation and bad judgement calls!!

Last edited by a moderator:
What kind of mechanic tells a person to bypass a safety switch?? Our master cylinders are not discontinued, you were doing so good scotty now your back to your usual misinformation and bad judgement calls!! I FIGURED IT WOULDN'T BE LONG...Now you can start with you usual insults...

Because I work on these trucks daily do you? Ok the master may not be discontinued but it's no longer available through Mopar. Is that better?
Hmm did you know that prior to maybe early 90s manual Trans didn't have a safety switch???? But you know it all and always come around to start shit! These switches are crap and come apart often on trucks with someone stranded on the other end of my phone, email, whatever! Yup, I explain to them a pocketknife and twisting two wires will get them on the road. Ya know what? They're awfully grateful ;)

No but it should be cleaned up! Seems you support this behavior?

I always encourage discussion. I like knowing that if my truck were stranded due to a faulty switch that I could bypass it. I also like knowing where I can buy a switch, where it is on my truck, and how to replace it. Seems like either perspective has something to offer.

That's the ticket right there. There is also a white locking tab that slides in on top of part pictured to keep it on the rod. I can check to see if the part is still available through the dealer.

Is the part still available? I dont want to cut any wires, thats only if im stranded. I'll likely be parking the truck. If I have to do the viper clutch upgrades then it will be sitting for a few months until spring. Im still hurting from x-mas. I still have my srt-6 so its not life or death.

I just didnt plan on changing out my master until it was bad, 75k and it is still working. Ughhhhh.

If you happen to find out that you can get that tab then please let me know as well. I got stranded one day and had the same issue but fortunately the truck started and I came back home. I started researching and found out about this safety switch and once I took mine out I realized that it was still plugged up but someone had took it off the rod and took some cardboard and pushed the switch in and shoved the cardboard in to keep the switch engaged so to speak and the cardboard had worked itself loose. So come to find out, my switch wasnt even on the rod and was technically bypassed. Completely janky. smh. I pulled the cardboard out and snapped it on the rod. Been working perfectly for months now but I dont have that clip. There are also a reason that different things have changed since the old days. This safety switch is there for a reason and as junky as it may be there is no way I would bypass it and cut the wires to the switch.

Is the part still available? I dont want to cut any wires, thats only if im stranded. I'll likely be parking the truck. If I have to do the viper clutch upgrades then it will be sitting for a few months until spring. Im still hurting from x-mas. I still have my srt-6 so its not life or death.

I just didnt plan on changing out my master until it was bad, 75k and it is still working. Ughhhhh.

Let me see if it is available.

If you happen to find out that you can get that tab then please let me know as well. I got stranded one day and had the same issue but fortunately the truck started and I came back home. I started researching and found out about this safety switch and once I took mine out I realized that it was still plugged up but someone had took it off the rod and took some cardboard and pushed the switch in and shoved the cardboard in to keep the switch engaged so to speak and the cardboard had worked itself loose. So come to find out, my switch wasnt even on the rod and was technically bypassed. Completely janky. smh. I pulled the cardboard out and snapped it on the rod. Been working perfectly for months now but I dont have that clip. There are also a reason that different things have changed since the old days. This safety switch is there for a reason and as junky as it may be there is no way I would bypass it and cut the wires to the switch.

I will see if the clip itself is available separate from the switch.

Mines been disconnected for 4 years! Not one time have I started it in gear with my foot off the clutch! How often do you start yours with your foot off the clutch? Let's take a poll! See what I'm saying? It's there for the 1 in 1,000,000,000 time a kid or idiot turns the key to on, the truck happens to be in gear, and they hit the red button. Come on now

Latest posts

Support Us

Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Back