clutch no start issue

This safety switch is there for a reason and as junky as it may be there is no way I would bypass it and cut the wires to the switch.

"going to vet video of my pubic hair on fire!"

You say that now, but you might change your mind if you were stranded on the side of the road.

You say that now, but you might change your mind if you were stranded on the side of the road.

My point exactly! And I've helped so many with this common issue. Even do it till your new part gets in, but don't rely on a ride or being stranded or leaving your truck in a not so great part of town or whatever just because of this.
:)

Mines been disconnected for 4 years! Not one time have I started it in gear with my foot off the clutch! How often do you start yours with your foot off the clutch? Let's take a poll! See what I'm saying? It's there for the 1 in 1,000,000,000 time a kid or idiot turns the key to on, the truck happens to be in gear, and they hit the red button. Come on now
Well I have a 4 year old boy that loves my truck and thinks its so cool to be able to crank it with a push of a button and as curious as kids can be im not taking the chance or the risk of the day hes outside playing and decides to be curious george and open daddys truck door so he can push the cool red button. No thanks.

"going mach 2 with my hair on fire!"

And that will be the day I unplug it, find something to cross the connection through the factory plug to get me home and then get another switch.

MHO it's absolutely ghetto to cut factory plugs off of anything on a vehicle.

Well I have a 4 year old boy that loves my truck and thinks its so cool to be able to crank it with a push of a button and as curious as kids can be im not taking the chance or the risk of the day hes outside playing and decides to be curious george and open daddys truck door so he can push the cool red button. No thanks.

And you give him the keys too? Just saying, lol

MHO it's absolutely ghetto to cut factory plugs off of anything on a vehicle.

You're not cutting the plug off, your going to the switch side of wiring that'll be replaced when you but your new switch ;)

And you give him the keys too? Just saying, lol
Yea I give him the keys and tell him to take it for a spin......come on. Kids will always find a way to be kids. Its not like I lock my keys in my gun safe.
You're not cutting the plug off, your going to the switch side of wiring that'll be replaced when you but your new switch ;)
Yea I understand that in a pinch but I was basically just stating that for the record is all.

Because I work on these trucks daily do you? Ok the master may not be discontinued but it's no longer available through Mopar. Is that better?
Hmm did you know that prior to maybe early 90s manual Trans didn't have a safety switch???? But you know it all and always come around to start shit! These switches are crap and come apart often on trucks with someone stranded on the other end of my phone, email, whatever! Yup, I explain to them a pocketknife and twisting two wires will get them on the road. Ya know what? They're awfully grateful ;)
Soo crawl back into your hole and tweak those Massey Fergusons :chain:

Start shit? I only corrected you....Now you started shit with your poor advise and misinformation...Telling someone to jump a safety switch is one of the most irresponsible things you could do being a mechanic- like you say you are..Your obviously not smart enough to realize what you have to loose if someone jumped that switch and killed another person . .Thank you for foolishly putting lives in your hands...It has nothing to do with cars not having safety switches, its for fools like you that these switches had to be installed in the first place...I JUST BOUGHT A MOPAR MASTER CYLINDER FROM MOPAR THIS SUMMER, THEY ARE AVAILABLE. THE SAFETY SWITCH IS SEPERATE, NOW IF YOU KNOW SO MUCH ABOUT THESE TRUCKS WHY DIDN'T YOU KNOW THAT??..So call it what you want Scotty Boy, but as long as your on here spouting off like you know what your talking about, I'll be here to set you straight- as usual...

Last edited:
Just a suggestion but maybe we should bypass our seat belts and air bags as well?? Oh well...sounded like a good suggestion anyway.

Just a suggestion but maybe we should bypass our seat belts and air bags as well?? Oh well...sounded like a good suggestion anyway.

For some of us it might be a good suggestion and a conversation worth having. First thing I do when I get a vehicle is disable the seatbelt warning buzzer, automatic locking door locks, etc. Then again, I'm not the kind of person that believes it's the car manufacturers, or governments, job to protect me from myself.

They didn't have them in the 1920s so I guess we can just toss them!!

I didn't have them in my 1968, 1969, or 1970 Jeep trucks. I didn't have them in my 1968, 1969, or 1972 Power Wagons. There weren't in my '68 Caddy, nor were they in my 1969 GMC or my 1972 C20 (yeah, I've always been a truck guy). And I made it through driving them just fine. It should be up to the individual owner as to how much safety equipment they choose in their vehicle.

If you happen to find out that you can get that tab then please let me know as well. I got stranded one day and had the same issue but fortunately the truck started and I came back home. I started researching and found out about this safety switch and once I took mine out I realized that it was still plugged up but someone had took it off the rod and took some cardboard and pushed the switch in and shoved the cardboard in to keep the switch engaged so to speak and the cardboard had worked itself loose. So come to find out, my switch wasnt even on the rod and was technically bypassed. Completely janky. smh. I pulled the cardboard out and snapped it on the rod. Been working perfectly for months now but I dont have that clip. There are also a reason that different things have changed since the old days. This safety switch is there for a reason and as junky as it may be there is no way I would bypass it and cut the wires to the switch.

Card board are you serious? **edited**

Last edited by a moderator:
Card board are you serious? What happen you break down in Hazzard county and let Cooter work on it after he finished the general lee?
Cooter would have probably done a better job.

Mines been disconnected for 4 years! Not one time have I started it in gear with my foot off the clutch! How often do you start yours with your foot off the clutch? Let's take a poll! See what I'm saying? It's there for the 1 in 1,000,000,000 time a kid or idiot turns the key to on, the truck happens to be in gear, and they hit the red button. Come on now

Mine is disconnected and start it all the time without pressing the clutch. Cold here in GA so most morning I open door reach in and push the button. I will admit that yes one time it was in gear I was in a hurry and if not for parking break it would have went right through garage door. Totally my fault for being in a hurry but I do not recommend bypassing it even though all my cars have been that way.

I didn't have them in my 1968, 1969, or 1970 Jeep trucks. I didn't have them in my 1968, 1969, or 1972 Power Wagons. There weren't in my '68 Caddy, nor were they in my 1969 GMC or my 1972 C20 (yeah, I've always been a truck guy). And I made it through driving them just fine. It should be up to the individual owner as to how much safety equipment they choose in their vehicle.

Yeah your right it should be up to the owner, not cooter trying to finger fuck something just to irresponsibly get them off the road....Hey guys give me a pat on the back I just got a customer off the road...what a joke...

When I was 5 I hopped in my dad's F 250, put both feet on the clutch, reached up and turned the key. My friend standing next to the open driver door. I wasn't strong enough to hold the clutch down for long, even with my butt on the floor. As it lurched forward and took out the supporting beams of the second story deck I knew I was in big trouble. Do they offer a safety? Sometimes. I was lucky I didn't get hurt, lucky I didn't run my friend over, and lucky my father loved me enough to walk 3 miles to work for 2 weeks while he saved enough money to buy a beat up 78 tbird. Oh, and last year when my clutch safety switch broke in my civic on Flatbush Ave in Brooklyn NY, you better believe my skinny redneck white ass cut those wires and drove home.

Latest posts

Support Us

Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Back